Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Kia 2015 Kia Optima LX
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have been slacking with my 2015 Kia Optima. I bought it with 20k miles about 4 years ago. It currently has about 135k miles and I have not touched the transmission. Should I drain and refill the transmission fluid? Should I change the filter? Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,398 Posts
There is no serviceable filter, so just drain and refill and you'll be good to go. Although these transmissions are pretty durable it's always good to give it some new fluid, albeit 4-5 qts, just can't remember quantity I used,.but did use Valvoline MaxLife synthetic atf.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Hello, I have been slacking with my 2015 Kia Optima. I bought it with 20k miles about 4 years ago. It currently has about 135k miles and I have not touched the transmission. Should I drain and refill the transmission fluid? Should I change the filter? Any help would be appreciated.
Just make sure you put in the same amount you got out!

·
Registered
2013 Ebony SXL Turbo: Original Everything @ about 189K with Drag wheels.
348 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,398 Posts
The only problem with refilling with the amount that has been removed, one never knows if the trans was full before draining.

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
1,147 Posts
The only problem with refilling with the amount that has been removed, one never knows if the trans was full before draining.
LOL this is especially notable given that AFAIK these Optimas don't come with a tranny fluid dipstick...

·
Registered
2011 Optima
73 Posts
Doesn't it have a fill plug on the side? Don't you fill it til it slightly drips out a little from there? Is the valve body vertical? The instruction state that it should flow out slightly, so I'm assuming that it is

·
Registered
91 Posts
Just remember a drain and fill doesn't drain the entire trans so you need to do it 3 times to replace most of the fluid, driving a few miles between changes.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
178 Posts
Doesn't it have a fill plug on the side? Don't you fill it til it slightly drips out a little from there? Is the valve body vertical? The instruction state that it should flow out slightly, so I'm assuming that it is
You can do that with a hose connected to a funnel but there is a fill hole in the top that you remove the big plastic bolt and fill very slowly using a funnel.

·
Registered
2011 Optima
73 Posts
You can do that with a hose connected to a funnel but there is a fill hole in the top that you remove the big plastic bolt and fill very slowly using a funnel.
So ,fill from the fill hole on top, and just just watch it flow out the side and that should be good?

·
Registered
2021 KIA Forte EX
370 Posts
Here is a good video on the process for a 2012 Sonata. There are different ways to re-fill. If you plan to re-fill from the top, I think the overflow plug needs to be installed.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Its not a hard thing guys lift the vehicle so that its level. Drain, and measure how much youremoved and refill with the same amount. The vehicle must be level. When refilling place a catch pan under the side over fill plug (remove it) because some will come out. I typically get around 4 liters out. The hardest thing about this is getting the vehicle level and removing the plastic belly pans. Takes me about one hour and I only have 1 arm.

·
Registered
2011 Optima
73 Posts
What I ddid on a Camry before, is disconnect the pressure line to the cooler and put in in the drain pan, had someone turn the engine on till the line started to shoot a little air, turn it off,add oil, do the same. I kept doing the same procedure til it came out Red like the oil that I kept pouring in. Never had a problem with it and ALL the fluid that came out was dirty Brown oil. I'm wanting to do this, too on mine.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts