Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys good to be here. I have this kia Optima 2013. The transmission drive light goes off on the dashboard after a few meters driving. Secondly, when parked in traffic the transmission takes time to move. Thirdly, I hear a sound when the transmission changes like I have been hit by a car...

·
Registered
2013 Ebony SXL Turbo: Original Everything @ about 189K with Drag wheels.
348 Posts
I would start by verifying the transmission fluid level is correct while observing its condition (translucent red, brown, black). It is not very DIY on these vehicles. Temptation would be to do a drain/fill to see if that helps the shift feel and dash light. Is there a CEL on?

·
Registered
2013 Ebony SXL Turbo: Original Everything @ about 189K with Drag wheels.
348 Posts
Check engine light on dash. It may be set or have a pending code (almost meets criteria). You can read the code #s via an ODB2 reader or take car to autozone or like place, they'll read codes for free and give some light insight into what they mean.

You mention a 'transmission drive light'. Looking thru manual, I don't see an indicator named like that.

I mean the symptoms you describe, of course, are not good. Fluid changes may likely help, they are somewhat DIY. Here is a how to:

Here is a snipet on the 'TCM' (transmission control module), it may have stored information about the trans issues:

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok.
The drive light I'm talking about is 'the light on the dashboard when you shift the gear to anywhere and it will indicate on the dashboard that signal goes off after a few meters driving.

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,191 Posts
Could you post a photo of the gear indicator signal you mention? Do you mean the indication that says "D" or "R" etc.? Or are you talking about how the indicator sometimes has a number like "2" when you are in 2nd gear, and it changes to "3" for 3rd gear?

Also, explain more on what you mean when you describe the transmission as taking time to move? Transmissions do not move. Are you talking about shifting? Like how the transmission will downshift when you come to a stop?

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima SXL
594 Posts
In an '11 Sonata Ltd (& Forum Thread below for '11 Optima) My Gear Letters DISAPPEARED / Weird Shifting WHEN the Inhibitor Switch went bad ( SvcTkt also called it - Tran Range Switch - shorted/Replaced).
Surely Kia / Hyundai Error Codes are identical and P0705 was the Code. AutoZone will read for you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts