Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima EX
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It started about 90K and now I'm at 135k and its getting worse. When for stop position and start going the first gear makes the car jerk. Everything else is fine. Some times it doesn't do it. No check engine light. Any thoughts ? I had the dealer do 35 mile test and didn't find anything.

·
Registered
2013 Ebony SXL Turbo: Original Everything @ about 189K with Drag wheels.
348 Posts
Done any drain/fills of trans fluid? If not, if it were mine, that is the first thing I'd try. Cleaner fluid can help solenoids perform more smoothly. A firm shift isn't always fun but it is better than a mushy, super soft shift that is slipping along the way.

On other autos that had troubles shifting in cold weather, I had them flushed at pro place with proper equipment. It fixed those problems right away. But I think a one or two drain-fills should help considerably.

·
Registered
348 Posts
well shift solenoids are what controls shifting, they're affected by line pressure, so perhaps the 1-2 solenoid is failing slowing. They aren't difficult to get to, always on the bottom of an automatic trans so only bottom section needs to drop, perhaps not too expensive a part and labor to install?

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima EX
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
well shift solenoids are what controls shifting, they're affected by line pressure, so perhaps the 1-2 solenoid is failing slowing. They aren't difficult to get to, always on the bottom of an automatic trans so only bottom section needs to drop, perhaps not too expensive a part and labor to install?
That's what I'm thinking. I see if i can find the diagram of the location. I can do it myself. I found these on

·
Registered
91 Posts
1 drain and fill only remove 30-40% of the fluid. You may want to 2 or 3 more. With 100 miles or so betwwen changes. Whe you did the first drain did the magnetic drain plug have a bunch of metal? Did you change the fluid with the car level?

·
Registered
348 Posts
I believe it is in here: Third generation (TF; 2011-present)

Service Manuals section, #7 and drill down. Not super detailed but enough to figure it out. Luck and let us know what happens.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It started about 90K and now I'm at 135k and its getting worse. When for stop position and start going the first gear makes the car jerk. Everything else is fine. Some times it doesn't do it. No check engine light. Any thoughts ? I had the dealer do 35 mile test and didn't find anything.
I’ve got a 2012 hybrid that’s just started doing the exact same thing except it does it I think between 1st & 2nd or so. Once I accelerate a little it’s fine, and it doesn’t do it all the time. I had the engine codes checked and there aren’t any. The transmission is only about a year old. I think I’ll try a transmission fluid change and see it that helps.

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,184 Posts
maybe the trans temperature sensor is starting to go bad, these seem to be the kind of symptoms for that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts