Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those that have changed the trans fluid, did you do multiple changes? As in drain refill 2-3 times to get most oil replaced? What did you use? How many miles? Better or worse shifting after oil change?

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,600 Posts
Valvoline ATF, 112k miles, again at 160k miles because the ATF temp sensor went south, and as with all the cars, just one drain & fill and no change in trans function.
Now on the '08, one drain and fill at 140k miles, and the car now has 300k miles, no problems.

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
1,165 Posts
Absent of a professional transmission fluid exchange rig, if you're one of those OCD folks who feel that they must get almost every last drop of old tranny fluid out--then yeah probably should drain/refill at least 3x. Of course there are some folks who feel/believe that just one drain/refill should get "most" of the old fluid out and thus, a 80/20 mix (strictly a wild guess on my part) of new/old fluid isn't gonna do any long-term damage to the tranny as long as you do regular/scheduled fluid changes.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
On my Acura TL it was recommended I do 3x empty/ fill.
Hence why I'm asking here. My car has 80k km and gets lots of spirited driving.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,600 Posts
On my Acura TL it was recommended I do 3x empty/ fill.
Hence why I'm asking here. My car has 80k km and gets lots of spirited driving.
That was only recommended by the people on the Forum, not a Honda/Acura recommended service.

Some of those nuts would change the ATF at every engine oil/filter change. Their theory was if the ATF was changed the trans would endure, but in reality it wasn't or isn't the fluid that was the problem, it was a poorly designed transmission and was the weak link in the TL.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima SXL
613 Posts
williamhood will hopefully add to this as he split the difference with 2 changes; The above "How I did it" info may help, regardless of the # of changes.

Reactions: williamhood

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,600 Posts
Just to add, ATF fluid is dyed red and will change color over its lifetime, so even if the fluid darkens that should create no anxiety.

Had the car level, and rather then trying to fill through the small injection port as mentioned in the above thread, I added the fluid through the upper oil level plug using a funnel with a flexible spout, much easier and no need to guess how much fluid is needed, just fill until fluid runs out. Buttoned it up, out for a ride, back to the garage, car level, opened level plug and let any excess drain out.

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,293 Posts
Thinking about this, can you use a tube to siphon out lots of the old fluid? Or is the fluid too thick to siphon?

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,600 Posts
The ATF is considered "thin", similar to what I'd say is a 10w oil. I use it in the 20" chain saw for chain lubrication in cold weather, so viscosity wise it could be siphoned out, but with the angle of the full hole it would make it almost impossible. I've never removed the small "injection plug", not certain, but believe there is an obstruction within the trans that would not allow the a straight shot to the bottom.

After removing the undercover, removing the drain plug is simplistic, no problems as it's accessible, but I would use a new washer to be on the safe side. Also, after the fluid is up to temp, the full plug needs to be removed so that any excess fluid can drain out.

Not difficult, but more than a 10 minute job.

·
Premium Member
2012 Kia Optima SX-T
1,456 Posts
For those that have changed the trans fluid, did you do multiple changes? As in drain refill 2-3 times to get most oil replaced? What did you use? How many miles? Better or worse shifting after oil change?
When I did mine again, I did do the ATF drain & filll replacement a couple of times (used 6QTs per time). Drove about 20+ miles between drain & fills. I used the AMSOIL OE ATF and wish I didn't. Use the Valvoline Maxlife Multi-Vehicle ATF is what I'd recommend. Pretty inexpensive.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima SXL
613 Posts
When I did mine again, I did do the ATF drain & filll replacement a couple of times (used 6QTs per time). Drove about 20+ miles between drain & fills. I used the AMSOIL OE ATF and wish I didn't. Use the Valvoline Maxlife Multi-Vehicle ATF is what I'd recommend. Pretty inexpensive.
Please Answer the - What's Wrong With Amsoil - and then ......
Wasn't it you who recommended the Magnefine In-Line Trans Filter - and IF Yes - What's been your observations of "Particles Captured" - IF Viewing That is not a Mt Everest project?

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
1,165 Posts
Based on his "pretty inexpensive" comment combined with perhaps williamhood reading up on some anecdotal reviews regarding longevity/performance of Amsoil vs. the Valvoline he's currently using--I'm guessing that having to do a couple of 6-quart drain-and-refills using not-so-inexpensive Amsoil probably made him realize that the savings realized from using Valvoline instead could have been applied to something better?

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,600 Posts
:)Not that much of a savings for the guys with money. Only 4x as much.
Without using the abacus, looks like with the 2 changes at 6 qts ea, $210 compared to $54, but 6 qts is way too much, at least from my experience.
Valvoline ATF 4 qts $18.00
Amsoil ATF p/qt $17.50
A few years back there was a sale on the Valvoline ATF so purchased 6 gallon containers, but the way things are going they'll probably outlast me.

·
Premium Member
2012 Kia Optima SX-T
1,456 Posts
Please Answer the - What's Wrong With Amsoil - and then ......
Wasn't it you who recommended the Magnefine In-Line Trans Filter - and IF Yes - What's been your observations of "Particles Captured" - IF Viewing That is not a Mt Everest project?
So after the 2x flush with the Amsoil ATF, about a week of driving later I developed what I might call a "hole shot" effect when the transmission was hot and I had four adults in the car on moderate acceleration. Best way I can describe it is like a High Stall torque convertor from back in my muscle car days, but far more subtle. Thinking that perhaps I just needed to get the TCS computer reset, I went to my local KIA dealer and they put it on the GDS scanner and reset it and did the relearn procedure for the transmission. They will also do this if they take the transmission out of a car but not really need to do this for simple drain & fill like what I did. Anyway, they did it free of charge. It didn't really help it at all. It really is subtle and I can more or less control how much by buddies feel this when going to lunch but it IS there. It never did this when using the OEM fluid.

Don't get me wrong - I like Amsoil products in general and I used their fluid for the 2x drain and fill because I believed it was the better product and worth the extra money. When I do this again in 30K miles or so, I won't use it but will either go back to the so-called improved OEM synthetic fluid (SP4-M) or more likely the Valvoline ATF I mentioned previously.

I've had no issues with the Magnefine filter, I still highly recommend them. They even have a newer all metal case version for about the same $$. When I disassembled the older Magnefine plastic filters (later learned I could unscrew them instead of cutting the apart), I would see LOTS of metal much around the internal donut magnet, similar to what you find on the magnetic transmission drain plug. YMMV.

·
Premium Member
2012 Kia Optima SX-T
1,456 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima SXL
613 Posts
Thanks, William.
In the 2016 Thread that you first discussed Magnefine the last question to you was not answered (ie) How Often do you change these Filters - Would you just Un-hook the Filter and "Un-screw" the Housing to examine the Captured Particles and decide. Does the Bypass Prevent/affect a loaded-with-particles Filter impeding Trans Fluid Flow and causing Tranny damage, or something else? Such a can of worms for the un-intiated!

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,600 Posts
The ATF filter has a magnet, then a secondary filter and also a bypass valve and I believe the filter unscrews at one end.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts