Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2013 Kia Optima SXL, 231K (yeah I know lol)

alright so the last two nights driving home (65 mile drive) my traction light (not the off light) and the Auto Hold light have randomly come on about half way home. It was driving totally normal and auto hold wasn’t acting like it was actually on (but tbf I never use it mostly because I don’t know how lol) I got home, turned car off said “I’ll deal with it tomorrow” but when I turned the car on today no lights, so I drove the 65 miles to work and then the 65 miles back home and randomly again they came on about half way home.

I had the Engine relaxed at 68K and a new turbo put in at 169K, just one month ago I replaced the alternator and two weeks ago I had my back brakes replaced.

any advice would be super helpful because as much as the car pains me emotionally and financially I love driving it and love it in general and would like to get it fixed haha.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
418 Posts
2013 Kia Optima SXL, 231K (yeah I know lol)

alright so the last two nights driving home (65 mile drive) my traction light (not the off light) and the Auto Hold light have randomly come on about half way home. It was driving totally normal and auto hold wasn’t acting like it was actually on (but tbf I never use it mostly because I don’t know how lol) I got home, turned car off said “I’ll deal with it tomorrow” but when I turned the car on today no lights, so I drove the 65 miles to work and then the 65 miles back home and randomly again they came on about half way home.

I had the Engine relaxed at 68K and a new turbo put in at 169K, just one month ago I replaced the alternator and two weeks ago I had my back brakes replaced.

any advice would be super helpful because as much as the car pains me emotionally and financially I love driving it and love it in general and would like to get it fixed haha.
There probably should be a stored code if someone uses a good scanner. May be something they screwed up doing rear brakes or wheel speed sensor.

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,589 Posts
Worn tires have smaller diameter. Look closely at your tire tread depth on each tire. If the tires are unevenly worn, the traction control might pick up that difference in rotation and think the smaller-diameter tire is slipping compared to the larger diameter.

When was the last time you rotated the tires?

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm thinking it is a wheel speed sensor that is having issues.
Maybe when the sensor gets really hot it starts to act up, that is why it happens on your return trip and not right when you get in the car to drive it?
As @chauncey said, if you have access to a scanner that reads ABS and Stability Control codes you should find a code stored that would point you to the funky sensor.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts