Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I dont know why I never tried this before, but here is the info without delay!
Start your car: THEN PRESS AND HOLD TRACTION CONTROL BUTTON
FOR 6 TO 7 SECONDS UNTIL "STABILITY CONTROL DISABLED comes on above "trac ctrl disabled".
Thats it. No fuses, no fuss, no muss.
My car has NEVER pulled so hard and smoothly. The small amount of wheel spin allowed for smooth shifts that kept my Lap 3 equipped car shooting down the road in its power band. Excellent. I never thought I could get my son in law because his trac and stab ctrl CAN be disabled. Now SO CAN MINE; and so can all of yours that were following the thread. Please be careful. ABS still works (I tested it). This will also allow less wear on my brakes should I disable the system any time I wish. Just don't use it in the rain and save it for the track, wherever your track may be!!
I have to say, after 10 months and $3500 in parts, paint, Alpine head unit, amps and all top shelf speakers, 1 piece strut tower brace, LAP 3, HKS Racing plugs, CATCH CAN, Magnaflow cat back's; and the most gigantic Rockford Fosgate 2x12's that would fit in my trunk. I am finally completely happy with my build.:cool:(y)
(Well I am going to reconnect the Infinity 8" sub tomorrow)...its always something for car guys!!

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,180 Posts
Will this stay off, or reset when you turn off and turn on the car, and re-enable?

Might still be a reason to pull the fuse if so.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Will this stay off, or reset when you turn off and turn on the car, and re-enable?

Might still be a reason to pull the fuse if so.
You have to disable it every time.
I dont like fooling around with fuses. Also, don't use it in the rain, especially with a LAP 3 Chip.
It's like this. You have to choose every time whether its a good idea to use it. I kind of like that. You have to make a choice to turn off your electronic safety devices. Make sure it is a good and safe one. Just sayin'.😁

Reactions: Joemsj51

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,375 Posts
It's in the owners manual:
ESC OFF state•
To cancel ESC operation, press the ESC OFF button (ESC OFF indicator light illuminates).• If the ignition switch is turned to LOCK position when ESC is off,
ESC remains off. Upon restarting the engine, the ESC will automatically turn on again

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
1,146 Posts
Believe it or not I already knew about that method, if only because I used that same method on my son's BMW long ago--for testing purposes, of course--LOL. Whether you believe me or not, it doesn't matter because to add to what Turbonut stated--furthermore, in the Kia Optima owners manual (at least it is described in my 2018 manual) it mentions two "ESC Off" states and how to cancel each state; the first ESC Off state disables traction control only and can be disabled exactly how Turbonut described it; the second ESC Off state disables both traction and stability control and can be disabled by pressing the ESC off button for more than 3 seconds.

Bottom line--I would have ended this post by saying RTFM but I don't know what model year cskalski's car is, and thus I wouldn't know if the above was included in his model year's owners manual.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's in the owners manual:
ESC OFF state•
To cancel ESC operation, press the ESC OFF button (ESC OFF indicator light illuminates).• If the ignition switch is turned to LOCK position when ESC is off,
ESC remains off. Upon restarting the engine, the ESC will automatically turn on again
Let me ask you. Where is the esc button in your car? Do you mean traction control button? Because my manual doesn't mention holding the button for 7 seconds to disable BOTH T/C AND ESC. Maybe my 2015 is a little different than your 2011. All I care about is sharing the information.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
1,016 Posts
My 2015 sxt has the traction button next to the door under the air vent just above my left knee. If you hold it down long enough it'll pop a message on the screen in between the speedometer and rpm gauges.

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
1,146 Posts
The manual describes the button as the "ESC OFF" button even though technically/in reality the button itself has no such wording on it but rather instead it has a symbol of a car with two squiggly lines on it and "OFF" labeled right below the two squiggly lines. It is kinda weird/odd that the manual describes the button as the ESC button (presumably for Electronic Stability Control) yet if you press it (but not keep it pressed for 3+ seconds) it disables traction control; only after you press the button for 3+ seconds does it then disable Stability Control in addition to disabling traction control as well.

FWIW the Canadian (i.e., non-USA) 2015 Optima owners manual does describe how to turn off both traction and stability control--basically it's done the same exact way, press the button for 3+ seconds.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Its actually 7 seconds...and I can't imagine Kia changing the system or the manual for this. I followed my son in law with his Alfa Romeo Giulia AWD 2.0T chipped to 310 WHP. Mine is also chipped to maybe 280 WHP.
With the traction and stability control off I had MORE control and faster decreasing radius off ramp speeds. (Disused highway).
So I keep mine off in the dry, on in the wet or snow

Reactions: Joemsj51

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
1,146 Posts
It may very well be 7 seconds on yours but FWIW on my 2018 it actually does take only 3 seconds in order to disable both traction and stability control so at least as far as the 2018 owner's manual is concerned the instructions are indeed correct/accurate.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Soul X-Line 2.0 MPI
102 Posts
Mine is somewhere right between three and seven seconds..... guessing it's five seconds.

Thanks to everyone who contributed imput here.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you for that information on how many seconds it takes to disable both trac and stab ctrl.

I have a 2015 SX-Turbo. On my model it takes 6 to 7 seconds to turn both traction and stability control off.
What I honestly do is wait for:
Traction Control Disabled! and press until "stability control disabled!"
also appears on the screen. I am not counting seconds, but it is nice to know how the 4th Gen works.

I bought the 2015 because it was the last year that the theta2 274hp/269 lb ft
engine was available, and unlike my 2012 that I bought new, I bought my turbo for $10,990. So if the engine dies it is $999 at my local junkyard, and with even install it for another $799. Add a refurbished turbo? N/P $250 with all new seals. That is why I stayed with Kia. Affordable power, if it fails, I can take it to a local junkyard and they have tons of good engines.

Attachments

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
1,146 Posts
LOL hey it's all good--in the end we all now know that both traction control and stability control can be disabled.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts