Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A module I installed which turns the TCS auto off each time I start the vehicle.

Nifty little thing!
Has an Aux output as well. So when you actually HIT the TCS button quickly, it will turn something else on/off. For me, Water/Methanol injection. Or, you could wire it up to say DRL's or something of that nature.

·
04/2014 ROTM
2011 SX
3,607 Posts
KP Technologies

The traction control module is used to add a memory feature to the (+) traction control switch in your vehicle. The unit automatically stores the ON/OFF state of the switch when the vehicle is shut off and restores the setting when the ignition is turned on. The SM-35P also allows the control of an external switching relay through the OEM traction control switch!
Key Features:

• Designed to work with (+) switching systems found in some BMW, Hyundai, and Kia vehicles (and possibly others).

• (-) 200mA AUX output is toggled on/off with two quick presses of the button (requires (1) A-SPDT to drive high current loads)

• AUX output can be used to disable traction control computers, yaw sensors, wheel sensors, etc to completely disable traction control systems

• AUX output can be used as a general purpose on/off switch that is controlled through an OEM button. Because AUX output requires two quick pushes it will not change the state of the traction control system!

• Fully compatible with any (+) push button switch in the vehicle. Module is NOT limited to the Traction Control System.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't post up the link just yet, mostly because this product, and the unit I own was modified.

With the Optima, the control module needs to have more than a single quick pulse signal. It needs a slight "Delay" as if you are holding the TCS button for 30secs or so. At first, the retail module they sold didn't work for Evil Mechanic. But the second unit with memory did work.

The second unit is the one I have. Although the Sonata doesn't require this "30sec pulse" to disable TCS. Just a quick push of the factory button without the module in place, will toggle the TCS on/off.

There is a handwritten model# on the casing, I believe they just "loaded" different programing into the same module. So, if anyone is interested, I was going to call the guys at KP and just double check which one is best to order to insure the listing is appropriate for both the Optima and Sonata TCS button.

---------- Post added at 11:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:26 AM ----------

Loving the ability to not worry about my TCS. But I have to admit, it's taken a few days of double checking to make sure the light was off after starting the car before I just started to trust if was disabled for me lol

·
Registered
2011 kia optima
879 Posts
Like to see a write up. I mean it's not hard just annoying after a while. And for when I get meth it would be nice.

·
Registered
761 Posts
I didn't post up the link just yet, mostly because this product, and the unit I own was modified.

With the Optima, the control module needs to have more than a single quick pulse signal. It needs a slight "Delay" as if you are holding the TCS button for 30secs or so. At first, the retail module they sold didn't work for Evil Mechanic. But the second unit with memory did work.

The second unit is the one I have. Although the Sonata doesn't require this "30sec pulse" to disable TCS. Just a quick push of the factory button without the module in place, will toggle the TCS on/off.

There is a handwritten model# on the casing, I believe they just "loaded" different programing into the same module. So, if anyone is interested, I was going to call the guys at KP and just double check which one is best to order to insure the listing is appropriate for both the Optima and Sonata TCS button.

---------- Post added at 11:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:26 AM ----------

Loving the ability to not worry about my TCS. But I have to admit, it's taken a few days of double checking to make sure the light was off after starting the car before I just started to trust if was disabled for me lol

I would definitely like to find out for sure which model I would need to order for my Optima.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Ok, I'll pull the module out tomorrow and call them when I finish up my work, at work lol.

I'll post back and let you guys know for certain.

I think it's really nice not to worry! They also have "Deluxe Mirror tilt" and some auto up/down modules for the passenger windows. I'm thinking about this one as well. Just because it's been soo cool outside, I've had my windows down/cracked more than usual. It would be nice to just hit it once and not have to hold them.

Everytime I start my car, I first used to turn off TCS. Second, crack the sunroof upwards, then turn the AC on. Then put my Razr into it's rack on the dash, plug charger in. Once the app see's it's docked and connected to "my Sonata" Bluetooth, it auto starts my Torque Pro app and brings my AFR/BOOST/TIming screen up.

I'm so OCD, it's like a process I do. So any corners I can cut are welcomed lol

·
Registered
167 Posts
Would this possibly work for a multi-function button? In my 2014, it would be nice to switch to sport mode automatically, which is double press on the button every time i get in.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Would this possibly work for a multi-function button? In my 2014, it would be nice to switch to sport mode automatically, which is double press on the button every time i get in.
It probably won't work for you to eliminate the double tap sequence to automatically put the vehicle in sport mode. Only because this particular module has a memory setup to recall the last time the vehicle was on, was the Button on or off. And how long the button needed to be depressed to change the setting.

But I can almost guarantee if they DO NOT already have another module that CAN recall a double pulse signal, that one could easily be made to handle that switching.

It seems the modules exteriors stay the same. But they can re-program the box for many things. Sometimes, you don't even have to buy a new module, but just pay a re-programing fee.

If you have the details on how the button operates, is it positive or negative switched, wiring schematics would be helpful and give their tech hotline a ring.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
MD, do you know if there's anyway to defeat the traction control completely?
I do not, but would love it if someone would look into this further.

I do see a description for the Nissan platforms on their website that suggests using the TCS module's Auxiliary output to turn off things like wheel speed sensors, yaw sensors and things of that nature. But I have not looked into the PCM's response to trying to disable anything in addition that has to do with the rest of the system.

It may be possible that with the help of custom tuning, you may be able to further disable the system. But I'll leave that bad boy up to someone else lol

·
Registered
2011 kia optima
879 Posts
This item would be nice if we could figure out brake boost control. Say you turn off traction controll with this you can now be able to brake boost. Like a dual set up. Just dreaming.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
To me, the transmission engages much stiffer. The car IS InDEED faster down the 1/4 mile strip with TCS off.

I think just like every other car I've driven/owned, it just gives the driver all the power it's supposed to have instead of the power the computer feels is safe for the conditions.

Once you get tuned, and get to the point where you are running full bolt-ons - You want your car to be more aggressive through the shifts, then you don't want TC engaged at all.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here is the picture of my module with the handwritten item# on it. KPTech doesn't list a phone# on their website, so I sent them an email. If anyone can confirm with them which module is the correct one, that matches with the module I have installed in my vehicle (from Evil Mechanic's testing in his Optima). Please post back for the rest of the members here.

·
Registered
275 Posts
We've actually been speaking to them as our Honda (I know evil word here :p) customers were asking for them. I'll see what we can find out on this.

---------- Post added at 12:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:03 PM ----------

Based on the part # on the module, I believe you are running the 2nd one down SM-35P
KP Technologies

·
Registered
275 Posts
I don't always turn mine off... did a little free driving yesterday up some mountains. Wow. I have pretty sticky fk453's on lightweight wheels too (and coils + bracing).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts