Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, this has happened several times over the last few car trips I've been on... I make sure tire pressure is adequate (36 Psi), and hit the road. About 4-5 hours after starting out, the TPMS light comes on. Haven't hit anything, tire pressure hasn't dropped. Give it 20 minutes, light starts blinking, and then shuts off. Pull over for fuel an hour later, nothing on restart. 5 or so hours after hitting the road again, light comes back on...

What is causing this?

·
Registered
2018 Optima EX, 2019 Stinger GT2 AWD
97 Posts
What is the actual tire pressure when the light comes on? If you fill up the tire to 36 Psi cold, then after a while of driving, the pressure will be higher due to heat buildup, could be several Psi higher. Hotter tire, higher pressure.
I don't know if the system warns for high pressure, or just low.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What is the actual tire pressure when the light comes on? If you fill up the tire to 36 Psi cold, then after a while of driving, the pressure will be higher due to heat buildup, could be several Psi higher. Hotter tire, higher pressure.
I don't know if the system warns for high pressure, or just low.
Yes, that pressure is at cold. I think you may be onto something when you mentioned high pressure... I've never considered the system reacting to overpressure, but when I checked my previous set of tires after a similar incident, the pressure read 45... So that's a lead.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.