Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2016 SXL
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a 2016 SXL that is Titanium Silver. I have a few scratches that I'd like to touch up if possible. One is starting to develop a touch of rust, so I don't want it to get worse or the others to start.

I searched the Kia website and came up with this part number for a Titanium Silver paint pen: UA006-TU5014IMA

Then, I also found what appears to be the same part number on Amazon (see here). But if this is indeed the same OEM pen, it gets some pretty bad reviews. So I'm a bit nervous about picking it up.

- Is that the ONLY Kia touch up paint option that would be guaranteed to match??

- Is it good enough quality if properly applied (I may have a body shop do it while detailing the car)?

- Any other better choices?

THANKS!

·
Registered
2016 SXL
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, thanks for the response. I checked out DrColorchip. It looks like you have to buy a complete kit of some sort from them, unless I'm missing something. I'm going to have a body shop do the touch-up for me as part of a detailing package, so don't really need all the accessories.

- Is just the paint aspect of DrColorchip better than the OEM Kia paint pen (which is 4-5x cheaper)?

- Does it truly match the paint, especially with all the metallic in the Titanium Silver, as well as OEM would?

- Is there no other Kia options, or does anyone have experience with the Kia paint pens?

Thanks!

·
Registered
45 Posts
I bought the Snow White Pearl touch-up paint pen (KIA OEM) for some dings I wanted to cover up before I applied a ceramic coating. If you don't know, SWP has that metallic glitter thing going on. It said to shake it for 30 seconds vigorously, which I did. It applies very thinly, and a blob or two on the chipped surface didn't seem to cover the area well with only one coating.

That being said, I think the purpose of the touch-up paint is really to prevent the start or spreading of rust. I've gone back a few times and done extra coats, but I think it has something to do with the color my my paint and the fact that the chips I'm filling in are really dark that makes a single application kind of hard to really match the paint.

I'm no expert but I think white might be the toughest color for this application. I think you'll have much better luck with Titanium Silver. The pen is an inexpensive way to lay down some protection, but I don't think it's meant to perfectly mask defects. If the chip is small, the paint tends to be raised due to surface tension. If the chip is large, you'll definitely need multiple coats.

I should mention the opposite end of the paint pen also has a clear coat applicator. I haven't messed with that but I believe it's for filling scratches that are deep enough that your nail catches it if you scratch it across.

WOW that is such a long post about touch-up paint LOL

·
Registered
2016 SXL
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the response. The comments about the OEM paint pen seem to state that it doesn't cover very well at all. You seem to confirm this.

- Does anyone have experience with the Dr. Colorchip paint, or any other options, having better coverage? Or will they all need multiple coats to get a decent cover?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts