Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive read thru many threads, cant find much related to my issue. ive adjusted the wastegate problem to 4volts. mine was 4.5, that fixed the low end power issue. but im noticing top end power loss. for the non car guys... when i go to get on highway and stab the throttle, doesnt push my head back at all. the other day i barely beat a stock kia forte with 4 adults in it! the only mods i have are injen intake and factory mufflers replaced with trush turbos. And the factory bov venting to atmoshpere which is just noise. please help

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,375 Posts
I'd first check to see how much boost is being produced. Could be a leak in the intake system, clamp, intercooler, etc. After Kia replaced the engine in our 2.0T did some checking and the clamp on the intake at the turbo was never tightened.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Copy that. I don't have a boost gauge to check how much. I'm a gear head thru and thru but this is my 1st turbo car. But check all clamps and hoses, gotcha on that.

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,180 Posts
Oh, it's pretty amazing, you can use this Android app called Torque (and even use their plug-in specific to the Optima) to display all kinds of amazing detailed info on your car. For example, you can show digital forms of a boost gauge, acceleration in Gs, speed, etc. etc.

Torque needs to receive that info into your phone. The phone uses bluetooth to pair with a little device that you plug into the OBDII port under your dash.

Torque lets you also see the wastegate voltage adjustment, so you can confirm that your adjustment was correct. Maybe you went too low? Well use Torque and view the wastegate voltage info to see.

·
Registered
2018 KIA Optima
170 Posts
That's a good one to buy. I have a cheap as heck one (25$ on Amazon. Bafx or something like that) that with the torque app as stated and it will allow you to get real time data while your driving.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh, it's pretty amazing, you can use this Android app called Torque (and even use their plug-in specific to the Optima) to display all kinds of amazing detailed info on your car. For example, you can show digital forms of a boost gauge, acceleration in Gs, speed, etc. etc.

Torque needs to receive that info into your phone. The phone uses bluetooth to pair with a little device that you plug into the OBDII port under your dash.

Torque lets you also see the wastegate voltage adjustment, so you can confirm that your adjustment was correct. Maybe you went too low? Well use Torque and view the wastegate voltage info to see.
That's awesome. So it's called torque? I find it in Google play store?

·
Registered
2,180 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'd first check to see how much boost is being produced. Could be a leak in the intake system, clamp, intercooler, etc. After Kia replaced the engine in our 2.0T did some checking and the clamp on the intake at the turbo was never tightened.
i think my boost IS leaking somehow. under *** i can feel the boost "let go" some at high rpm. Just as its about to shift.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Where's the wastegate voltage adjustment reader on torque? I got the pro version with the Kia plug in. And an obd2 bluetooth reader

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Add a sensor, look for EWGA volts.

I can't find it now in my phone, but I think that's because I'm using Torque while not connected to my OBDII reader.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Add a sensor, look for EWGA volts.

I can't find it now in my phone, but I think that's because I'm using Torque while not connected to my OBDII reader.
I found it, thank you. Now to find out what's up with Naomi. That's what I named her lol.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
OK I am disappointed in myself. I've been lazy and haven't checked my wastegate voltage in a while. But just now I went into Torque, you need to import the plugin advanced sensor info, and then you can add the wastegate voltage.

**** if I'm not over 4.6V!!!!!!!!!

Please note: I had Kia perform the turbo oil line replacement procedure. I don't know if that affected my waste gate settings or voltage, but it's been like uhhhhhhh maybe over 5 years since I last checked my wastegate voltage so it might just be normal variation.

So I'm planning to adjust my wastegate voltage soon.

·
Registered
619 Posts
ive read thru many threads, cant find much related to my issue. ive adjusted the wastegate problem to 4volts. mine was 4.5, that fixed the low end power issue. but im noticing top end power loss. for the non car guys... when i go to get on highway and stab the throttle, doesnt push my head back at all. the other day i barely beat a stock kia forte with 4 adults in it! the only mods i have are injen intake and factory mufflers replaced with trush turbos. And the factory bov venting to atmoshpere which is just noise. please help
I guarantee you the injen intake is the problem. Same thing happened to me. 1st and 2nd was blistering fast, and just as fast to the redline. I put a Magnaflow cat back in it and lastly an hps intake with the heat shield. I did not want a loud intake. But my mechanic was insistent that both systems would work together. Right? WRONG!
I ended up losing to my own non turbo driven by my buddy. I was furious. Took out the intake and pulled out the plugs
They were trashed. Replaced plugs and stock intake and all my power came back. Now I have lap3 system. And the HKS M45XL plugs and the catch can (baffled dual inlet).
She flies. Buy the chip ($579) and some 2way velcro tape. Get it hooked up and make sure to change the code to 755 for midgrade. No more Forte's will ever pass you again
You will have to buy at least the HKS M45XL plugs ($120 qty 4) if you want it to idle right and produce the power as advertised.
Good [email protected]

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Sorry for multiple posts. Here is how to adjust your voltage. As you see, rotating the adjustable end of the rod a full turn will change the voltage by about 0.3 to 0.4 volts. So that's what I'm going to do, just rotate a full turn clockwise to try to bring my voltage down from 4.64 V to 4.20 V.

The other discussion mentioned a nice tip of being careful not to drop the clip or anything down into the engine, maybe even tie a string to the clip. I'm planning to put a magnet catcher under the area...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Guess it's that time of the month.
Lol yes it is. Can a wastegate be sticky or just bad? Here's what happened... I had 12psi boost and 4.1 wastegate volts at idle then driving around a lil bit, boost wasn't picking up much. Then under a brief w.o.t. I only got 16psi boost but my wastegate dropped to 3.6! Shut it off and went in to pick up my food. Started back up and volts were at 3.9 then gradually went to 4.1

1 - 20 of 30 Posts