Kia Optima Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
LAP3 ECU tune is going to be the best bang for your buck.

Intake doesn't make a single hp, and the stock intake has been proven to be fine up to 350WHP(over 400BHP+)

You shouldn't be running HFC/Catless exhaust until you have proper ECU tune to prevent overboosting. A lot of people have blown spark plugs and damaged engines from running HFC/Catless exhaust without ECU tuning. The Stock tune is mapped to operate with backpressure, and if you remove them without ECU logic changed, you will run into overboost, limp mode, misfire, and possibly damaging spark plugs and your motor. Lots have gone through this, especially in winter.

FMIC is a great upgrade for summer, but it's only to recover lost hp from heatsoak.

You can throw in thousands of dollars on bolt-on parts, but it will only make 10whp at most.
Stock makes 210-220whp.
Stock with 93 occtane makes 220-230whp.
Stock with full bolt-ons(intake, downpipe, midpipe, catback, fmic, you name it) can make up to 240whp.
Stock + LAP3 ECU tune stage 1 will get you to 270WHP
Stock + LAP3 ECU tune stage 1.5 will get you to 280WHP
LAP3 Stage 1.5 ECU tune and HFC/Catless will get you up to 290WHP
LAP3 Stage 2 ECU tune which requires HFC/Catless will get you 300-315WHP
LAp3 Stage 2.5 ECU tune will get you up to 325WHP.
There's a lot you can do to make power, but without ECU tuning, you won't see much of gain.
This... ^^^ Back when I did my research, I noted all people who complained of blown plugs and/or engine damage also stated to have modified exhaust systems and "possibly" narrowed down to the down pipe. I ended up leaving the exhaust alone and getting the Lap3 Uncle Chip which is confusing to me... My chip has adjustment settings for 89, 91, and 93 octane. So what is this Stage 1, 1.5, 2, and 2.5 that I keep seeing??? Are there different Chips???

·
Registered
2015 KIA Optima
36 Posts
I just bought the Lap 3 ecu tune. My understanding for the full lap 3 ecu flashing. Stage one is for 91 octane, stage 1.5 is for 93 octane.
While stage 2 is for there E30 tune that requires a e85 mix with 91 octane, HFC/or delete, and possibly down pipe.
2.5 is for meth injection tune. Not sure on the octane required..
3 is for full there manifold/waste gate upgrade etc.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I just bought the Lap 3 ecu tune. My understanding for the full lap 3 ecu flashing. Stage one is for 91 octane, stage 1.5 is for 93 octane.
While stage 2 is for there E30 tune that requires a e85 mix with 91 octane, HFC/or delete, and possibly down pipe.
2.5 is for meth injection tune. Not sure on the octane required..
3 is for full there manifold/waste gate upgrade etc.
Okay, got it! 2 different tunes...

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
2017 Tesla Model X
28,542 Posts
This... ^^^ Back when I did my research, I noted all people who complained of blown plugs and/or engine damage also stated to have modified exhaust systems and "possibly" narrowed down to the down pipe. I ended up leaving the exhaust alone and getting the Lap3 Uncle Chip which is confusing to me... My chip has adjustment settings for 89, 91, and 93 octane. So what is this Stage 1, 1.5, 2, and 2.5 that I keep seeing??? Are there different Chips???
LAP3 Uncle Chip Performance Tune = LAP3 Piggyback Setup (No Flashing of the ECU)

LAP3 Uncle Boost Performance Tune = LAP3 ECU Tune (No Piggyback)

21 - 27 of 27 Posts