Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima SXL
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the need for new tires here soon, I live on the border of North Dakota and Minnesota. I'm sure alot of you are familiar with the weather.

I was looking for a pair of all season, summer tires don't serve much of a purpose here.

I have a 2013 Kia optima sxl with the 18x 7.5 wheel

I wanted to go wider to 245/45/18 instead of the 215

I was looking at a few options

1. Toyo Extensa HP II
2. Yokohama Advan sport - on sale from 180 to 125
3. Cooper zeon RS3-G1
4.sumitomo HTR P02 (w)

I would like a tire that has a decent tread life, around 125 per tire, all season, good dry and wet traction, decent in snow

Which would you recommend or have any others you feel is better?

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,386 Posts
First, the OEM tires on the '13 SXL 225/45-18, so a 235 is a good choice.
Let me say this, tires are really subjective and differ from person to person as one tire that might be adored by one, is disliked by another. Having said that, let me state my opinion, and just that, an opinion.
Let's go with 2 first. I wouldn't own an aftermarket Yokohama tire. When I say aftermarket, they, as well as other brands, are designed differently than that of an OEM Yokohama tire. The factory tires are mandated not to have flat-spotting, but not aftermarket. I had Yokohama Advans on the wifes TL 245/45-17 and in the cold weather, flat-spotting took maybe one to three miles before the tires would clear up, not unusual for high performance tires. Let the car, in the cold, sit for an hour or so outside, e.g. mall, restaurant etc and the flat-spotting started again. This was a second set of Yokos with that problem, W4s was the first and after contacting Yoko Tech, they sent me the second set, different model, no difference, and Yokohama tech stated it is what it is.

Now 3-Cooper, once again, wouldn't touch, now made in India. Daughter put them on her Maxima, distinct pull, switched front tires, car pulled opposite direction. Replaced "bad" tire, but the car still pulled so bad, if you let go of the steering wheel, the car went into the left lane. Switch front tires and car went right. Pulled the entire set and purchased another brand.

1-Only had Toyo's on the back of one of my cars, no problem, but they were summer tires.

4-Summitomo HTR-Been years ago so really can't comment on the "new" tires, but the tires, once again on the Acura, hard ride along with hydroplaning, but that was yeas ago, but still have the tires in the back garage mounted on the OEM wheels.

Not familiar with these tires, but might be a good choice in your area as they arenot only
All Season, Y rated, but are also mountain snowflake branded:
235/45-18 Vredestein Quatrac 5

There are other snowflake A/S tires, but more costly, so take a look at the Tire Rack site for more particulars.

Hope this answers some questions, but once again, take your pick.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima SXL
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First, the OEM tires on the '13 SXL 225/45-18, so a 235 is a good choice.
Let me say this, tires are really subjective and differ from person to person as one tire that might be adored by one, is disliked by another. Having said that, let me state my opinion, and just that, an opinion.
Let's go with 2 first. I wouldn't own an aftermarket Yokohama tire. When I say aftermarket, they, as well as other brands, are designed differently than that of an OEM Yokohama tire. The factory tires are mandated not to have flat-spotting, but not aftermarket. I had Yokohama Advans on the wifes TL 245/45-17 and in the cold weather, flat-spotting took maybe one to three miles before the tires would clear up, not unusual for high performance tires. Let the car, in the cold, sit for an hour or so outside, e.g. mall, restaurant etc and the flat-spotting started again. This was a second set of Yokos with that problem, W4s was the first and after contacting Yoko Tech, they sent me the second set, different model, no difference, and Yokohama tech stated it is what it is.

Now 3-Cooper, once again, wouldn't touch, now made in India. Daughter put them on her Maxima, distinct pull, switched front tires, car pulled opposite direction. Replaced "bad" tire, but the car still pulled so bad, if you let go of the steering wheel, the car went into the left lane. Switch front tires and car went right. Pulled the entire set and purchased another brand.

1-Only had Toyo's on the back of one of my cars, no problem, but they were summer tires.

4-Summitomo HTR-Been years ago so really can't comment on the "new" tires, but the tires, once again on the Acura, hard ride along with hydroplaning, but that was yeas ago, but still have the tires in the back garage mounted on the OEM wheels.

Not familiar with these tires, but might be a good choice in your area as they arenot only
All Season, Y rated, but are also mountain snowflake branded:
235/45-18 Vredestein Quatrac 5

There are other snowflake A/S tires, but more costly, so take a look at the Tire Rack site for more particulars.

Hope this answers some questions, but once again, take your pick.
Whats your opinion on 235 instead of 245?

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,386 Posts
Always liked the larger tires, but going from 225 to 245 the diameter is @ 3/4" higher, no big deal, and the speedometer @ 1.5 mph slow, however that's if the speedometer read a perfect 60 with the OEM tires. I went from 215 to 225 and the speedometer is dead on at 60.
The only negative to the 245 is the load weight, as some are 100 (XL), and that could make the car ride much harder than it does now.

I'll give you something else to check. Look at the various tires over at the TireRack site and you'll find 235 tires that are wider than some 245.
As you'll want a wide looking tire, make certain to check the actual tread width before pulling the trigger. Sometimes a compromise might be needed in that the widest tread-width tire isn't the one wanted, but at least make certain it's larger than a smaller size.

Some can't believe the difference in actual tread width within a specific size, but make certain you check.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima
368 Posts
Hey Turbonut, were you on the Acurazine forums when you had your TL? I had an 06' manual that I had put the same Yoko W4's in 245 on mine. Car felt noticeably slower compared to the summer tires they replaced, but they were pretty wide and gave the car a nice stance.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima SXL
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Always liked the larger tires, but going from 225 to 245 the diameter is @ 3/4" higher, no big deal, and the speedometer @ 1.5 mph slow, however that's if the speedometer read a perfect 60 with the OEM tires. I went from 215 to 225 and the speedometer is dead on at 60.
The only negative to the 245 is the load weight, as some are 100 (XL), and that could make the car ride much harder than it does now.

I'll give you something else to check. Look at the various tires over at the TireRack site and you'll find 235 tires that are wider than some 245.
As you'll want a wide looking tire, make certain to check the actual tread width before pulling the trigger. Sometimes a compromise might be needed in that the widest tread-width tire isn't the one wanted, but at least make certain it's larger than a smaller size.

Some can't believe the difference in actual tread width within a specific size, but make certain you check.
Okay thank you! I decided to go with 235/45/18, a place near me gave me a decent price on some falkens

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,386 Posts
Hey Turbonut, were you on the Acurazine forums when you had your TL? I had an 06' manual that I had put the same Yoko W4's in 245 on mine. Car felt noticeably slower compared to the summer tires they replaced, but they were pretty wide and gave the car a nice stance.
That's me and I, or the wife still has the TL, just turned 110,000 miles. Those W4s were probably on the heavy side because of the width, think they had 9.1" wide tread, quite wide for a 245.
Welcome to the wonderful world of the Kia Optima.
I'll say one thing about the '11 2.0T, fuel mileage stinks, but it's a blast to drive.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts