Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently bought new 18" rims for my 2012 Kia optima because my rims were constantly getting cracked, bent, and misaligned due to all of the potholes in my area.

Can someone recommend me the best size tire to help minimize my pothole headache? If it helps the area I live in is always +70 degrees and currently have 225/45 R18 on my rims.

Thanks I REALLY appreciate the help.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
2,363 Posts
Other than avoiding potholes, not much you can do as far as tire size to correct the problem. Might want to keep an eye on the air pressure, not to high nor too low, and go with what is used on the newer Optima 18", 235/45-18, but at only .3" larger in diameter, .15" more meat wheel to road, don't belief it will help much. Now if one were to go to a smaller diameter wheel, then the aspect ration could go higher. Some wheels are incredibly soft, and I use the term soft as some manufacturers have more problems with bent wheels than others. I know that on our Acura, the wheels are like lead and bend/crack easily, but must say the 17" wheels on the Optima are pretty sturdy, at least from my experience. I actually blew a tire out when striking a crater as the tire folded up and the wheel edge cut through the carcass, but wheel was fine.

·
Registered
2011 KIA Optima
17 Posts
My set up with the 11' SX on 18" stock rim was a set of all season Yokohama 225/50-R18. When I hit a pothole at roughly 77mph, one of the front tires got damaged. So yeah, you either need to go down a bit further to 17" rim, or try to avoid potholes.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts