Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Kia Optima
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Optima calls for 34 psi all around. For me, that made my SXL a little jittery on neighborhood roads. Since I'm accustomed to running 32 psi in my cars' tires, I adjusted my Optima's pressures down to 32.

Now, you might not think 2 psi would make much of a difference, but it does ... my car now smooshes over little bumps and pavement breaks like the tires were made of jello. I suspect the 34 psi standard was set for fuel efficiency reasons, but I'm willing to give up a tiny bit of that for a relaxed ride.

Try it. ;)

·
Registered
2016 KIA OPTIMA
151 Posts
2016 optima here: I also just recently dropped my pressure too. Tried to get it as close to 34psi as possible but couldn't because I filled them up when the tires were warm. Once I start the car after a night I have 32 to 33 just sitting cold. Not sure if I should increase the pressure because I don't want the tires to wear unevenly. When I last had my check up at the dealer they had my tires running at 44!! Way way too high. I felt every little thing in the road. Not sure why they set it up that high.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima
295 Posts
When I picked my 2016 up at the dealer, all four were at 41 psi cold. I believe they over-inflate from factory.

·
Registered
2015 Optima SXL
86 Posts
I went the other way, well kinda, I went down to 17's from the 18's and also increased the sidewall height. I don't drive the Optima much, it's my wife's DD, and she asked if there was anything I could do to smooth out her ride. I went from the stock 225/45-18's to 225/55-17's mated to Helo HE845's. Here's the differences:

Here's a picture of them mounted.
New Wheels.jpg

·
Registered
2014 KIA Optima
1,663 Posts
I went the other way, well kinda, I went down to 17's from the 18's and also increased the sidewall height. I don't drive the Optima much, it's my wife's DD, and she asked if there was anything I could do to smooth out her ride. I went from the stock 225/45-18's to 225/55-17's mated to Helo HE845's. Here's the differences:

Here's a picture of them mounted.
View attachment 205145
Cool.

Kind of like a modern muscle car look.

What does this have to do with air pressure?

Just kidding, **** I get off topic all the time.:D

---------- Post added at 11:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:46 AM ----------

Those look terrible... ^

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Come on, be nice.

It may better in person.:D

·
Registered
2017 Kia Optima
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I went the other way, well kinda, I went down to 17's from the 18's and also increased the sidewall height. I don't drive the Optima much, it's my wife's DD, and she asked if there was anything I could do to smooth out her ride.
Seriously? If you had adjusted her stock tires to 32 psi, I would be surprised if she thought the ride wasn't smooth. I wonder if they were over-inflated from the dealer?

---------- Post added at 12:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:24 PM ----------

I found the same thing - they were all at 39 when I bought it.
Yeah, from the factory they pretty much all come at 40-45 psi. Part of it is to seat the tire bead onto the new wheels, and part of it is that transporters like higher tire pressures so the cars don't wobble around on the trucks so much.

·
Registered
2015 Optima SXL
86 Posts
Seriously? If you had adjusted her stock tires to 32 psi, I would be surprised if she thought the ride wasn't smooth. I wonder if they were over-inflated from the dealer?
I tried various pressure levels over a year, and finally decided to buy the ugliest frickin 17" wheels that I could find :rofl:

---------- Post added at 05:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:46 PM ----------

Those look terrible... ^
Why would you say that, like your opinion matters somehow? It doesn't and as long as my wife likes them, which she does, THAT'S the only thing that matters.

"chadandhiskia"... now that's an original name:lmao: and before you ask, I am a pilot :D

·
Registered
2017 Kia Optima
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I tried various pressure levels over a year, and finally decided to buy the ugliest frickin 17" wheels that I could find :rofl:

LOL. Okay, I just find mine to be really smooth riding, but I know that's subjective.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The Optima calls for 34 psi all around. For me, that made my SXL a little jittery on neighborhood roads. Since I'm accustomed to running 32 psi in my cars' tires, I adjusted my Optima's pressures down to 32.

Now, you might not think 2 psi would make much of a difference, but it does ... my car now smooshes over little bumps and pavement breaks like the tires were made of jello. I suspect the 34 psi standard was set for fuel efficiency reasons, but I'm willing to give up a tiny bit of that for a relaxed ride.

Try it. ;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I’m confused. I always fill the tire pressure to what is recommended on the tire itself. When I got my new car the pressure was set at 32. This matches the plaque on the door. If you look on the tire itself, the recommended tire pressure is 44.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
1,858 Posts
I’m confused. I always fill the tire pressure to what is recommended on the tire itself. When I got my new car the pressure was set at 32. This matches the plaque on the door. If you look on the tire itself, the recommended tire pressure is 44.
This is certainly a classic, you're not alone, and at that psi it will afford excellent rolling resistance, good fuel mileage, a ride like a truck, and hydroplaning like on a surfboard.
Maximum Inflation Pressure
A tire's maximum inflation pressure is the highest "cold" inflation pressure that the tire is designed to contain. However, the tire's maximum inflation pressure should only be used when called for on the vehicle's tire placard or in the vehicle's owners manual.

Know old thread, but just thought I'd add that maybe the '11 2.0T is unique in that it rides like a truck regardless of the psi, even with the "T" rated tires installed, it's far from what I consider a comfortable ride. Acutually the hardest riding vehicle I've ever owned.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima 1.6T LX
11 Posts
Wheel diameter is important if you want to run lower tire pressures. A taller sidewall allows more cushion area if you do hit a curb or rock in the road at the lower tire pressure. The fastest Jeep I ever observed on bumpy basalt USFS roads was running big sidewall tires at about 15psi. Smooth as silk over all those rocks. Now picture doing that in an Escalade with 22-inch rims and 15 psi. Flat tire for sure, very quickly, if trying to match the speed of the previously mentioned Jeep. Tires are a part of your suspension, so to speak. Depends on what type of ride you want. Fast highway driving with very stable high-speed cornering, low profiles are good. I would argue, if you drive in some of the big cities around here, pot holes, RR tracks, old bumpy asphalt and concrete, I would choose the tire with more sidewall at a slightly lower psi.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts