Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Optima EX
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi first time poster.

Just bought a 2017 Optima EX 2.4 Pearl White beige leather. Love the car. I think its got the original tires Kumho's TS31's and there humming pretty good at 29,000 miles.
No vibration just getting loud.
There just $100 Kumho's and about all you can get out of that tire. Lots of tread left though.

Any better tire recommendations don't need all season its a Florida car just hot and sunny that are quiet on this car?

After reading these threads I know I did not research the car enough as was not aware of the engine issue. I called Kia Corp and got on file.
Talking to the nice lady rep this is what I was told:

Since the car was not a CPO car I have the basic 5 year 60,000 mile warranty on the engine. I'm at 29,000 miles. The ECM has been updated last year as well as the KSDS.
Any engine issues after the 5/60 then ECM Service Bulletin PI-1802Y/Z comes into effect:

So much fun after you buy what to you was a beautiful new car. All I can say is I changed the oil and used really good oil 5-30 and new factory filter lol.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,375 Posts
If the car was a CPO, it reverts back to the 10/100k, if not, as you found out 5/60.
The engine has a lifetime warranty if the KSDS has been updated, provided the problem is related to the recall and a stored code P1326 and probably limp mode.
Doesn't matter what type of oil used, dino, synthetic, same with filter, it won't add any mileage to an
engine that's going to seize, so save your money and purchase least expensive oil/filter.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi first time poster.

Just bought a 2017 Optima EX 2.4 Pearl White beige leather. Love the car. I think its got the original tires Kumho's TS31's and there humming pretty good at 29,000 miles.
There just $100 Kumho's and about all you can get out of that tire. Lots of tread left though.

Any better tire recommendations don't need all season its a Florida car just hot and sunny that are quiet on this car?

After reading these threads I know I did not research the car enough as was not aware of the engine issue. I called Kia Corp and got on file.

Since the car was not a CPO car I have the basic 5 year 60,000 mile warranty on the engine. I'm at 29,000 miles. The ECM has been updated last year as well as the KSDS.
Any engine issues after the 5/60 then ECM Service Bulletin PI-1802Y/Z comes into effect:

So much fun after you buy what to you was a beautiful new car. All I can say is I changed the oil and used really good oil 5-30 and new factory filter lol.

Thanks.

does this mean that regardless of mileage, the engine is covered by Kia when experiencing P1326? i'm almost at 60k and also did not buy CPO...

·
Registered
2017 Optima EX
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Its kind of vague really. First it started out as a hard 5 year 60,000 mile warranty only discussion then they saw the car had the ecm upgraded and the knock sensor installed last year by previous owner which complicates things so if the engine fails after the 5/60 and meets the failure parameters of the service bulletin I posted above it may be covered long after the 5/60.
My take on it is if you don't have the ecm upgraded and the Knock sensor installed you are out of luck after the 5/60. So it behooves anyone with this car to get to the dealer and get that done.
Its a shame. The engine runs perfect. Quick little car in Sport mode. Beautiful car styling wise.

What I learned is a CPO is pretty cool. It greatly extends the factory warrant at least for Kia. Never bought a CPO car not sure how much extra that costs.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Its kind of vague really. First it started out as a hard 5 year 60,000 mile warranty only discussion then they saw the car had the ecm upgraded and the knock sensor installed last year by previous owner which complicates things so if the engine fails after the 5/60 and meets the failure parameters of the service bulletin I posted above it may be covered long after the 5/60.
My take on it is if you don't have the ecm upgraded and the Knock sensor installed you are out of luck after the 5/60. So it behooves anyone with this car to get to the dealer and get that done.
Its a shame. The engine runs perfect. Quick little car in Sport mode. Beautiful car styling wise.

What I learned is a CPO is pretty cool. It greatly extends the factory warrant at least for Kia. Never bought a CPO car not sure how much extra that costs.
I’ve had a P1326 code twice in the past 3 months. First trip to the dealer, they said all it needed was a software update. Car ran great again until the same thing happened about 700 miles later. This time, they replaced a knock sensor. I’m now at 59,800 so I’m hoping if the engine goes later on it will be covered....

·
Registered
2013 Ebony SXL Turbo: Original Everything @ about 189K with Drag wheels.
344 Posts
does this mean that regardless of mileage, the engine is covered by Kia when experiencing P1326?...
I believe the short answer is Yes.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
171 Posts
Hi first time poster.

Thanks.
PS31? I'm looking for tire options also and using run flats on an SX and all i've run into is junk with Bridgestone, Pirelli and Michellin so far. About to try Continental next.

·
Registered
2013 Ebony SXL Turbo: Original Everything @ about 189K with Drag wheels.
344 Posts
... run into is junk with Bridgestone, Pirelli and Michellin...
Making decisions here too for next set so curious, which Michelins and what was wrong/not liked about them?

Might help me decide, thanks!

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
171 Posts
Making decisions here too for next set so curious, which Michelins and what was wrong/not liked about them?

Might help me decide, thanks!
The last 2 Michelin Primacy mxm4 that I purchased are on the front of my vehicle now and both have a bubble on the outer side. The Bridgestones would either crack on the side and leak or bubble and Pirelli's tread didn't last long at all.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi first time poster.

Thanks.
My 2019 LX has OEM Nexen tires. Pretty much shot at 23,000 miles. Very quiet though. I had General Altimax RT43 on my previous Optima. Nice tire but more noisy than the OEM tires. So, no real advice on what to buy - more on what not to buy.

·
Registered
2017 Optima EX
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i went with Cooper tires as I had a set on another car and they were great, so went with new Cooper Evolution tires black wall 215-55-R17.
They are really really quiet and feel great and behaved themselves in the rain. $123 each plus $124 for install.
Feels like a brand new car now.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi first time poster.

Thanks.
My 2018 EX has 76,000 miles on it. Came with Kumho Ta 31s. Also have a 2018 SXL with 12,000 miles on it. The SXL came with Michelin Primacy's. The Ex rides softer and has the same or maybe less road noise. The SXL has a stiff ride and the steering is tighter. Two days ago i purchased 4 Michelin Defenders at Discount Tire for the EX. I would have gotten the Kumho's. But, the Michelins were on sale and i got then for exactly same price as the Kumho's. I have driven the EX about 100 miles since getting the Michelins. At this point I will say that I can't tell any difference in the ride or road noise comparing the two tire brands. The Kumho's with 76,000 miles still had 3/32 of tread.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Soul X-Line 2.0 MPI
102 Posts
Thanks Raybo.
I did Bookmark-folder your latest choice.... Cooper Evolution tires black wall 215-55-R17

Reactions: Raybo

·
Registered
2017 Optima EX
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Put about 500 miles on them so far great tire very quiet good in the rain and it’s a great looking tire to has blackwall raised lettering hard to describe I will post photo of it. But looks really good.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts