Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima SXL
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A multi-store Tire Ctr here told me yesterday their bldg's storage may have 4-5 year old New tires TO SELL (still can't believe it) .
Guessed that the Yokohama Advan Sport A/S I'm interested in on arrival may be a 2016-17 Tire (told him no way) .

What's the max made-date Age would you feel is worthy of your New Tires purchase $$?

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima
407 Posts
Funny you mention that. I saw some standard issue Kuhmos on fleabay for $379 shipped for set of four for my 2016 SX. Says manufacture date 2015. Guess it depends on how many miles/year you drive. I believe 7 years is the standard expiration date for tires.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Optima
582 Posts
Tire Rack says:

What does the industry say about tire aging? Our experience has been that when properly stored and cared for, most street tires have a useful life in service of between six to ten years.
But I personally wouldn't want to buy tires more than about 2 years old, regardless if I thought (hoped?) they had been properly stored by the tire store.

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,687 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima SXL
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
One site stated you shouldn't install tires over 6-Yrs old and the any-tire throw-away age is 10 years.
I'm assuming they sit in a hot warehouse but had no clue how much they degrade just in that environment.
I know I'd take a 12-18 mos old tire but I'm going to think about taking much older than that.
Drive only 10-11K mi / year & Just curious what you all thought -- and you're more forgiving than I expected.

Edit: Tire Rack link does say most of their tires are 1 year or less old - BUT - Low volume tires may be "several years" old - (discounted price) & are sold on premise that miles will wear them out before Age.

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
1,266 Posts
Makes one sorta wonder how much those treadwear warranties are worth if/when the tire manufacturer might deny a claim by arguing that the tire is too old, regardless of when you actually bought the tires.

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
1,266 Posts
Yeah in the past before I learned about this stuff I discovered after the fact that some of the tires were sold to me as "new" had manufacturer week/date codes that indicated that the tires were clearly over a year old.

·
Registered
2013 Kia LX
348 Posts
Interesting ... But wouldn't the date have something to do with the usable life of the tire material. Another thought, does that mean a new car is not new if you don't take delivery the day it is made. It could sit for a long time. I guess with that thought unless you get it when it comes off the line it is not new.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Optima
582 Posts
Interesting ... But wouldn't the date have something to do with the usable life of the tire material. Another thought, does that mean a new car is not new if you don't take delivery the day it is made. It could sit for a long time. I guess with that thought unless you get it when it comes off the line it is not new.
The point is that the rubber and other materials in a tire decompose with time, due to oxidation and other chemical reactions. This decomposition weakens the tire over time, making it susceptible to failure, so it is important to observe the date of manufacture.

·
Registered
2013 Kia LX
348 Posts
I understand but what is the exact time frame. And what it the difference between companies and the make of the tire of that company. Unless your a little old lady who just drives to church am sure you will wear them out before the time expire. A good phrase is to just enjoy the new ride from them and don't fret the small stuff...

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,687 Posts
Anybody know someone whose tires failed from old age?

I am guessing it's a very boring process, maybe the tires get kind of cracked and seep air out to where it's very annoying. Because I think the failure is about the rubber being too old. I bet the cords have a longer survival time, so the tire would still hold together and just slowly crumble the old rubber and lose air to annoy you.

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
1,266 Posts
I understand but what is the exact time frame. And what it the difference between companies and the make of the tire of that company. Unless your a little old lady who just drives to church am sure you will wear them out before the time expire. A good phrase is to just enjoy the new ride from them and don't fret the small stuff...
Granted that tires don't typically have expiration dates stamped on them, but here is a very rough analogy--if you could (or, had to) pick between two unopened (i.e., new) cartons of milk in which one of them had an expiration date that was a few days later than the other carton...which carton would you choose?

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima SXL
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thought I'd report the Yokohama Advan Sport A/S's ( $758 ) were installed yesterday and for 1-day's use I like them a lot.

2 Things: (1) have Never heard of Re-Torquing Lug Nuts after 50-100 Miles of driving but it's in Red Letters on the Receipt - they didn't mention it but it's in Googled articles.

(2) I washed my car 2 days prior and hand dry the wheels + Tire Wet. Putting Tire Wet on new tires I sadly discovered Frt / Rear Drvr side gouges at the wheel edge adjacent to tire. One short and one long and I could Not have missed them drying the wheels Had they been there B4 new tires.

They say Only Rubber Grips touch the Wheels to break-apart from tire.
With 360 Surround Cameras I have NEVER curbed this car.
They've agreed to contact Corp Ofce for cosmetic fix but to be fair, CAN the Tire-Wheel break-down somehow cause Wheel edge gouging in this pic?
Can't rationalize any other way this could have occurred.

https://i.imgur.com/xLRYzVA.jpg

·
Registered
2017 Kia Optima
582 Posts
^ That would infuriate me. While the machines may have protective rubber surfaces, there is also the "pry bar" typically used, which is almost always bare metal.

I know those guys are working fast and hard, and it's repetitive, dirty work, but I've seen many cases where they are cavalier about wheel damage while doing it.

And btw, another place where they often do damage is in countersunk lug nut recesses. They jam the socket of their air-powered guns into the recesses, often dinging the edges, and then the rapidly-spinning socket sometimes spins against the sides of the recess. A GOOD tire shop will at least wrap their sockets in heavy tape, but they will also instruct their tire changers to be careful and avoid damage.

Stay on them and make them compensate you or repair your wheels.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima SXL
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
A friend who has seen the pics feels the type of damage shown may not be from a tire machine. It would seem the long scratch would have to be from the tire slipping a lot while gripped. I'm going to another tire place or two and see what they say. Not trying to rip off anyone but I just can't believe after washes / wheel drying I've Missed seeing these obvious gouges B4 the new tires.

Will update when able.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima SXL
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Would think there might be damage on all wheels if from the tire machine. Would think that all tires would have been changed on the same machine. Picture looks more like curb rub.....
Can't disagree about Curb Rub BUT it's driving me nuts I never noticed it B4 Install & at recent wash-wheel dry. AND, I would remember IF I curbed the car, particularly having 360 Surround Cameras I use Specifically for curbing prevention.
In 4 separate new tire installs it seemed logical a machine Slip of a metal Rod would be Independent of the prior or next. I just don't know how it works.
I won't make 'em fix it IF one or more other dealers believe it's Not a tire machine.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima SXL
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Can't disagree about Curb Rub BUT it's driving me nuts I never noticed it B4 Install & at recent wash-wheel dry. AND, I would remember IF I curbed the car, particularly having 360 Surround Cameras I use Specifically for curbing prevention.
In 4 separate new tire installs it seemed logical a machine Slip of a metal Rod would be Independent of the prior or next. I just don't know how it works.
I won't make 'em fix it IF one or more other dealers believe it's Not a tire machine.
B4 I forget it, tried to see if a year-old tire could replace the dinky EOM Spare, BUT it won't fit (sits too tall & trunk mat would bulge Up), and while I was at it I chk'd my SPARE TIRE PRESSURE = 25 PSI Vs supposed to be 60. I guarantee most of you have Useless Spares unless you carry a 12V Air Pump. Big FYI .....

Another Tire Store said the long gouge looks like a curb scrape as the Tire Rod should make side-ways striations Vs more vertical on mine.
He DID say their Plastic Protective Feet have to be Replaced All the Time, but it would appear I couldn't win this argument. Killing me how I could have missed both places. BUT, the tires so far are great. Gave me a Phn # of a cosmetic wheel repair guy so I'll get a quote and measure that against Hobby Lobby silver paint.

DO a Before Walk-around anytime somebody's is messing with your wheels & tires.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.