Kia Optima Forums banner

41 - 60 of 493 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
If you answer your phone on the phone instead of the steering wheel controls it does not come throught the speakers.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
turned the lights on this morning (usually kept in 'auto') because I think it looks good to have them on all day (DRLs, here I come!)...sure enough, left the lights on the 'on' position when I got to work...came back after 8 hours, car started fine, no problems.

got back home and tested...no audible warning....the lights shut themselves off after 30 seconds....flippin' sweet! now i'm just gonna leave them in the 'on' position for good.

I just learned this today! :D Now I just keep them on too. :D

I dont know if this has been mentioned, but you can open the sunroof partially but lightly pushing the button again when you open the roof. just press to stop it to your desire opening. I always thought it had to be either fully opened or completely closed.

·
Premium Member
1,749 Posts
On the nav screen, if you touch the bar in the upper part of the screen, which shows your eta and miles to your chosen destination, it displays the address info.
If this address is in your address book, it shows the address book entry.

·
Premium Member
1,749 Posts
If you touch the compass pointer on the nav screen, it locks the screen orientation on true north. Press again and it goes back to your default setting.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Smart Key Unlocks Trunk

The trunk automatically unlocks as you approach the vehicle with the smart key in you pocket or purse

·
Registered
202 Posts
Re: charging via usb. Although the manual doesn't offer a spec, I suspect it's limited to the 500mA output (similar as on pc/laptop). Some devices such as my EVO will charge at this rate, but it will take forever. I actually have a 1A usb charger for the cig port to use instead (check out monoprice.com). I think the primary purpose of this usb port is for input, not so much for charging.

As for shifting with the paddles while in D, what I understood from the manual is that it'll hold the gear for 7 seconds before returning back to D.

Look on page 5-19 of the manual for more info.
cool feature. thanks for the info!

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
If you push the little button on the smart key, you can pull out a physical key to open the doors if your battery dies. I was pretty amazed when I accidentally did that.

Also, there's a smart key-shaped hole in the glovebox, if your battery is dead in the remote, stick the whole remote in there to be able to start the car.
Speaking of this.. I was told that sticking the key in the hole will charge the remote??

·
01/2012 ROTM
2,434 Posts
Will NOT charge it...the batteries are not rechargeable...only replaceable.

·
Registered
518 Posts
in my SX i can shift into Manuel mode while in regular drive mode by just touching the downshift paddle on the steering wheel.
i tried this this morning and i don't think it stays in manual...
if you drive fast enough, it switches right back to auto mode...

·
01/2012 ROTM
2,434 Posts
I am sure you're not that all surprised:)

I, typically, know more about the car when shopping for it than the salesman does. Very disapointing but that just seems to be the way it is.

·
01/2012 ROTM
2,434 Posts
GenX - it does not stay in manual mode and is not designed to. It only downshifts or upshifts for the moment and holds it for about 5-10 seconds and then reverts back to auto mode.

·
Registered
518 Posts
so i guess i'm wondering what the point of doing it is... ?
or is it just for a quicker passing gear change or something like that?

·
Registered
819 Posts
Genxist, this is useful for when you're too lazy to put it into manual, but want to downshift for the moment. Examples might be going up a hill with cruise on. It won't kick down a gear unless it's a really steep incline. Coming from manual trans, lugging is bad, so i'll force it a down a gear instead. Other example might be taking a curve, or passing.

I do wish this trans matched revs on the manual downshifts. 6-5 is ok, but 5-4 is a bit abrupt.

·
itscoldoutdog
1,825 Posts
GenX - it does not stay in manual mode and is not designed to. It only downshifts or upshifts for the moment and holds it for about 5-10 seconds and then reverts back to auto mode.
Interesting. My experience is different. I know on side roads ~ 40-45 mph that the auto mode will want to be in 4th, but i'll use the paddle to bump it to 5th to get better gas mileage... Key is that when it stops showing "5" and goes back to "D" the RPM does not go back up (shift to 4th). I've done this many many times, "trick" it into a better gas mileage gear and each time it stays unless I decelerate or accelerate too much.

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
Mine reverts to "D" very quickly on a flat road - just about the right time to stay in a lower gear around and out of a corner, or create a deeper downshift to accelerate harder. But going down hills - we have plenty of steep ones around Seattle - it holds the selected gear all the way down. My commute includes one descent down a half-mile long 14% grade (Yes, I've measured it going up on a bicycle!). I put it in "3" at the top and it's still in "3" a minute later at the bottom, where it will revert to "D" pretty quickly on the flat. I think the SX paddle shift logic is a distinct improvement over my previous Audi's DSG.

I flip the lever into full-time manual mode and use the paddles when driving on a twisty road.

·
Registered
170 Posts
turned the lights on this morning (usually kept in 'auto') because I think it looks good to have them on all day (DRLs, here I come!)...sure enough, left the lights on the 'on' position when I got to work...came back after 8 hours, car started fine, no problems.

got back home and tested...no audible warning....the lights shut themselves off after 30 seconds....flippin' sweet! now i'm just gonna leave them in the 'on' position for good.
I'm a fan of this. I left mine on at the store and when I locked the car pushing the lock button twice, the lights went off. Less than 30 seconds.

41 - 60 of 493 Posts
About this Discussion
492 Replies
219 Participants
drneelukoura
Kia Optima Forums
Optima Forums is the community to discuss the Kia Optima as well as custom Kias and all the accessories to personalize your Kia!
Full Forum Listing