Kia Optima Forums banner

481 - 493 of 493 Posts

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
They are really going European with the way they do things. Wonder how soon until the move the light from the stalk to the dash and put some of the computer functions on the stalk.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
2016 Optima SXL (but I'm guessing applies to all the redesigned models).

So you just washed your car and you want to pull the wiper blades out of the way so you can dry your windshield. And you realize it cannot be done as the hood is in the way?!?

Yes, you now cannot fold out the wiper arms from the windshield when they are in the off position. (They are recessed more deeply than on my 2012 and the metal wiper arm hits the back lip of the hood when bent at the hinge.)

So I got out the trusty manual and discovered that if within 20 seconds of shutting off the car, if you push up on your wiper control arm by the steering wheel to the "mist" setting and hold for two seconds, the wipers move up and stop in the middle of their arc, so that you can then fold the wiper blades away from the glass and wipe it off.

Once the car is started again or the accessories are powered, it returns to its recessed position.
Funny. My wife's Volvo is like that, the wipers hit the hood also. I thought this was stupid at first, but then I decided to see what the manual said about changing blades. Same deal, you have to put them into "service position" much the same way as you found.

We are not alone: The Windshield-Wiper "Service Position" Explained – Feature – Car and Driver | Car and Driver Blog

·
Registered
121 Posts
If this hasn't been said if you unlock the car doesn't matter what trim level you have the Car will auto-lock in 60 Seconds if you don't open any door on the car

·
Registered
416 Posts
If this hasn't been said if you unlock the car doesn't matter what trim level you have the Car will auto-lock in 60 Seconds if you don't open any door on the car
Yep page 45.

·
Registered
15 Posts
2015 Optima SX-T Push to start (Not sure if it works with other models)
-Something I found out today by accident. If you are listening to the radio while the car is off and you want to switch ignition to on so you can roll down the window, after you switch the ignition to on you can actually depress and hold the button on the shifter and then press the push start to go back to the ACC position. So instead of having to go from On back to Off then back to ACC you can just go straight from On to ACC. I wish I found this out earlier because I hated how the radio would go off just cause I had to open or close a window. I hope this helps someone!

·
Former Administrator
6,926 Posts
2015 Optima SX-T Push to start (Not sure if it works with other models)
-Something I found out today by accident. If you are listening to the radio while the car is off and you want to switch ignition to on so you can roll down the window, after you switch the ignition to on you can actually depress and hold the button on the shifter and then press the push start to go back to the ACC position. So instead of having to go from On back to Off then back to ACC you can just go straight from On to ACC. I wish I found this out earlier because I hated how the radio would go off just cause I had to open or close a window. I hope this helps someone!
Yep, I found this out when I was installing the new faces knob. Good one! If the car thinks the button is pushed in, it will turn off the car but leave it in ACC mode.

·
Registered
200 Posts
2016 Optima SXL (but I'm guessing applies to all the redesigned models).

So you just washed your car and you want to pull the wiper blades out of the way so you can dry your windshield. And you realize it cannot be done as the hood is in the way?!?

Yes, you now cannot fold out the wiper arms from the windshield when they are in the off position. (They are recessed more deeply than on my 2012 and the metal wiper arm hits the back lip of the hood when bent at the hinge.)

So I got out the trusty manual and discovered that if within 20 seconds of shutting off the car, if you push up on your wiper control arm by the steering wheel to the "mist" setting and hold for two seconds, the wipers move up and stop in the middle of their arc, so that you can then fold the wiper blades away from the glass and wipe it off.

Once the car is started again or the accessories are powered, it returns to its recessed position.
I tried this today on my 2016 EX and it worked.
The one difference was I had to run my wipers to get them back to the original position, it didn't happen when I turned the car on.

·
Registered
36 Posts
A couple of weeks ago drove to Valley of Fire, north of Las Vegas. Once in the park, the scenery is beautiful. Lots of curves, some decent hills and a very strict speed limit. Overall a fun drive, especially once you leave the park and drive back to Las Vegas along Lake Mead.

So I’m driving along, fat, dumb and happy listening to music on the USB stick. As I rounded a curve, the navigation voice cuts in to tell me “curve ahead.” Thought I was hearing things. Awhile later, it did it again. But it didn’t do it on every curve. Not sure if it’s built into the system or if one of the cameras is recognizing the curve sign. When I got home, I checked the navigation manual, saw there is a setting for this. No real explanation of what it does, or how it does it, but thought it was interesting. I’ve been on a couple of other rural type drives with some good curves, but never got the curve message.

I had the car it in Sport Mode not so much for the engine response as for the tighter steering. I was able to also try the paddle shifters as well as the lever. Don’t get much of a chance to do that with my mainly city traffic driving. Found that I could go into 6[SUP]th[/SUP] gear, when I wasn’t under any load and watched the tach drop. Figured I might save a bit on gas.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I drive at highway speeds about 80% of the time, so my cluster always shows that I'm averaging 30+mpg. I assume the computer uses that to calculate the estimate range before empty. After filling up my car last week, I noticed the estimated range said 549 miles. I was surprised by how high this was (it usually only shows about 520 miles), but I was even more surprised when I drove about 5 miles, looked at the cluster again, and it still read 549 miles. I thought it was broken until about 10 miles later when it finally showed 545 miles remaining. It's been steadily falling ever since. Did I max out the meter? Can it only display 549 even though the car can theoretically go further?

·
Registered
24 Posts
if you have auto hold on, park the car and shut it off with your foot on the brake, it applies the parking break automatically...

·
Registered
379 Posts
If you’re using the built in Qi charging pad on the 2016 SX-L, if you shut your car off but leave the phone on the pad, the center console pops a warning up stating “device on wireless charger”,to remind you to take your phone! Pretty cool! Just started using the charger with the new iPhone X.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Is there any thread on here that compared the 11-13 SX-L to 14-15 SX-L model? The 14 & 15 SX-L models have laminated windshield and front windows. I'm curious how big of improvement in term of cabin noise.

481 - 493 of 493 Posts
About this Discussion
492 Replies
219 Participants
drneelukoura
Kia Optima Forums
Optima Forums is the community to discuss the Kia Optima as well as custom Kias and all the accessories to personalize your Kia!
Full Forum Listing