Kia Optima Forums banner

461 - 480 of 493 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,431 Posts
fuel lid door has an area that holds the gas cap
LOL what's funny is I only realized this the other day even though Ive had my car 2 years!

·
Former Administrator
6,926 Posts
I'm not sure if this has been shared or not, but it's something David and I discovered when messing with the New faces shift knob:

If you hold in the button on the shifter when you turn off your car, it will stay on in accessory mode

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I'm not sure if this has been shared or not, but it's something David and I discovered when messing with the New faces shift knob:

If you hold in the button on the shifter when you turn off your car, it will stay on in accessory mode
The 2014 on up Optima SXL do that by default when you only just turn off the car until you open the drivers door to leave the car and then the radio and lights turn off, well at least mine do.

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
28,093 Posts

Yep this also works on the OEM shift knob as well.

The 2014 on up Optima SXL do that by default when you only just turn off the car until you open the drivers door to leave the car and then the radio and lights turn off, well at least mine do.
This is correct.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I first missed the windshield spray feature that requires you to push the wiper stalk toward you when I first just bought the car.(my last car had a button on the end of the stalk for the sprayers)

I only tried to push it up and only got the quick wipe with no fluid and thought my sprayers was broken until I accidentally push the stalk towards me and the sprayers worked a few days later.

I even called a KIA dealer to schedule a repair on it before I figured it out.

Well,I am glad I did figure that out before taking the car in to the service department.:facepalm:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Well, this top tip doesn't seem to be a well know tip.

This is another way to turn your engine off, but keep you Accessories (Radio) still powered up.
  1. Shift into Park.
  2. Depress the Shift-Lock button on the side on the Automatic Shifter, hold button In.
  3. Press the Start button, to shut the engine off.
  4. You Accessories and Radio will remain on.
This has been the more common way that people have been doing this. It's been posted before in many threads, including this one.

Works just the same as:
  1. Placing the Automatic Shifter into Neutral.
  2. Press the Start button, to shut the engine off.
  3. Then Placing the Automatic Shifter into Park.
  4. You Accessories and Radio will remain on.
Awesome! thanks

·
Registered
102 Posts
I just learned so much random stuff that I'm bout to go try out haha.

Good read here but so many pages to scroll through. Would be sweet if someone had the time to go through all the pages and make one big list or at least a partial list.

·
Banned
1,215 Posts
For the UVO navigation system, you can change the map zoom to "Auto" and it'll zoom in and out based on the speed you're driving. I will say though, it's a little trippy (no pun intended) watching the map zoom in and out as you speed up and slow down. Also, kind of funny living in Texas, when I switch the map to "State" view, it doesn't show me any state borders. I have to switch it to "Country". I should take it to my local dealership and pretend that it's a defect....

·
Registered
423 Posts
fuel lid door has an area that holds the gas cap
LOL what's funny is I only realized this the other day even though Ive had my car 2 years!
Wow - I'm surprised so many have not known about this. Every car I've driven since the mid 1990's has a gas cap holder built into the door (even rental cars). But maybe I've just driven a select few that had this?

For the UVO navigation system, you can change the map zoom to "Auto" and it'll zoom in and out based on the speed you're driving. I will say though, it's a little trippy (no pun intended) watching the map zoom in and out as you speed up and slow down. Also, kind of funny living in Texas, when I switch the map to "State" view, it doesn't show me any state borders. I have to switch it to "Country". I should take it to my local dealership and pretend that it's a defect....
Hahahahaha! Don't you get it?! Even the NAV system recognizes Texas as it's own country! God Bless the great [Strike]State[/Strike] Country of Texas! :rockon:

·
Registered
28 Posts
On my SX, if you hold the TRIP button and go to the menu on the DIC, you have the option to disable many things, including the "Welcome light"..I think it's called, which is what turns your headlights on after you turn off the car. You can also disable the horn honk when you arm your alarm, the seat assist (moving forward when you start), the triple turn signal, auto-reset of the avg MPG, and a few other things.
Disabling this horn just saved this car for me! GF has an Elantra with same sound... Always joke about it saying *meep*meep* when she locks it. I no longer have a *meep*meep* horn when i lock it! She can no longer make fun of my car!! thank goodness!

·
Registered
551 Posts
This is not in the Manual, I checked really hard. I read each word, each sentence, forwards and backwards. I discovered this after three years of owning my car. The Headlights are in the front of the car, the tail lights are in the rear of the car.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have a 2011 Optima. When the defrost is engaged the A/C light is not on. I took this to mean that the A/C was not operating but wasn't sure. In many vehicles the A/C is set to go on whenever defrost is selected. I prefer to have the option of manually adjusting it to A/C if I want it on. I found a way to change this setting if you want the A/C to always come on or only go on manually if you turn the A/C on during the defrost mode. Following the following procedure:
1. Turn ignition to ON position
2. Turn fan to position 1
3. Quickly tap the Recirculation button five times

When the recirculation light blinks three times you know that a change has been made. Obviously doing it a second time, after turning off the ignition, will return it to the previous setting.

·
Registered
551 Posts

This I found out yesterday, inside my 2013 sxl when I opened the fuse box, the piece to the right is a fuse puller.

·
Super Moderator
3,431 Posts
Reported Post by JasonS

Posted by: b450sc
Original Content:
I have a 2011 Optima. When the defrost is engaged the A/C light is not on. I took this to mean that the A/C was not operating but wasn't sure. In many vehicles the A/C is set to go on whenever defrost is selected. I prefer to have the option of manually adjusting it to A/C if I want it on. I found a way to change this setting if you want the A/C to always come on or only go on manually if you turn the A/C on during the defrost mode. Following the following procedure:
1. Turn ignition to ON position
2. Turn fan to position 1
3. Quickly tap the Recirculation button five times

When the recirculation light blinks three times you know that a change has been made. Obviously doing it a second time, after turning off the ignition, will return it to the previous setting.

·
Registered
423 Posts
JasonS has reported a post.

Reason:
Forum: DIY : Audio, Navigation, And Electronics
Assigned Moderators: JasonS

Posted by: b450sc
Original Content:
I believe there is a similar method to get your Recirculate button to be in the "on" position by default when set to Auto & A/C. Saw it somewhere on the forums but cant remember where.

·
Registered
379 Posts
2016 Optima SXL

2016 Optima SXL (but I'm guessing applies to all the redesigned models).

So you just washed your car and you want to pull the wiper blades out of the way so you can dry your windshield. And you realize it cannot be done as the hood is in the way?!?

Yes, you now cannot fold out the wiper arms from the windshield when they are in the off position. (They are recessed more deeply than on my 2012 and the metal wiper arm hits the back lip of the hood when bent at the hinge.)

So I got out the trusty manual and discovered that if within 20 seconds of shutting off the car, if you push up on your wiper control arm by the steering wheel to the "mist" setting and hold for two seconds, the wipers move up and stop in the middle of their arc, so that you can then fold the wiper blades away from the glass and wipe it off.

Once the car is started again or the accessories are powered, it returns to its recessed position.

461 - 480 of 493 Posts
About this Discussion
492 Replies
219 Participants
drneelukoura
Kia Optima Forums
Optima Forums is the community to discuss the Kia Optima as well as custom Kias and all the accessories to personalize your Kia!
Full Forum Listing