21 - 40 of 493 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Its on the EX-L as well in Canada

·
Premium Member
1,749 Posts
If you park your FOB into the key FOB holder slot in the glovebox, start the car, then turn it off, power stays on so you can power up/down the windows.

No power to radio or sunroof though.

It ends once you open the door or remove the FOB from that slot (which you must do to lock the car)

·
Premium Member
1,749 Posts
Found out you can lock the car with the second FOB, if the first is sitting inside the car. It won't lock if the FOB is parked in it's holder in the glovebox.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Re: charging via usb. Although the manual doesn't offer a spec, I suspect it's limited to the 500mA output (similar as on pc/laptop). Some devices such as my EVO will charge at this rate, but it will take forever. I actually have a 1A usb charger for the cig port to use instead (check out monoprice.com). I think the primary purpose of this usb port is for input, not so much for charging.

As for shifting with the paddles while in D, what I understood from the manual is that it'll hold the gear for 7 seconds before returning back to D.

Look on page 5-19 of the manual for more info.

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
As for shifting with the paddles while in D, what I understood from the manual is that it'll hold the gear for 7 seconds before returning back to D.

Look on page 5-19 of the manual for more info.
I find that the length of time before returning to "D" is affected by the car's situation, sensed by accelerometers. The paddle shift logic seems better than my previous Audi A3 with the DSG transmission.

I descend a steep (more than 10%), half-mile long hill every morning that has a ridiculously low speed limit. I paddle shift to "3" at the top of the hill and it holds it until I stop for the light at the bottom, after about a minute. When I'm going around a corner with some "enthusiasm" the transmission holds the paddle-shifted gear throughout the corner. OTOH, the A3 would often revert to "D" half way down that hill or sometimes in the middle of a corner, even though it also had accelerometers to augment the timer.

But if I downshift to accelerate or decelerate on flat, straight road, then the SX shifts to "D" much sooner, maybe even earlier than 7 seconds.

·
Registered
923 Posts
also to keep accessories on when u are about to park. leave the car in neutral then hit the start/stop button. then shift into park. that will keep your car accessories on. to keep your phone charging while u wait to pick someone up. or keep listening to the radio without interruption/
Excellent find!

·
Former Administrator
6,926 Posts
You know, every time I buy a car, I secretly hope I get the MI6 edition, standard equipped with stinger missiles behind the headlights, oil slicks, ejector seats, the works.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
If you park your FOB into the key FOB holder slot in the glovebox, start the car, then turn it off, power stays on so you can power up/down the windows.

No power to radio or sunroof though.

It ends once you open the door or remove the FOB from that slot (which you must do to lock the car)
No need to do this, as the later post (and mine would have) mentions that the "N" trick before "P" :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
turned the lights on this morning (usually kept in 'auto') because I think it looks good to have them on all day (DRLs, here I come!)...sure enough, left the lights on the 'on' position when I got to work...came back after 8 hours, car started fine, no problems.

got back home and tested...no audible warning....the lights shut themselves off after 30 seconds....flippin' sweet! now i'm just gonna leave them in the 'on' position for good.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Do the windows go up/down at all in the accessory position? Appears the car has to be in the ON position (on but not running, but on none the less) for the windows to be energized. My old car I could simply turn the key to acc to open/close windows. I suppose not a huge issue, but it means the smart button has to be pressed twice.

·
Premium Member
1,749 Posts
No need to do this, as the later post (and mine would have) mentions that the "N" trick before "P" :)
I usually stop the car and put it in park, not neutral, when waiting curbside. This way the ignition system and acc are off, and only power to the windows is left.
In the SX this works best and is simpler IMO. :) I don't need to go oops forgot to stop in neutral.
Both work :), which is good to know.

·
Registered
3 Posts
If you push the little button on the smart key, you can pull out a physical key to open the doors if your battery dies. I was pretty amazed when I accidentally did that.
KIA really made this option so you can bring key while you go surfing!

·
Registered
110 Posts
turned the lights on this morning (usually kept in 'auto') because I think it looks good to have them on all day (DRLs, here I come!)...sure enough, left the lights on the 'on' position when I got to work...came back after 8 hours, car started fine, no problems.

got back home and tested...no audible warning....the lights shut themselves off after 30 seconds....flippin' sweet! now i'm just gonna leave them in the 'on' position for good.
Yep, been doing that for a month or so - I absolutely MUST drive with the headlights on, it is a SAFETY PRIORITY for me. I do this on ALL my cars. I forget the exact figures, but your something like 600% more likely to be noticed than without lights - just might keep the goobers from pulling out in front of you a time or two.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Phone Calls

If you are on the phone (connected via bluetooth) and you turn the car off, the call transfers to your phone. Hence, you are not disconnected.

You can also force the call off of the speakers by hitting the "Private" button on the Nav's phone screen (Nav equipped models - I don't know on the non-Nav). You can send it back to the vehicle speakers by hitting the button again.

John

·
Registered
110 Posts
If you are on the phone (connected via bluetooth) and you turn the car off, the call transfers to your phone. Hence, you are not disconnected.
Actually I think this is more a feature of the PHONE than the car, the BT connection is dropped on shut down and the phone simply turns on the handsets speaker and mic.

I did learn this too by accident, got to a restaurant and shut the car down as the wife was talking to her brother - "Whoops! He'll have to call back." We keep hearing this tiny, tinny voice saying "Hello, hello! Are you there" then we realized he was still on the line while the phone was in my wifes purse!

·
Registered
37 Posts

You can also force the call off of the speakers by hitting the "Private" button on the Nav's phone screen (Nav equipped models - I don't know on the non-Nav). You can send it back to the vehicle speakers by hitting the button again.

John
Holding down the "talk" button (not the green phone pick up button) will put you in and out of privacy mode for the non nav models.

21 - 40 of 493 Posts
About this Discussion
492 Replies
219 Participants
drneelukoura
Kia Optima Forums
Optima Forums is the community to discuss the Kia Optima as well as custom Kias and all the accessories to personalize your Kia!
Full Forum Listing