Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all......IS IT a belt (vs chain) on the 2014 SX (non-turbo)?

Secondly, I bought the car, used, with 135,000 kliks on it last October and I don't know if the timing belt/chain has been replaced.

Without the benefit of access to the previous owner...is there any way to TELL if it's been done?

Has anyone else had theirs done......and can tell me what sort of COST to expect?

Thanks, guys.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Chain and don't worry about it!
Our old '08 2.4 had a chain and at 300,000 miles good to go.
If and when the chain decides to stretch, you'll know.

·
Registered
19 Posts
good to hear, hopefully the girlfriends 18 2.4 is similar. i replaced several belts on VAG volkswagen auto group cars, not bad + MUCH cheaper than having it done at the stealers!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
SPEAKING of having it done at the stealers....anyone ever notice some of the ridiculous items listed in the "official" published KIA service schedules online? I say "schedules", because every individual dealership seems to have the ability to publish their own "custom" version of what THEY do under Service 1, 2, 3 and 4.

AND, you'd hope so, because if YOU owned a franchise, would YOU want "Check horn function" to appear under the heading of things you'll do for "Starting at $52.95" as Performance KIA in Thunder Bay does?!?! Check it out. Ridiculous. As I posted on my Facebook page: Thanks, KIA, I got it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Chain and don't worry about it!
Thanks, Turbonut.

So now that we've......correction YOU'VE...established that it IS a chain, and not a belt, and therefore not victim to the dreaded stretching, snapping, slapping, shredding etc that seems to plague timing belts and require routine replacement every 100k or so, anybody got any ideas what might be causing the rattly, vibraty, clunky, clakkety sounds I have coming from the right front section of the engine compartment when I either blip the throttle at stand-still...or when the car comes under initial loading when moving off or when shifting while on the roll?

It's a sound that isn't QUITE as tinny as that from a half-rusted-off convertor heat-shield.....but it's not TOTALLY unlike it, either.

My indie mechanic did the heavy crawling for me though, and confirmed there was nothing exhaust related that was producing the noise. I got HIM to blip the throttle while I looked under the hood, and I had to agree with him, it DID sound as though it were coming from around the bottom of the timing case.....which got us questioning the whole "is it a belt/is it a chain thing".

Anyone familiar with a possible source for this noise? I'm going into the dealer next Monday to have a "Performance sumthin or other" recall done (I think it's a 026 sumpin) and I've asked them to try and diagnose the noise for me.....but I sure as **** don't want them coming back at me with some money-making-for-them probable cause.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
chevy malibu V-6's had chain issues + it was noted that quality xxW30 oils changed regularly were very important
Duly noted! And with that in mind.....I just this weekend put a new jug of Mobil 1 in to see if that quieted things down at all. No joy. :-(

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Let me say this about the possible noise. Although there's a couple of chains that probably aren't the cause of the possible noise, there are also 2 tensioners, 4 guides, and with any mechanical unit one can go bad. Many years ago they had a problem with tensioners, but haven't heard of any in the later model vehicles.

Just a side bar-As the change timing belt light came up on the wife's Acura TL, replaced timing belt , tensioner, idler, and water pump @ 4 hours, but 3k miles later, the new water pump let go and had to do it all again. Anything can fail.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
....replaced timing belt , tensioner, idler, and water pump @ 4 hours, but 3k miles later, the new water pump let go and had to do it all again. Anything can fail.
I feel your pain! That's a story from ****. Hope you had a supportive garage.

·
Registered
34 Posts
chevy malibu V-6's had chain issues + it was noted that quality xxW30 oils changed regularly were very important
Yes, the GM V6's had a big problem. Had a 2010 Chevy Traverse with the 3.6l V6, and one day it started running so bad it was undriveable. When diagnosed, the chain and tensioner were bad. Apparently this was a known issue.
Fortunately, GM fixed it all under warranty. Best way to avoid it in the future was routine oil changes far more frequent than the schedule says. I ended up selling it a couple months later.

·
Super Moderator
3,431 Posts
Good luck. tell us what the dealer thinks. Our timing chain is a metal chain. I know a few members have had to replace a pulley or two due to noise. Perhaps one of those? (btw the pulleys are cheapest off ebay)

Pulley's on the side of our engines: Note the 3 the same size... two Idle pulleys and 1 tensioner.

Here you can see the metal timing chain in the very upper of the picture

1 - 13 of 13 Posts