Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone done this and have any info I should know? So far I've purchased the inner and outer tie rods, looked up details on youtube of generic how-to videos and then generic how-to on a quicky alignment afterwards. I'm just wondering if there is anything special I need to know. So far it looks like I can get the tools for the inner tie rod removal from auto zone lending. The only thing I'm unsure of is the torque for the inner tie rod and for the locking nut. Also, does anyone know the part number for the inner locking clip on the boot?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Heads up to anyone doing this repair. Definitely get the tie rod pull tool to ensure you can get the outer tie rod detached from the wheel hub. Also, you will need a special tool to get the stock inner tie rod off, as it is completely smooth and the rental tools you can get don't really help. Fortunately, I was able to jury rig it to work, by cinching the outer tie rod tool down on the smooth portion and then using a breaker bar to gradually get it off (quite the PITA). Still haven't found the torque numbers for the inner tie rod, so I just put it at 60, since that seemed to be a good number based on what I was finding for a variety of other cars.

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
1,586 Posts
Heads up to anyone doing this repair. Definitely get the tie rod pull tool to ensure you can get the outer tie rod detached from the wheel hub. Also, you will need a special tool to get the stock inner tie rod off, as it is completely smooth and the rental tools you can get don't really help. Fortunately, I was able to jury rig it to work, by cinching the outer tie rod tool down on the smooth portion and then using a breaker bar to gradually get it off (quite the PITA). Still haven't found the torque numbers for the inner tie rod, so I just put it at 60, since that seemed to be a good number based on what I was finding for a variety of other cars.
What would you suggest for getting the inner tie rod off, or can you elaborate?

I'm thinking of trying this, so I'm curious about the details on the stock inner tie rods. Is there a Kia tool that you could use, instead of a makeshift solution?

Or would a generic tool like this from Advance Auto work?
Advance Auto Parts - Down for Maintenance

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
2,107 Posts
Haven't replaced the inners on the Optima, but that tool is fine and depending on the clearance, some use a monkey wrench. Some inners have a flat spot so one could use a wrench to get it loose, but don't think the factory units have that feature. When I did the outers, the inners were fine, so just left them alone.
The outers I loosen the nut, put a bar over the tie rod end close the the knuckle and under the LCA press down, strike knuckle and it will drop.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts