Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So,recently while driving my 2015 kia optima the engine started making a rattling or knocking sound when I would accelerate. Soon after the CEL came on and I promptly took it to my dealer. The engine only has 70k miles and I've always maintained it. The dealer said this has relatively common and they will have to run test over the next 3 weeks to determine what's going on. Is this a normal time frame for diagnosing an engine problem and should it be covered under warranty. Thanks in advance for any advice.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Same exact issue as mine. I had run the code and p1326 at O’Reilleys popped up. Took it to dealer. My dealer I go to says 7-10 diagnostic days and 5-6WEEKS! Just to get the engine. Other dealership 15 minutes away says 2 diagnostic days and less than a month before engine. Was going to tow it to them and my dealership said they started the testing and would have it done Monday. Also claimed they set me up in a hertz rental. Would be total bs if they try to make me pay and the reimburse for it. I shouldn’t have to pay a thing. Figure it out Kia

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
4,210 Posts
If original owner, no problem as you''re covered under the 10/100, and it seems as though the KSDS update, campaign 953 was done, and if this is correct, lifetime warranty on the crappy engine. Why they jerk around for 3 weeks is beyond me as they should know in one day. Also, miles and/or maintenance has nothing to do with the self destruction of the crappy engine as it comes down to a design flaw in the block, so just sit back and want for the incompeteant stealership to replace the engine.
They owe you a rental, or monies toward a rental, so make certain you take advantage of the program.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Turbo, does the lifetime warranty also include the replacement engine as well? My stealership is trying to possibly send this to my CPO (pre owned) warranty as they think they’ll get the engine faster. That doesn’t help me because they only give me $30 a day for a rental which covers next to nothing for 5 days.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
4,210 Posts
Turbo, does the lifetime warranty also include the replacement engine as well? My stealership is trying to possibly send this to my CPO (pre owned) warranty as they think they’ll get the engine faster. That doesn’t help me because they only give me $30 a day for a rental which covers next to nothing for 5 days.
Yes, the replacement engine must have the same warranty as the engine it replaced, lifetime.
Kia's just trying to pass the buck, but normally an aftermarket warranty company will only cover the cost of repairs that the manufacturer doesn't, so in this case, as the engine has a Kia lifetime warranty on the engine, I'd be surprised if the warranty company fell for the deceptive action.
The engine needs to come through Kia, so having stated they could get the engine sooner, what a crock, and who's going to do the install, Kia,
so what's different? If they say anything about having an independent garage do the install, tell them to go fly a kite. Reason Is that some warranty companies will have authorized repair centers that charge much less than a dealership, not that the the dealership is great, but some of the authorized warranty garages leave a lot to be desired, and don't know whether Kia would stand by the lifetime warranty. Just food for thought.
Keep us informed

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If original owner, no problem as you''re covered under the 10/100, and it seems as though the KSDS update, campaign 953 was done, and if this is correct, lifetime warranty on the crappy engine. Why they jerk around for 3 weeks is beyond me as they should know in one day. Also, miles and/or maintenance has nothing to do with the self destruction of the crappy engine as it comes down to a design flaw in the block, so just sit back and want for the incompeteant stealership to replace the engine.
They owe you a rental, or monies toward a rental, so make certain you take advantage of the program.
Turbonut, I bought it as certified inventory from a kia dealership but I'm the second owner. The dealership also said the warranty of the engine would depend on the maintenance records I provide. I've kept it maintained and only put 40k miles on it in 4 years. I don't think I should be paying a dime. Are they giving me the run around? I didn't keep all of my maintenance records. What do you think I should do? Thanks again.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
4,210 Posts
Turbonut, I bought it as certified inventory from a kia dealership but I'm the second owner. The dealership also said the warranty of the engine would depend on the maintenance records I provide. I've kept it maintained and only put 40k miles on it in 4 years. I don't think I should be paying a dime. Are they giving me the run around? I didn't keep all of my maintenance records. What do you think I should do? Thanks again.
A CPO vehicle comes with the 10/100, and you should have paperwork that specifies that, and even if not with the KSDS update done, it has the lifetime warranty. If, when they inspect the engine and ask for maintenance records, ask them why, and that you want to see the engine. They normally pull the valve cover and check if any sludge or buildup is evident, but if you did regular oil changes, there will no buildup, and you should be able to take a look.
If they want an oil change record, go to the person that did the oil changes and get a copy of the receipt, if you did the oil changes, just make a copy of the receipt for the oil and filter, I'm certain something could be made available for them to see.

It probably won't get to that level as they'll take a look and approve the engine replacements.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just heard back from my service advisor and he claims kia inc denied the p1326 because my engine didn’t “seize” and the knocking wasn’t there. Which I find to be total bullshit for several reasons. 1. He was trying to push before hand going the certified pre owned warranty route because he claimed it’d be faster. 2. He said my car needed a new engine because it was burning oil, which I’ve told them for months and they didn’t hear knocking. I clearly heard the knocking when I was accelerating. 3. Kia hasn’t sent him the denial but my CPO should put in a re manufactured engine. Seems like my service adviser has 0 clue of what’s going on. Several questions. Do I get the lifetime warranty from kia still if the engine undoubtedly fails again? Is a remanufactured engine worth a ****? This whole thing is pissing me off.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
4,210 Posts
Just heard back from my service advisor and he claims kia inc denied the p1326 because my engine didn’t “seize” and the knocking wasn’t there. Which I find to be total bullshit for several reasons. 1. He was trying to push before hand going the certified pre owned warranty route because he claimed it’d be faster. 2. He said my car needed a new engine because it was burning oil, which I’ve told them for months and they didn’t hear knocking. I clearly heard the knocking when I was accelerating. 3. Kia hasn’t sent him the denial but my CPO should put in a re manufactured engine. Seems like my service adviser has 0 clue of what’s going on. Several questions. Do I get the lifetime warranty from kia still if the engine undoubtedly fails again? Is a remanufactured engine worth a ****? This whole thing is pissing me off.
Really an annoyance dealing with Kia, but just take the car back, drive it and see what happens. When the KSDS update has been done, lifetime warranty for all owners, and the replacement engine is the same crappy engine that's in the car now, so will it also fail, possibly, but at least it will still have a warranty.
Remember, all related work done concerning the P1326 is free of charge.

As time goes by, seems as though Kia/Hyuhdai owners are becoming more disenchanted with the company, and rightfully so.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A CPO vehicle comes with the 10/100, and you should have paperwork that specifies that, and even if not with the KSDS update done, it has the lifetime warranty. If, when they inspect the engine and ask for maintenance records, ask them why, and that you want to see the engine. They normally pull the valve cover and check if any sludge or buildup is evident, but if you did regular oil changes, there will no buildup, and you should be able to take a look.
If they want an oil change record, go to the person that did the oil changes and get a copy of the receipt, if you did the oil changes, just make a copy of the receipt for the oil and filter, I'm certain something could be made available for them to see.

It probably won't get to that level as they'll take a look and approve the engine replacements.
Turbonut, thanks for the reply. The kia dealership I'm dealing has always been top notch so hopefully they make it right. I'm no mechanic but I hope it's something they can fix without having to go through the hassle of replacing the engine. I guess if the wait is not that long then I'll be happy to have a new engine.

·
Registered
12 Posts
As long as they replace my engine (said I need it because it’s consuming oil and my CPO warranty will cover because I don’t neglect my car). I’ll be happy. Probably will drive it a couple more years on the warranty then look to move it. Never will buy a Kia again. Will look at Hondas and Toyotas

·
Registered
12 Posts
7-28 update on my situation. It’s a total cluster. Got a call from Kia saying my CPO (100,000 power train warranty, car has 81,000) wants to deny the claim because kia is denying it. Engine is burning way too much oil and ki service tech says it needs replaced. What’s the point of a power train warranty if you want to deny the claim? Have all my records ready. Does it take my engine seizing and possibly dying to have them fix something? I have to call them tomorrow. What a joke kia is and the CPO warranty company

·
Registered
12 Posts
Want to update everyone on my situation. My dealership tried going through the power train warranty and they won’t cover engine for excessive oil consumption (having both excessive oil consumption and p1326 code popped up). Kia INC denied the claim because the engine wasn’t seized or “knocking loud enough”. Are they waiting for the engine to seize on me and possibly kill me from getting in an accident before they’ll do anything? Spark plugs were replaced less than 2 months ago and already have oil deposits on them. Thinking about legal action against kia at this point and getting a hold of consumer affairs is a joke.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wow! That's a crock of sh$t. I would talk to the owner and see if he will go to bat for you. Is this the dealership where you bought your CPO car? If so, then they should go to war for you. I'm going to my dealership today to see what the news on my car is. They left me a message yesterday to call them but it was already late when I got the message so I will go there today. I'll let you know what I find out. Thanks for keeping us updated.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Wow! That's a crock of sh$t. I would talk to the owner and see if he will go to bat for you. Is this the dealership where you bought your CPO car? If so, then they should go to war for you. I'm going to my dealership today to see what the news on my car is. They left me a message yesterday to call them but it was already late when I got the message so I will go there today. I'll let you know what I find out. Thanks for keeping us updated.
Good luck. Dealership is trying my 3rd extended warranty (I purchased this when I got the car). They claim they like my chances but I’m not getting my hopes up with Kia Inc and powertrain warranty hosing me so far.

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,594 Posts
What is the specific reason they give for denying the coverage for excessive oil consumption?

I mean, I think they are confused about how your problem MUST be handled as engine failure, but it's not ripe yet because you need something more to happen to the engine.

But I still think they are just ignoring the excessive oil consumption. Shouldn't your extra warranty cover excessive oil consumption? Seems like they are using the p1326 code as a distraction, to try to shoe-horn your problem into the engine failure problem and seemingly allowing them to ignore any other problems with the engine. That seems unfair.

Do they have an explanation why they can just ignore the excess oil consumption? Do you have the specific language of the extra warranty that says that excessive oil consumption can be ignored? Why are they able to ignore the statement of the kia tech confirming it's way too much oil (by the way, is that statement written down?)?

·
Registered
12 Posts
What is the specific reason they give for denying the coverage for excessive oil consumption?

I mean, I think they are confused about how your problem MUST be handled as engine failure, but it's not ripe yet because you need something more to happen to the engine.

But I still think they are just ignoring the excessive oil consumption. Shouldn't your extra warranty cover excessive oil consumption? Seems like they are using the p1326 code as a distraction, to try to shoe-horn your problem into the engine failure problem and seemingly allowing them to ignore any other problems with the engine. That seems unfair.

Do they have an explanation why they can just ignore the excess oil consumption? Do you have the specific language of the extra warranty that says that excessive oil consumption can be ignored? Why are they able to ignore the statement of the kia tech confirming it's way too much oil (by the way, is that statement written down?)?
In total, power train warranty company is trying to claim they don’t cover oil consumption under my contract agreement. He sent me an example of a blank contract I have, which I have attached. The dealership is not going through kia Inc as they denied engine replacement because engine isn’t seized or knocking loud enough. I have yet to find anywhere in this contract that engine oil is not covered. Nor do I understand where kia Inc ever said that an engine has to be knocking at a certain level before they replace engines. Feel like powertrain warranty doesn’t want to pay and Kia’s trying to shoe their way out. Now hoping my extended warranty company picks it up.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts