Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My daughter bought a used 2019 Optima from a local Toyota dealer. They gave her two free oil changes and then the third they charged her 70.00. I told her on the fourth I would start taking care of her car for her. Very disappointed with Toyota. The bottom cover only had three bolts in it. It may not be Toyota's fault but they could have a least let her know this. After looking I saw they used the cheapest STP filter available and charged her 12.00 dollars. The drain plug was stripped and over-tightened to the point the plug was twisted. I had a very hard time getting it out and I thought the oil pan threads may be stripped. Finally, got the plug out and went to NAPA and bought a new one. Pan threads were OK!! Next, the oil filter must have been put on with an air-impact wrench (Like the drain plug). Since it was an STP filter my filter cup for a KIA filter would not work. Spent a half hour getting this burger off :( They also said on her paperwork that the air and cabin filters were inspected .... LOL The cabin filter had leafs from last fall in it. The air filter was filthy. Off to NAPA for filters. She also asked for full synthetic and got the blend. At least they didn't charge her for full synthetic.

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,268 Posts
Wow not only the head was torn up, look at those threads, they were crushed too from overtightening

·
Registered
2020 Kia Soul X-Line 2.0 MPI
116 Posts
My daughter has free 6K oil changes for vehicle life and I talked her out of using that free service. These shops use the cheapest labor for oil changes and can't be trusted to do it correctly and/or without causing damage.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
STP makes two types of filters. One is not really badly made. This POS they put on her car is nothing but JUNK. Putting down they inspected the filters was a big joke also
My daughter has free 6K oil changes for vehicle life and I talked her out of using that free service. These shops use the cheapest labor for oil changes and can't be trusted to do it correctly and/or without causing damage.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,524 Posts
I told her on the fourth I would start taking care of her car for her.
(y)Want it done right, got to do it yourself.

Good call.
Daughter purchased 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Hemi new, and also had free service. First oil change her husband marked the filter, called car done, and sure enough when he checked the filter it was never changed. Confronted service manager and they said after checking it was never changed, communication error.

Bunch of scumballs, just prey on the unknowing.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
212 Posts
STP makes two types of filters. One is not really badly made. This POS they put on her car is nothing but JUNK. Putting down they inspected the filters was a big joke also
Try to make sure you use an original oil filter in this vehicle with all the problems they have.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Lots of folks on the Sonata forums like the Wix XP filters for these theta engines.

My 2015 Sonata is noticeably quieter after an oil change with a Wix filter compared to the OEM ones.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I would use a WIX filter on anything. Very well made. I'm just sticking to KIA filters during the warranty period

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,524 Posts
Just thought I'd add that when the engine was replaced by Fred Beans Kia, this is what I found:
Car delivered with bird droppings on windshield, hood and fender
Grease on right fender
One of the studs for the engine cover missing
Turbo inlet not tight leaking boost
Front exhaust hanger not connected
Under covers missing pins, screws
Both lower ball joints didn't have any cotter pins, actually the old remnants were still in the holes
Front wheels were on so tight, needed a pipe on a breaker bar to break them loose
Oil all over the engine under covers.

Hard to believe this could happen at a dealership, or should I say stealership with bozo's that are nothing more than oil change jockeys working on cars.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Optima EX Prem
295 Posts
Is that Toyota dealer a Kia dealer too? If not, none of this surprises me. They can only use the filter off the shelf that’s non OE.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,524 Posts
Is that Toyota dealer a Kia dealer too? If not, none of this surprises me. They can only use the filter off the shelf that’s non OE.
If the question is directed towards me, it a dedicated Kia stealership. Beans has 20+ stealerships and the Toyota brand is sold out of Flemington, NJ while he has 2 Kia stealerships, one in Langhorne, PA, and one in Mechanicsburg, PA.

The Langhorne facilty is where the dimwits worked on the car.

I'm on a roll. Because of heavy steering on the highway, I asked them to also check to see if the steering mode could be changed on the '11 2.0T. When I picked up the car their reply was not able to change the mode, but the mechanic said he checked and it might need the outer tie rod ends replaced. My reply was really, I just changed to outer tie rod ends 2 months prior. That was a jaw dropper.

Just a bunch of crooks! Service manager a real dud!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes ... They own the KIA dealership across the street. Not sure why this KIA was for sale on their lot? My main beach is the drain plug and how tight the plug and filter were. Some of these 'so-called' mechanics need a 3/8 impact shoved up their [email protected]%

·
Registered
106 Posts
Just thought I'd add that when the engine was replaced by Fred Beans Kia, this is what I found:
Car delivered with bird droppings on windshield, hood and fender
Grease on right fender
One of the studs for the engine cover missing
Turbo inlet not tight leaking boost
Front exhaust hanger not connected
Under covers missing pins, screws
Both lower ball joints didn't have any cotter pins, actually the old remnants were still in the holes
Front wheels were on so tight, needed a pipe on a breaker bar to break them loose
Oil all over the engine under covers.

Hard to believe this could happen at a dealership, or should I say stealership with bozo's that are nothing more than oil change jockeys working on cars.
A dealership that charges $135 plus an hour, finding a good trust worthy dealership is nearly impossible.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima SXL
604 Posts
I'm on a roll. Because of heavy steering on the highway, I asked them to also check to see if the steering mode could be changed on the '11 2.0T. When I picked up the car their reply was not able to change the mode,
T, this from my '11 Sonata Ltd days and it would seem Kia would duplicate the Setting -- 2nd paragraph-- mentioned BY a Hyundai Mechanic Forum Member..

You may want to read thru the Thread BUT here's the essentials -- to try at your Dealer -- that applied to my '11 Sonata.....
[MDPS module can be set to 1 of 3 different levels of steering assist feel.. you already know what there are.. all they did was change the names of each setting. All this does is change steering assist feel.. does nothing for proper alignment.
To make the change, we plug in GDS,
ID the car,
select MDPS,
in Software Management select Option Treatment,
and finally "EPS RECOGNITION".. from the follow the prompt,
and it will display current setting,
and if you wish to change setting, select from the drop down box... everybody should know this from the 927/928 recall where they call out setting recognition to low. ]

Reactions: Grady Wilson

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,524 Posts
T, this from my '11 Sonata Ltd days and it would seem Kia would duplicate the Setting -- 2nd paragraph-- mentioned BY a Hyundai Mechanic Forum Member..

You may want to read thru the Thread BUT here's the essentials -- to try at your Dealer -- that applied to my '11 Sonata.....
[MDPS module can be set to 1 of 3 different levels of steering assist feel.. you already know what there are.. all they did was change the names of each setting. All this does is change steering assist feel.. does nothing for proper alignment.
To make the change, we plug in GDS,
ID the car,
select MDPS,
in Software Management select Option Treatment,
and finally "EPS RECOGNITION".. from the follow the prompt,
and it will display current setting,
and if you wish to change setting, select from the drop down box... everybody should know this from the 927/928 recall where they call out setting recognition to low. ]

Thanks for the reply, but from what I've learned, the early '11 EX Turbo doesn't have the ability to have the mode changed, at least to the 2 Kia dealers that tried. I even had the first one try to go through the manual steps, no good.
If it's there, nobody seems to know.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
I have a 19 sxl, 2.0 T. I have to ask a couple of questions, 1 what is this steering wheel situation yall are talking about and thoughts on mobil extended filters and oil ?? That's all I have ever used in my 16 Optima an now the 19. Just done the 2nd one, have 10,227 miles on her.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts