Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

New to the forum. Never knew this existed until today!
Bought my optima used from a kia dealer here in vegas. Paid $17k w/ 19k miles in Dec 2012. Could have waited 2 more weeks for it to be 2013 and I could have gotten a better deal, but I needed it asap for a convention I had to get to in LA in January 2013.
Kept the car stock until 2.18.21, added an injen intake that goes down and sits behind the driver fog light. Then did a muffler delete on 2.20.21 at Downtown Mufflers here in Vegas.
It did eat up oil, always had to check it every 2 weeks and add some every time. In 2019 the engine seized. I knew there was a recall, but Kia sent a letter to get the engine sound tested to see if my engine was one of the engines with issues. Kia did the test during one of my routine oil changes. I went to the dealer for every service needed from the moment I purchased the vehicle. They said my engine was not one of the ones with issues. Fast forward to the engine seizing, my father and I went at the engine to try to unsieze it. We had removed about 40% of the engine and had no luck getting it to turn. Then we emptied the oil, and I saw metal shavings in the oil. Immediately sent an email to the service manager. I explained that I had just finished paying it off in November and the engine blew in December. I explained that all services had been done with them. He ended up calling me and explained how it was all going to work. He told me the engine had to be shipped to them and it was going to be a month. They provided a rental free of charge and took 2 months to get me the car back including shipping time of engine. An issue I did run into with the dealer was being charged $250 for them to put back together the engine we took apart, (towed car and parts to dealer). I argued but ended up paying. I wanted my car back. Also, the engine oil that I had removed that had the metal shavings in it; I had taken it in an empty oil absorber container with lid. At some point, they put the container in the trunk. Upon movement of the vehicle the container flipped over, oil leaked out of the container lid slowly and it fell on the trunk liner and dripped down to the rear passenger seats and down to the floors. When I was given the car, it smelled like oil. It wasn’t until I got home that I found the oil in the trunk. Told Kia, I took it in, they cleaned it up but smell never went away. Told them about it and a service tech ended up giving me a 2017 trunk liner, didnt fit but better then before. Found out it got soaked into the rear seats foam. Went to a pick-a-part and found a back seat, but it was for a 2014 I think, so it didn’t fit but kept it there. That was it though.
Since getting the new engine, I still check every 2 weeks how the oil is doing. Didn’t need to add any oil until about a month and a half after oil change. So it was going much better.
I started lookin for a rwd car to turn into a drift project, but I am still searching. Eager and impatient I muffler deleted and installed a cold air intake. Kept the stock tips to keep it looking stock. Car has the oem 16” rims with pirelli cinturato tires.
I started lookin for a rwd car to turn into a drift project, but I am still searching. Eager and impatient I muffler deleted and installed a cold air intake. Kept the stock tips to keep it looking stock. Car has the oem 16” rims with pirelli cinturato tires.
The muffler delete made the car sound mid-high so I am installing a cherry bomb glass pack to it to make the sound mid-low. I watched whatever youtube videos I could find and that is how I decided what I wanted the car to sound like. Low and aggressive with a rumble. I get the car is all bark and no bite since its my base model daily driver, but the new sound puts a smile on my face. Did my first tunnel the other night too!

if anyone has any questions, let me know and I will help however I can. I see a lot of people getting denied engine replacements, so I wanted to let yall know about my optima’s story. Feel free to follow me on IG @wavetwisters_lv. Still debating if I am going to make a page/channel for the optima and drift whip.

-Hector

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This last oil change was the first one I did not do at the dealer. I went to @kaijumotorsports in Henderson. They changed me over to 5W30 instead of 5W20 and said that it would help the engine since they are known to eat up oil and this one is a bit thicker.

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,028 Posts
What kind of engine do you have?

The 2.0 Turbo engine does not take 5W20.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts