Kia Optima Forums banner

541 - 560 of 570 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 6
108 Posts
There's a zillion Optimas on the road (I counted) and it's a cheap way to differentiate your ride.

LOL Oh come on, it's not like we're driving a Corolla, Camry, Accord, or Civic out of the quadra-f**k-tillion of other Corollas, Camries, Accords, or Civics out there. I've only seen Horizon Blue Optima's like mine 3 times. I get what you are saying though.

·
Premium Member
2012 Kia Optima SX-T
1,463 Posts
Thanks to K5OptimaStore, I finally re-badged (Front/Rear only) my '12 SX with the Chrome Carbon Fiber style 3.0 K badges. My OEM front badge had started to peel and rather than put OEM badges back on, I went with these. Because these are the official Korean logo used in Korea, I feel it's still "in the family". I'm rather proud of my car and proud of Kia for making it so I resisted changing it to any other badge (personal choice) because I still wanted to be a kind of "brand ambassador" to the masses and how they ought to think about this brand.

Anyway, I found the best way to get the badges off was to use a common hair dryer on high heat moving it from side-to-side until it is nice and hot. Then I used an old plastic credit card to get under the edges and a plastic trim popper tool to help wedge it off. Used Goo-Gone to clean up the old adhesive, 90% alcohol to clean up the painted metal area, dried it with the hair dryer on warm and attached the badges with lots of pressure working from the center outwards. That technique worked great for me. YMMV.

IMG_20180428_104841.jpg IMG_20180428_104759.jpg

Reactions: OutlawPiper

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
2020 Audi R8 V10+ & Tesla Model X P100D
28,994 Posts
Thanks to K5OptimaStore, I finally re-badged (Front/Rear only) my '12 SX with the Chrome Carbon Fiber style 3.0 K badges. My OEM front badge had started to peel and rather than put OEM badges back on, I went with these. Because these are the official Korean logo used in Korea, I feel it's still "in the family". I'm rather proud of my car and proud of Kia for making it so I resisted changing it to any other badge (personal choice) because I still wanted to be a kind of "brand ambassador" to the masses and how they ought to think about this brand.

Anyway, I found the best way to get the badges off was to use a common hair dryer on high heat moving it from side-to-side until it is nice and hot. Then I used an old plastic credit card to get under the edges and a plastic trim popper tool to help wedge it off. Used Goo-Gone to clean up the old adhesive, 90% alcohol to clean up the painted metal area, dried it with the hair dryer on warm and attached the badges with lots of pressure working from the center outwards. That technique worked great for me. YMMV.

View attachment 233690 View attachment 233698
Thank you for your business with us!!! :cool:

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
39 Posts
I wish there were options for something other than a K emblem. How about just blank ones with the color of your car or carbon fiber or just something different. I think there is a market for it. I haven’t changed mine because I don’t want it to be like everyone else’s. But here I am, stuck with the Kia hood and trunk emblems just like everyone else that doesn’t have the K emblems.

---------- Post added at 11:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:24 AM ----------

Btw, does anyone know if there are holes under the emblems after removing them. If not I’ll just keep them blank without emblems. I debadge every car I get anyway so if there’s no holes that’s great! I did leave the S on the back. I did like that one. ��

·
Registered
2015 KIA Optima
850 Posts
I wish there were options for something other than a K emblem. How about just blank ones with the color of your car or carbon fiber or just something different. I think there is a market for it. I haven’t changed mine because I don’t want it to be like everyone else’s. But here I am, stuck with the Kia hood and trunk emblems just like everyone else that doesn’t have the K emblems.

---------- Post added at 11:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:24 AM ----------

Btw, does anyone know if there are holes under the emblems after removing them. If not I’ll just keep them blank without emblems. I debadge every car I get anyway so if there’s no holes that’s great! I did leave the S on the back. I did like that one. ��
Yes, holes on both front & back badges.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
3 Posts
Hey all,

I'm going to be purchasing new badges for front/rear/steering wheel (courtesy of K5 Optima Store) but I am really worried about the actual installment. I drive a 2015 Optima LX (base trim). Is there anyone here with the same year and trim who has successfully replaced their badges? I have read the instructions provided by the vendor as well as several DIY videos. It seems simple enough. I do not own a heat gun (I could go to a nearby auto shop) and am hoping to accomplish it with just dental floss (as generally advertised). Has anyone had any significant trouble? Should I just go to a professional?

Thanks-

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
28,994 Posts
Hey all,

I'm going to be purchasing new badges for front/rear/steering wheel (courtesy of K5 Optima Store) but I am really worried about the actual installment. I drive a 2015 Optima LX (base trim). Is there anyone here with the same year and trim who has successfully replaced their badges? I have read the instructions provided by the vendor as well as several DIY videos. It seems simple enough. I do not own a heat gun (I could go to a nearby auto shop) and am hoping to accomplish it with just dental floss (as generally advertised). Has anyone had any significant trouble? Should I just go to a professional?

Thanks-
The forums are pretty dead these days, so chances are. you most likely would not get a response back on this.

The installation is pretty simple and straightforward, as long as you follow the detailed installation instructions on our site.

However, you may want to consult with a body shop or professional installer for assistance if you don't feel comfortable doing it on your own.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
279 Posts
I used dental floss, credit card and Goo Gone. I scratched the paint a lil bit butunder where the new rear trunk badge went anyway. although if you have a garage just use a hair dryer.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Optima Hybrid
83 Posts
I used goo-gone, an expired bus card(thinner and softer than a credit card), some dental floss and a set of pry-tools. The glue of the original emblems were so freaking tight and goo-gone does not help much. I ended up using the bus card to "cut through" all glue. Then I used goo-gone again to remove the rest of the mess.

For steering wheel one, I haven't installed yet.

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
28,994 Posts
Welcome to the Optima Forums.

Thank you for sharing this image with us here.

If you wouldn't mind, could you also post this in our forum thread as well? :)

Thanks,

-David

·
Registered
6 Posts
I need some opinions. I recently got my 2018 Plugin Hybrid, and I'd like to re-badge it - not because I'm ashamed of driving a Kia, but because I like being different. I guess I'm already a little different in that I have yet to see another Optima Plugin Hybrid on the road. In any case, I'm not ready to take the step of de-badging my car with dental floss and Goo Gone, so I'm looking at the Loden Metal Skin overlays. I really like both the Vintage K and the Carbon K versions. I can't decide between the two, which has kept me from ordering anything yet.

I'm interested in others' opinions regarding the two and why you would go with one over the other.

Thanks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I need some opinions. I recently got my 2018 Plugin Hybrid, and I'd like to re-badge it - not because I'm ashamed of driving a Kia, but because I like being different. I guess I'm already a little different in that I have yet to see another Optima Plugin Hybrid on the road. In any case, I'm not ready to take the step of de-badging my car with dental floss and Goo Gone, so I'm looking at the Loden Metal Skin overlays. I really like both the Vintage K and the Carbon K versions. I can't decide between the two, which has kept me from ordering anything yet.

I'm interested in others' opinions regarding the two and why you would go with one over the other.

Thanks!
I'm bummed out that I didn't receive any replies. I guess the forum's not as popular as I hoped. I ended up going with the Carbon K 7 piece set. I'll post some pictures after I install them.

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
1,036 Posts
Could be the lack of response is due to the large majority of folks preferring to go with the badges rather than overlays. You didn't open up as to exactly why you're not ready to do the steps involved in debadging but I can see why some folks would be intimidated in doing that--however, debadging is not as scary and/or difficult as it sounds and looks. Applying high heat to the badge using a blow dryer to soften the adhesive can help make badge removal a bit easier.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Could be the lack of response is due to the large majority of folks preferring to go with the badges rather than overlays. You didn't open up as to exactly why you're not ready to do the steps involved in debadging but I can see why some folks would be intimidated in doing that--however, debadging is not as scary and/or difficult as it sounds and looks. Applying high heat to the badge using a blow dryer to soften the adhesive can help make badge removal a bit easier.
Thanks for the reply. Possibly. Maybe the fact that I'm not sure which I like has something to do with it. Ironically, debadging and rebadging would serve to add more possibilities, thus making the choice harder. ? I don't have a lot of free time, so being able to make this mod quickly is also a factor. I also figured that I could make sure I liked the look before tearing off the factory emblems.

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
28,994 Posts
541 - 560 of 570 Posts