Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Had a 2005 Mazda3 which happened to have a spoiler. Grabbing the spoiler to lift the trunk lid was easy enough to do, but I didn't like doing it because it felt odd to use a spoiler to lift that weight. For cars without a spoiler, there was nothing to grab on to to easily lift the trunk. Mazda eventually smartened up and I believe on 2006+ models they carved out a little space at the top of the bumper so you could grab a hold and lift from there.

There are just a couple of things that I wish were little different in my Optima. First, the controls for the heated seats seem to be visibly blocked by the position of the shifter. From where I sit I need to actually move around to see which buttons are where.

Second, when I rest my hand on the door can easily control the side mirror adjustment buttons, but for the window switches I need to either pull my hand far back or bend my wrist a lot in order to get to them.

And yes, these are SERIOUS 1st World problems, I definitely understand that. This is by no means a complaint.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
1,857 Posts
Sounds like complaints to me.
I don't want to start a list of the complaints I have as I've stated them before and there are many more than what you listed.

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
661 Posts
Regarding the visibility of the heated seat controls--guess it must be a personal thing, as from my personal vantage point they are not visibly blocked by the position of the shifter. Having said that, I will say that unless one has excellent muscle memory it does take some feeling around to get your finger on the heated seat button without looking down, especially given that there are a cluster of buttons right below the shifter that you have to keep track of (depending on equipment)--heated steering wheel, drive mode, two heated/cooling seat buttons, surround view camera, electronic parking brake, auto hold.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
1,857 Posts
Regarding the visibility of the heated seat controls--guess it must be a personal thing, as from my personal vantage point they are not visibly blocked by the position of the shifter.
On the earlier models the heated/cooling seat switches are on the right side of the console to the right of the shift lever and when in gear it blocks the view. On the '18, the switches are at the back of the console alongside the cup holders and no obstructions. Believe the change took place with the 2016 model year.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
The one thing that irks me is the steering instability present from day one. I've done all the recommended things suggested here but still no joy. Requires too much attention to go straight down the highway...

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
142 Posts
How low the passenger seat sits, it's so aggravating. They could've given us a height adjustment.

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
661 Posts
On the earlier models the heated/cooling seat switches are on the right side of the console to the right of the shift lever and when in gear it blocks the view. On the '18, the switches are at the back of the console alongside the cup holders and no obstructions. Believe the change took place with the 2016 model year.
LOL yeah I should have prefaced my previous reply by stating that my vehicle was a 2018, thus it could be (and now that you've explained it, is) possible that the layout could be such that the gear shifter does obstruct the view.

·
Registered
2011 KIA Optima
38 Posts
when I rest my hand on the door can easily control the side mirror adjustment buttons, but for the window switches I need to either pull my hand far back or bend my wrist a lot in order to get to them.
I totally agree with you about the window controls. I notice this every single time I go to open my windows. In comparison to my Toyotas, I find that the window buttons are placed better.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
2 Posts
Yes! The heated seat buttons on my 2015 EX are definitely blocked by the shifter, but I have a couple of others:

1) If you are on hands-free Bluetooth and you turn off the car, it does continue to allow talking until you end the call. Instead it just shuts off after the standard delay as the radio does.
2) There is not an "always on" outlet for 12V power in the car
3) The USB will not charge your phone. It may maintain but too low of power to actually charge the phone. Really not much reason to connect the phone to that unless you want to transfer vehicle diagnostics, or if I install updated maps software with Apple Car Play (have not shelled out the $145 for this yet) the USB is needed so I would start using it (and maybe be more frustrated because it won't charge the phone).
4) Other than these, everything else is great :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts