Kia Optima Forums banner
81 - 100 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Kia Optima
7 Posts
Saw this on a facebook post.

Looks cool, just wondering if this is only compatible with the EX trim with auto AC??
I have an LX with the manual AC, and I currently have a android aftermarket player.
This one is looks interesting and I'm considering upgrading to this....

View attachment 228825 View attachment 228833 View attachment 228841

Link: https://phoenixandroidradios.com/co...navigation-radio-for-kia-optima-k5-2011-20157
I have one for sale if you are interested, I bought it for my wife's car but she is not techy savvy and wanted her old radio back. Check this link out 12.9" Kia Optima Tesla Style Radio

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well, the radio came and it looks great! However, after tearing the dash apart getting the old HU and environmental panel out to put it in, I had NO idea how to transfer the vents to the new radio. It honestly doesn't look possible, almost like they sent me the wrong model for a different year Optima. Here are a couple pics of the current trim with the Phoenix radio. I sent in a message so hopefully I'll hear back soon.

View attachment 230001 View attachment 230009 View attachment 230017
Dave they dont have any for our models. But you can go to a scrap yard find one that still has the dash in and take the driver side amd put it yours so the radio will fit. I know you thinking the screws wont go but you just have to put a peace of small rubbing on the inside frame drill the holes u need and bam you upgraded your dash.

·
Registered
123 Posts
**** I think there’s just too much unknown and hassle associated with these units...and a lot of them probably have subpar internals makes me nervous about subpar SQ. I think I’m going to just save up and pay double for one of those new Pioneer 9” or 10.1” android head units that fit in a single din...or possibly just the newest 6” one for like around the same price as the Tesla style units...that way I know the SQ will be very good...might not look quite as stock and seamless, but I’d rather go for SQ or aesthetics if it comes down to it.

·
Registered
39 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
565 Posts
**** I think there’s just too much unknown and hassle associated with these units...and a lot of them probably have subpar internals makes me nervous about subpar SQ. I think I’m going to just save up and pay double for one of those new Pioneer 9” or 10.1” android head units that fit in a single din...or possibly just the newest 6” one for like around the same price as the Tesla style units...that way I know the SQ will be very good...might not look quite as stock and seamless, but I’d rather go for SQ or aesthetics if it comes down to it.
I have one, and it's pretty good! It's not perfect, there are a few things I would hope are addressed soon, but they're software-based, and so could be addressed by a patch or upgrade.

It works well, and supports external cameras, so it's all right in my book.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have one, and it's pretty good! It's not perfect, there are a few things I would hope are addressed soon, but they're software-based, and so could be addressed by a patch or upgrade.

Hey I have ordered this , and I should receive it soon, any tips on how to make everything nice and functional ?

Thanks

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
565 Posts
Hey I have ordered this , and I should receive it soon, any tips on how to make everything nice and functional ?

Thanks
#1 (This is Important) DO NOT CUT ANY WIRES! I cannot stress this enough, this unit is plug-and-play, so there should not be any wires that need cutting.

#2 You (may) need to splice the reverse camera ground wire into the stock side wiring, to get the unit to recognize the camera is disengaged. (There's a post on the forum that explains what all the stock plug wires do) If you have a stock reverse camera, this step may not be necessary. I have an LX model, so I had to do a few workarounds. Alternatively, the whole camera system may not work at all, so in that case, just upgrade to a decent aftermarket unit. (I added a nose camera, and a receiver for a wireless camera)

#3 The entire airbag indicator module can be detached from the stock bezel, and just tucked away. (DO NOT UNPLUG IT).

#4 The stock USB and AUX module (may) not be useable anymore. That's fine, just use the AUX input from the unit itself, and run a cable. The USB connectors to the unit are also far better than stock, I just ran them into my glovebox.

#5 You may have to tinker in the extra setup menu, the passcode is "8861"

Good Luck!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I installed it and it looks very nice, I have 3 questions though, I set up my SWC and everything works fine, except for the pickup button, when it's on low z , and when it's on high z the hang up button doesnt work and I cant map them,

Second thing is the door open notice image only shows for the driver door, it works fine in the cluster but on the screen it only works for the driver door.

3rd : Im not really sure how to set up the backup camera, I read that I cannot retain the stock one, so I purchased an aftermarket but i need power, and I don't know where I can get it from in the back.

Other than that everything is working properly.

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just installed mine and aside from some tweaks such as having to install the backup camera it's actually very good, somehow my sound is much louder and the bass is more stable.

·
Registered
3 Posts

Good Afternoon,
I'm thinking about purchasing either this or the Kenwood DMX9707S in the next couple of weeks. How has this unit been holding up for you? Thank You.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
565 Posts
Good Afternoon,
I'm thinking about purchasing either this or the Kenwood DMX9707S in the next couple of weeks. How has this unit been holding up for you? Thank You.
It's been holding up quite well. It's also been pretty forgiving of the modifications I've made to it, and it integrated well with the vehicle. Just be sure to use the microphone, USB, and audio inputs on the device itself, as these are of better quality than the ones that are in the vehicle.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Good Afternoon,
I just put that exact model and mmy 13 kia optima loved it so much it's my second one. I have the same one in my 14 charger rt so far runs pretty nice and I love the wireless carplay

·
Registered
3 Posts
It's been holding up quite well. It's also been pretty forgiving of the modifications I've made to it, and it integrated well with the vehicle. Just be sure to use the microphone, USB, and audio inputs on the device itself, as these are of better quality than the ones that are in the vehicle.
Thank You very much for the Input, Still on the fence but I'll have made my decision right after the New year

·
Registered
8 Posts
I haven't gone back yet. Thought about just trying to figure it out myself
Just haven't made time.
I knew the factory camera wouldn't work. I have an aftermarket camera.
Probably go back to the shop and have them install that.
I've not had airbag lights or any other warning lights come one.
Stock cam is possible to use. Just have to connect the brown “Back” wire to PIN 9 of connector A on either the factory harness connector A or the black connector that accepts both factory connectors A & B. The purple wire with Chinese wiring needs to be connected to PIN 11 (video power) on connector A as well. I have a 2013 Optima SXL, and it worked perfectly. For factory microphone, use PIN 10 (+) and PIN 22 (-) on connector A. I tried to keep all splices and piggybacks on the harness for the radio as opposed to damaging the car factory wiring. The only thing I’m struggling with is getting full functionality out of steering wheel controls. I currently only have volume, track, and mode. The Answer button mutes my sound. I also am not able to program/learn the buttons within the menu feature.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I installed it and it looks very nice, I have 3 questions though, I set up my SWC and everything works fine, except for the pickup button, when it's on low z , and when it's on high z the hang up button doesnt work and I cant map them,

Second thing is the door open notice image only shows for the driver door, it works fine in the cluster but on the screen it only works for the driver door.

3rd : Im not really sure how to set up the backup camera, I read that I cannot retain the stock one, so I purchased an aftermarket but i need power, and I don't know where I can get it from in the back.

Other than that everything is working properly.

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help
Stock cam is possible to use. Just have to connect the brown “Back” wire to PIN 9 of connector A on either the factory harness connector A or the black connector that accepts both factory connectors A & B. The purple wire with Chinese wiring needs to be connected to PIN 11 (video power) on connector A as well. I have a 2013 Optima SXL, and it worked perfectly. For factory microphone, use PIN 10 (+) and PIN 22 (-) on connector A. I tried to keep all splices and piggybacks on the harness for the radio as opposed to damaging the car factory wiring. The only thing I’m struggling with is getting full functionality out of steering wheel controls. I currently only have volume, track, and mode. The Answer button mutes my sound. I also am not able to program/learn the buttons within the menu feature.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey everyone, have you had any issues with battery drain ? It seems to happen to me at least once a week now. It's quite annoying. I may have plugged something wrong though. Any thoughts ?

Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just installed mine and aside from some tweaks such as having to install the backup camera it's actually very good, somehow my sound is much louder and the bass is more stable.
hey did you have any issues with your sound, i cant figure it out either i get no sound with the harness or low front only sound using the rca cables like the seller suggested

·
Registered
8 Posts
Mujhe is working fine in my 2013 SXL. LOVE it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 09:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:27 AM ----------

So I did a thing yesterday.

2013 SXL

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Have your AUTO A/C controls worked properly? My heat doesn't work properly in the cold season. It doesn't actually warm my car up much unless I switch to manual mode. What are your vehicle type and protocol settings?

81 - 100 of 100 Posts