Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought this 2020 optima fe used certified. Has 21k miles on it. Just noticed my temp increasing to about one tick over half, would go down then go back up in different situations. I already know how to fix these type of problems. But I just want to know if this has been a common issue with this car and so early in its life? Cause that doesn’t seem right that I would be having cooling issues already.

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,184 Posts
Being used, you never know what the previous owner might have done. Being certified is no guarantee that something was forgotten or missed.

But how fast are the temp changes happening? Do you literally see the change happening it's that fast?

If so, I would guess maybe there is air in the system. Or maybe the thermostat is on its last legs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I see the changes in the temp gauge, it’ll be at normal temp. Then it starts climbing stay at a hash mark after halfway. It’ll stay there for a minute then start going down. Climb up again, go back down to normal operating temp. It’s not fast, it’s more of a gradual temp changes. For the most part also for like the first 20 mins of driving it stays at normal temps. I guess I can burp it and see if there’s air in the system. It would be very surprising to me if it was the thermostat for being still practically new, but then again I’ve never owned a Kia before.

·
Registered
2018 KIA Optima
170 Posts
If you've got an obd2 reader/scanner tool. You can use it to check the temp. Might be a tad more reliable then the "tick above" gauge method. I'm not sure how much actual temperature variation per line.

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
1,147 Posts
Granted that OP's car is a 2020 but FWIW in all the years since I've owned my 2018 SXL I've yet seen the temp gauge on my vehicle fluctuate anywhere near what OP described; once my car gets up to normal operating temperature the needle pretty much stays at one needle tick below halfway. I don't stare at my temp gauge constantly of course but TBH I've never seen it go past that mark at all on my vehicle--and I've driven it plenty of times in both stop-and-go and high-speed driving.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,386 Posts
Granted that OP's car is a 2020 but FWIW in all the years since I've owned my 2018 SXL I've yet seen the temp gauge on my vehicle fluctuate anywhere near what OP described; once my car gets up to normal operating temperature the needle pretty much stays at one needle tick below halfway. I don't stare at my temp gauge constantly of course but TBH I've never seen it go past that mark at all on my vehicle--and I've driven it plenty of times in both stop-and-go and high-speed driving.
Got to agree that w/o watching the gauge continuously have never seen the fluctuation, but have seen others, not Kia's, where the temp gauge
would fluctuate slightly to reflect the rise and fall of the coolant temp.

Best answer is to check real time to see if gauge reflects actual coolant temp fluctuation.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts