Kia Optima Forums banner
41 - 58 of 58 Posts
There are a few threads on this. As long as you tap into the turn signals prior to where you tapped into the harness for the bumper reflectors, you will get your desired flashing on bumper lights. If you do it after the splice for the bumper reflectors, then the reflectors will just work with the breaks and normal driving (no flicker when signaling).

Ive installed a few sets of these and have done them both ways. You also can have both flash and not have the trunk light flash with the turn signal as well. So the outer rear lamp and the bumper reflector only will flash with the turn. I did this on another members car and want to switch mine to the same way so it's not so "hey look at me turn". Lol. I am the one who posted the video of this mod when it first came out.
Does anyone know how to do this above? I would like only my outer tail lamps to serve as my signal/running/brake lights along with my bumper reflector LEDs. The inner lamps on the trunk would just be brake/running.

I ordered the diode dynamics module but I have yet to try it out.

Thanks!

---------- Post added at 01:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:47 AM ----------

Since I'm so new, I can't paste a link yet - so here is the name the forum thread I am talking about - page 3.

"Led turn signal led bumper reflectors working together"

---------- Post added at 01:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:50 AM ----------

I am referring to having only the outer led tail lights and bumper reflectors function as signal/brake/running and the inner tail lights on the trunk function as brake/running.

WooHoo! 5th post! I can post links!

Latest post....

I installed everything with the diode dynamics module. Everything works great - except for when I press the brakes, my turn signals hyper flash. Everything else works fine.

I have a video but it won't load up.

Any idea how to solve this?

---------- Post added at 10:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:49 PM ----------

Can you expand on when the hyper flash occurs? Is it when the running lights are on and you apply the turn signal, or when you brake and apply the turn signal? Or both?
My turn signals only hyper flash when I apply the brake lights.

ANy idea how to fix this?

Latest post....

I installed everything with the diode dynamics module. Everything works great - except for when I press the brakes, my turn signals hyper flash. Everything else works fine.

I have a video but it won't load up.

Any idea how to solve this?

---------- Post added at 10:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:49 PM ----------

My turn signals only hyper flash when I apply the brake lights.

ANy idea how to fix this?
Glad you got it working. Here is what RxDriver did to fix his issue, sound like the same issue your having.

Alright. Finally had time to fiddle with this today. This little module is confirmed and it will work with the OEM LED tails. I basically followed the guide of the ExLED Turn signal module install. Instead on this install, all you cut/splice is the brake and turn signal into the input side of the module and then the single wire on the output side will splice into the brake light (inner and outer). I used a 6ohm load resistor and tapped into the turn signal wire with the input wire of the module, then ground it to a taillight bolt on the body.

I would say most people could figure this out in about an hour if you have played with the connectors and lights back there. The hardest part is getting clean connections and wiring that is clean. Let me know if you have questions. For $20, its a pretty quick and easy mod and the company is a great bunch of guys (from Stl :thumbsup:).

Any other thoughts?

I can try this again but I wasn't having success.
Definitely need a load resistor. The tail as turn module uses the turn signal power when not braking (hence no hyperflash as your stock lights draw enough power to not hyperflash). When braking, the turn signal only interrupts the brake light, causing no load on the turn signal circuit and the hyperflash. You'll also notice when braking, the turn signal flashes opposite the front turn signal.

Bottom line is you need a load resistor on the turn signal circuit.

---------- Post added at 12:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:34 PM ----------

Another point- make sure you wire the resistor ahead of the module, ie the resistor gets power from the stock turn signal line and not from the module.

Definitely need a load resistor. The tail as turn module uses the turn signal power when not braking (hence no hyperflash as your stock lights draw enough power to not hyperflash). When braking, the turn signal only interrupts the brake light, causing no load on the turn signal circuit and the hyperflash. You'll also notice when braking, the turn signal flashes opposite the front turn signal.

Bottom line is you need a load resistor on the turn signal circuit.

---------- Post added at 12:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:34 PM ----------

Another point- make sure you wire the resistor ahead of the module, ie the resistor gets power from the stock turn signal line and not from the module.
Thank you very much for everyone's help!

I have resistors in there already, which is why I am perplexed about the hyper flash only when braking. My installer is working on this for me and he indicated that it was something to do with the grounding and/or resistor location. I am using VLEDS 6ohm resistors. It's good to know that he seems to be on the right track.

The info provided here really gives me better clarity on the issue. I have relayed him the wiring diagram and the resistor placement discussion also.

I Am hoping this might be the final piece! Please let me know of any other thoughts!

I'll check back in soon!

---------- Post added 04-28-2016 at 01:03 AM ---------- Previous post was 04-27-2016 at 02:44 PM ----------

So on my car when the taillights are on and I go to use the blinker it does what is shown in the video but then after blinker is turned off the entire taillight will go off for a second and then light will come back on. Sorry it's early hope that makes sense. I have the exled turn signal mod wired on my 13 sxl.
Ok, rechecked all the connections and cleaned everything up, and all works as normal. No hyper flash in new front LED signals or on rear tail and bumper lights. Brakes on, no hyper flash either.

However, I noticed that my signals do something similar to what ace described. Not the entire light will jump, but just the signal - when I press and release the brakes with the turn signal on. Additionally, my front DS Orange marker lamp flickers at times - not always - with the signal on and off.

I am guessing the flicker with the brake lights has to do with the relay through all the components?

Overall, I am pretty happy with it. Not too concerned with the additional Issues, but I thought I would mention it if anyone has experienced it as well. I am just happy to have it working now.

Thanks again for all the help.

However, I noticed that my signal do something similar to what ace described. Not the entire light will jump, but just the signal - when I press and release the brakes with the turn signal on. Additionally, my front DS Orange marker lamp flickers at times - not always - with the signal on and off
Mind posting a video. Sound interesting.

Not the entire light will jump, but just the signal - when I press and release the brakes with the turn signal on. Additionally, my front DS Orange marker lamp flickers at times - not always - with the signal on and off.

I am guessing the flicker with the brake lights has to do with the relay through all the components?

Overall, I am pretty happy with it. Not too concerned with the additional Issues, but I thought I would mention it if anyone has experienced it as well. I am just happy to have it working now.

Thanks again for all the help.
Glad you got it working! The front flicker may be a loose connection with the load resistors. Worth a check.

The behavior you describe in the rear is normal for the diode dynamics module. What you are seeing is the module switching the way it does the turn signal when the brakes are pressed and not pressed. You'll notice that the rear signal will flash opposite the front turn signal when the brakes are pressed, and flash in time with the front when not pressed.

Sounds like the exLED module works differently, more like a switchback module.

Glad you got it working! The front flicker may be a loose connection with the load resistors. Worth a check.

The behavior you describe in the rear is normal for the diode dynamics module. What you are seeing is the module switching the way it does the turn signal when the brakes are pressed and not pressed. You'll notice that the rear signal will flash opposite the front turn signal when the brakes are pressed, and flash in time with the front when not pressed.

Sounds like the exLED module works differently, more like a switchback module.
Yea I thought I notice that myself.

davidbeckett.db

·
Registered
Joined a moment ago
·
0 Posts
#2 a moment ago
•••
Hi Everyone, I know this forum is for optimal but I have a 2016 kia Sportage I just ordered diode dynamics tail as turn. I am uber driver my goal and plan is to get turn signals off rear bumper and up into light that houses the brake light. People behind me don't see my turn signals when changing lanes and turning..plus if vehicles get to close they cover area where I am blinking and don't see them. If it's a truck behind me they don't see at all.i have had close calls not being able to turn in time people almost in my back end. I don't know why kia would these turn signals so low and not in the beautiful tail and brake lights above its dangerous and puts me at risk driving. My question is does anyone know what color turn signals in rear are and brake light wires to..which wires would I use with tail as turn I have to run a long wire up from each side of turn signals and then work with brake light wire on each side..i also ordered two hyperflash resistors..can anyone help me out I will getting it any day now. And want to do the project I do have electronics experience but don't know what turn and brake wires I use to install to the tail as turn modules on each side..i appreciate any help anyone can offer Thanks so much !

41 - 58 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.