Kia Optima Forums banner

Tailight as Turn Signal Mod

14K views 57 replies 11 participants last post by  davidbeckett.db 
#1 · (Edited)
Reactions: atulo
#2 ·
Can't say I've seen anyone use this before on their Optima, but it does show it as being compatible though.

I imagine that these are just relays which would also require the load resistors to be ordered as well to prevent the hyperflashing.

The exLED version of this which we sell as the "LED Turn Signal Mod", is a digital turn park control module which does not use conventional relays and does not require the use of load resistors.

If you do end up getting this, please post back in this thread letting us know how it worked out as this is a much cheaper option in terms of cost.

#3 · (Edited)
For the most part this mod works. The only thing I cannot solve is hyper flash when the lights are in the on position. When they are not, there is no hyper flash. I installed a 6ohm resistor on the turn signal input and ground on both sides. Any ideas or things to trouble shoot would be appreciated...

This post has been deleted
#5 ·
The hyper flash occurs only when the running lights are on. When they are off, the turn signals blink normally.

#8 ·
Sorry guys. This module switches OEM Rear LED brake lights into turn signals too. Well, it seems the problem has now completely just gone to hyperflashing in general which leads me to believe my resistor tap-ins are crap. I'm going to wait to modify it because I have switchbacks coming in with a 3ohm resistor I will place in the circuit instead to hit both front and back led changes. I will update once that is installed.

#9 · (Edited)
Alright. Finally had time to fiddle with this today. This little module is confirmed and it will work with the OEM LED tails. I basically followed the guide of the ExLED Turn signal module install. Instead on this install, all you cut/splice is the brake and turn signal into the input side of the module and then the single wire on the output side will splice into the brake light (inner and outer). I used a 6ohm load resistor and tapped into the turn signal wire with the input wire of the module, then ground it to a taillight bolt on the body.

I would say most people could figure this out in about an hour if you have played with the connectors and lights back there. The hardest part is getting clean connections and wiring that is clean. Let me know if you have questions. For $20, its a pretty quick and easy mod and the company is a great bunch of guys (from Stl :thumbsup:).

#11 ·
Yeah. I will post it up tomorrow! I'll try to post up a DIY too.

Reactions: jery911
#13 ·
#15 ·
Thanks. Yeah, it really classes up the car while adding a bit more safety. Especially if you black out those lights :cool:....

#19 · (Edited)
I have a really rough wiring diagram of how I came up with wiring it. Let me take some pics this weekend and try to make it easy for everyone. The hardest part was getting a good ground for the 6ohm resistor.

#22 ·
Interesting. I thought it was a little different from the exLED mod.

#23 · (Edited)
My crude wiring diagram. I will add the quad reverse light wiring at the bottom once I get my car back and can take a look.

Colors for turn signal (driver side) = Blue/orange
Colors for turn signal (passenger side)= Red/orange

This is off a 2012 SX. I don't know if the colors are the same across the newer model years.
Text Diagram Line Parallel

Reactions: atulo and jery911
#38 ·
My crude wiring diagram. I will add the quad reverse light wiring at the bottom once I get my car back and can take a look.

Colors for turn signal (driver side) = Blue/orange
Colors for turn signal (passenger side)= Red/orange

This is off a 2012 SX. I don't know if the colors are the same across the newer model years.
View attachment 192345
Im curious as how you mounted your load resistors. Only asking because mine get extremely hot to the touch. Im worried it might cause a fire or something.

thanks.

#27 · (Edited)
Awesome. Let us know how it goes.

And just a heads up you can use the black ground wire to ground the resistor, but I found I couldn't get a good enough tap in connection. I just grounded it under one of the securing bolts on the lights.

#29 ·
OK so I can confirm that this works as intended. Function wise the only difference I can verify between the exled module is at night when the parking lights are on only the inner boomerang LED lights up as the turn signal. During the day they both function the same if you have the parking lights off. This is for the 2014-2015 models.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

#46 ·
There are a few threads on this. As long as you tap into the turn signals prior to where you tapped into the harness for the bumper reflectors, you will get your desired flashing on bumper lights. If you do it after the splice for the bumper reflectors, then the reflectors will just work with the breaks and normal driving (no flicker when signaling).

Ive installed a few sets of these and have done them both ways. You also can have both flash and not have the trunk light flash with the turn signal as well. So the outer rear lamp and the bumper reflector only will flash with the turn. I did this on another members car and want to switch mine to the same way so it's not so "hey look at me turn". Lol. I am the one who posted the video of this mod when it first came out.
Does anyone know how to do this above? I would like only my outer tail lamps to serve as my signal/running/brake lights along with my bumper reflector LEDs. The inner lamps on the trunk would just be brake/running.

I ordered the diode dynamics module but I have yet to try it out.

Thanks!

---------- Post added at 01:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:47 AM ----------

Since I'm so new, I can't paste a link yet - so here is the name the forum thread I am talking about - page 3.

"Led turn signal led bumper reflectors working together"

---------- Post added at 01:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:50 AM ----------

I am referring to having only the outer led tail lights and bumper reflectors function as signal/brake/running and the inner tail lights on the trunk function as brake/running.

WooHoo! 5th post! I can post links!

#58 ·

davidbeckett.db

·
Registered
Joined a moment ago
·
0 Posts
#2 a moment ago
•••
Hi Everyone, I know this forum is for optimal but I have a 2016 kia Sportage I just ordered diode dynamics tail as turn. I am uber driver my goal and plan is to get turn signals off rear bumper and up into light that houses the brake light. People behind me don't see my turn signals when changing lanes and turning..plus if vehicles get to close they cover area where I am blinking and don't see them. If it's a truck behind me they don't see at all.i have had close calls not being able to turn in time people almost in my back end. I don't know why kia would these turn signals so low and not in the beautiful tail and brake lights above its dangerous and puts me at risk driving. My question is does anyone know what color turn signals in rear are and brake light wires to..which wires would I use with tail as turn I have to run a long wire up from each side of turn signals and then work with brake light wire on each side..i also ordered two hyperflash resistors..can anyone help me out I will getting it any day now. And want to do the project I do have electronics experience but don't know what turn and brake wires I use to install to the tail as turn modules on each side..i appreciate any help anyone can offer Thanks so much !

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.