Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

Long story short, my front left dash speaker has blown. Although it's getting replaced by Kia this weekend, I caught the upgrade bug and ordered a set of JBL GTO328's to replace both front dash speakers and a pair of JBL GTO638's to replace the rear door speakers.

I noticed that the dash speakers have 2 sets of cables (Green/Black, Yellow/Black) suggesting that the speakers are biamped BUT naturally the JBL's have only a single input. Question is, how do you get around this situation to enable the upgrade to happen? Also, is it even worth the trouble of upgrading the speakers? I mean, the Infinity system sounds great and the only issue that I have with the system is the buzzing and rattling that the door panels make while listening to music. My thinking is that with the better speakers the system will sound the same or a bit better but I won't have to worry about build quality issues such as I'm experiencing now with the stock system.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bumping back to the top. Curious to see if anyone with the Nav Infinity setup has taken the plunge and upgraded the speakers. There has to be someone out there that has done this being that the car has been around for over 2 years now or at least know's the answer to the question above regarding the front dash speakers.

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima SXL
414 Posts
I haven't done this as I'm satisfied with the stock setup but just my 2 cents here. I believe if you did swap them out with JBL's it will probably sound just a tad bit better. Again, your going to be wiring them to the stock amp so you won't hear too much difference. Difference comes from an aftermarket amp but that depends if you want to run wires and what not.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah... That's what I'm thinking. Probably going to just return the JBL speakers and dedicate the money to getting rid of all of the rattles and buzzing when I listen to music. That in of itself will dramatically improve the quality of the sound system.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I tried it last night and I think I accidently wired the post in parallel 4+4= 2 ohms.. with subs its good... with components very bad.. I think I blew my right front polk Audio DXI350 and DXI6500. Expensive learning curve. the factory speakers were 2 ohm.so i am pretty sure they were wired in series for a 4 ohm load. I say this be case if you wire two 2ohm speakers in parallel you get 1 ohm and i doubt the factory amp can handle that much lees the factory speakers themselves.I will definately figure out the problem before waisting money on new speakers. for now "spap,crackle, pop!". Make sure you have the wiring diagram for the 4 wire set up. Friendly warning......Alboogie

·
Registered
2012 Kia Optima
105 Posts
Guy's i'm going to resurrect this post as i'm still in this boat i have JBL GTO328's for my dash replacements on my infinity system as I replaced all my doors with JBL's. I just spoke with an installer he's not 100% but fairly certain that the reason for 4 wires to the dash speakers is that they run the door speakers as well he asked me to pull the dash speaker and unplug it if the door speaker turns off then his theory is correct if not then we likely have the theory of hi/lo pass separated for that dash speaker(which i'm doubting, i mean why would they do that for just the dash speakers?)All the door speakers were straight up 2 wires. Has anyone else done this replacement on the infinity system?

·
Registered
453 Posts
The dash speakers have 4 wires because the speaker and tweeter are ran separately from the amp, each midrange and tweeter gets its own amplifier and processing channel.

If you put a speaker and connect it just to the midrange wire, you wont get the high frequencies. If you connect it to the tweeter wire, you won't get the midrange frequencies and will only get the highs. You cant connect all 4 wires to one speaker.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Optima
105 Posts
The dash speakers have 4 wires because the speaker and tweeter are ran separately from the amp, each midrange and tweeter gets its own amplifier and processing channel.

If you put a speaker and connect it just to the midrange wire, you wont get the high frequencies. If you connect it to the tweeter wire, you won't get the midrange frequencies and will only get the highs. You cant connect all 4 wires to one speaker.
Thats what i was afraid of.Anyone know the solution?

·
Registered
2014 KIA Optima
1,663 Posts
Thats what i was afraid of.Anyone know the solution?
I would buy some bi-ampable 3 1/2 speakers for the dash if possible that have separate channels for the tweeter/mid range speakers like the stock Infiniti set-up , or I would just use the tweeter channel to hook-up your new dash speaker if you do not want to buy some new speakers.

Like stated before, you may lose some mid-range by doing hooking up the new speaker to just the tweeter input, but you still have plenty of highs near your ears and some mid-range around the 1-2k range depending on where the Infinity processor crossover point is for the tweeters.

Not ideal, but it is hard to find a better sounding replacement for the stock Infinity speakers without bypassing the stock amp/processor completely.

·
Super Moderator
2012 Kia Optima
3,442 Posts
Might be easier if you are not upgrading the entire car system to just use the Infinity speakers and put your time and money into addressing the squeaks or rattles from the can panels. Get some foam strips and soma dynomat and go hunt them down! :) GL

·
Registered
453 Posts
Yep^

If they're not blown, don't replace them, unless your willing to go all out and get a processor. Deadening will help more than throwing some random speaker in that can't be wired like the stock speakers.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Optima
105 Posts
Well?, no there no blown and i'm content leaving them as is I just cant famish the thought that not one person has replaced them? I thank you guys for your help!

·
Registered
2014 KIA Optima
1,663 Posts
Well?, no there no blown and i'm content leaving them as is I just cant famish the thought that not one person has replaced them? I thank you guys for your help!
No problem.

The factory Infinity speakers(except the subwoofer) are actually as good as any sub $200.00 component speaker set you could buy, so there is no point is removing them unless you are willing to do a major upgrade or overhaul the entire system.

Hence why many owners do not mess with the Infinity speakers besides the subwoofer.

·
Registered
453 Posts
^Yep.

If I could access the tuning features of the infinity processor, I would only add a subwoofer and amp to fix the response issues below 40hz.

But, since I can't, I have to replace the subwoofer, remove the rear and center speakers, upgrade the door speakers, upgrade tweeters, remove the midranges, add amps and a processor.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Optima
105 Posts
OK guys point taken. However lets just say someone wanted to swap the dash speakers out in that configuration (infinity) Is it possible there's is no way?. In all honesty im content with the set up having added a 12" subwoofer with the audio control.

·
Registered
2014 KIA Optima
1,663 Posts
OK guys point taken. However lets just say someone wanted to swap the dash speakers out in that configuration (infinity) Is it possible there's is no way?. In all honesty im content with the set up having added a 12" subwoofer with the audio control.
Yes, you can like I stated before , but you would have to connect the new dash speaker to the high or mid-range Infinity speaker output, which may sound worst than the stock speakers you are replacing.

But, you can do it.

The best option would be to find bi-ampable 3 1/2in speakers that can accept both channels.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Optima
105 Posts
Yes, you can like I stated before , but you would have to connect the new dash speaker to the high or mid-range Infinity speaker output, which may sound worst than the stock speakers you are replacing.

But, you can do it.

The best option would be to find bi-ampable 3 1/2in speakers that can accept both channels.
Interesting?. is there such thing as a Bi ampable car speaker? not to mention in that size?

·
Registered
2014 KIA Optima
1,663 Posts
Interesting?. is there such thing as a Bi ampable car speaker? not to mention in that size?
I can not find a 3 1/2in speaker that has separate inputs for the tweeter and mid-range(they used to be more popular several years back), but here is a 6.5in that has a separate input for the tweeter and one for the mid-woofer(even the 6.5in bi-ampable speakers are rare now).
Polk Audio MM651 6.5" Mobile Monitor MM Car Speakers

1 - 20 of 27 Posts