Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima SX 2011
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I want to upgrade the brakes on my 2011 optima SX, I want to do lapping and the original brake is really not up to it. I don't want to drop in like 4000$ for brakes on a 7000$ car, so what would be a nice upgrade, for a budget of maybe 1500$ (including 2X front calipers, rotors and pads...). I know it's not much but that's the budget. Or maybe I should put like 1000$ on the rear (they are completely gone and have to be done), and wait until the front are gone also (that shouldn't be long if I take it for a few track days !).

I was thinking of putting 2 pistons 2005 XG350 calipers in front...Would that be a noticeable upgrade and ok for doing some track, or I'm just wasting time and money ? I don't want do break the tracks records, just want to decent times and basically compete with myself and my own driving. But if after 2 or 3 laps the brakes are gone and boiling, there's no point..

Anyway, what would you guys think would be the best way to go ?

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
279 Posts
I had R1 Concept rotors and Shark Racing 4-piston calipers with their included pads. It felt much more powerful to me. Probably $800 altogether, not sure the rotors were really necessary.

Didn't prevent the car from being totaled when some [email protected]%# ran a light and turned in front of me. :)

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima SX 2011
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great thanks, I didn't even know about shark racing ! Looks like a great option. What about the back, did you keep the stock calipers ?

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima SX 2011
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@K5 optima store, I looked on you webpage and didn't see any calipers, you have some ?

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
2017 Tesla Model X
28,215 Posts
@K5 optima store, I looked on you webpage and didn't see any calipers, you have some ?
Well we don’t have any brakes listed on our website, but we can order you upgraded rotors, ceramic pads, etc. Unfortunately, we do not sell calipers at this time. If you’re interested in seeing what we can do for you in terms of a complete set of upgraded rotors and pads, shoot me over an email and I’d be happy to help. [email protected]

·
Super Moderator
2012 Kia Optima
3,437 Posts
The 2 piston 2005 XG350 calipers in front are an amazing upgrade. ALso getting better rotors will help. And check out sharkracing.com for some other types. ENjoy!

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima SX 2011
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
All right thanks Jason ! One question for you guys: I'd like to mount my original front calipers/rotor to the rear. My car is a 2011 SX, so no E-brake. I know it won't have the parking brake, but I don't mind at all, I never use it. In fact the parking brake in-car pedal is bothering me, and I would just take it off.

So, for the calipers/rotos, I suspect it's not a direct fit; question is: anybody has done this before ? And anyone knows where I could look for mounting adapters ?

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima SX
11 Posts
My brakes are ready to be replaced...pads for sure, and I feel a little shimmy when braking at higher speeds so I assume rotors are a little warped so I'm looking at new rotors and pads. I don't need anything crazy, but since I'm doing it anyway I thought I'd go for a little upgrade. I was thinking about cross-drilled/slotted rotors. R1 eLine is specifically what I'm looking at on Amazon...$200 includes all rotors and pads. (Maybe down the road I'll do the 2 piston caliper swap, but not doing that just yet.)

Does anyone have experience with this brand? Pros/cons to cross-drilled/slotted rotors? Alternatives? Suggestions and opinions welcomed! Thanks!

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
2017 Tesla Model X
28,215 Posts
My brakes are ready to be replaced...pads for sure, and I feel a little shimmy when braking at higher speeds so I assume rotors are a little warped so I'm looking at new rotors and pads. I don't need anything crazy, but since I'm doing it anyway I thought I'd go for a little upgrade. I was thinking about cross-drilled/slotted rotors. R1 eLine is specifically what I'm looking at on Amazon...$200 includes all rotors and pads. (Maybe down the road I'll do the 2 piston caliper swap, but not doing that just yet.)

Does anyone have experience with this brand? Pros/cons to cross-drilled/slotted rotors? Alternatives? Suggestions and opinions welcomed! Thanks!
Unfortunately, we do not offer anything for that price of $200 including shipping.

However, if you are looking for some quality Stoptech slotted or drilled rotors, and some high quality ceramic pads, we would be glad to help.

Unfortunately, our pricing would be about double the $200 price you found on Amazon, but I'm sure there may be some differences with the parts.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
313 Posts

I have the 2013 LX, and had the R1 E-line slotted and drilled rotors for a few years. They worked fine, but were incredibly noisy when braking. I just swapped them out for a set of Phantoms from Cquence brakes, and they have been excellent so far. More powerful braking, and far, far less noisy. I use Duralast Gold ceramic pads, and due to my driving style, tend to go through about one set of pads every year or so. we'll see how they hold up, but I already prefer them over my old R1s.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts