Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It might sound kinda dumb but I was wondering if anyone has tried a muffler delete on their SX??
JUST FOR SOUND!!
I've researched about performance gains and know there are very minimal gains if any but only in the higher RPM range, low end torque seems to drop off a bit.

I had an Altima coupe and loved the way the exhaust sounded with the muffler delete on the factory exhaust system which DID have a resonator but I'm not sure if we do from this picture:

Soooooo after a forum and youtube search I've found nothing so was wondering if anyone has attempted this. I don't think I will since it isn't setup like my Altima was and you can't unbolt the Y-Pipe but I'm too poor to get the downpipe and midpipe at the moment which will also give me power gains!
If anyone wants to get me one or 3-D print me one I would appreciate it! :D

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
1,637 Posts
The one thing to keep in mind is that Turbo-charged engines do need some back-pressure to operate correctly. Not sure if this would be a negative mod for you to do.

·
Registered
633 Posts
But I thought fart cans were like adding an extra turbo! Don't they add like 100 HP to a civic?
Lmao. OP I don't think it's a good idea especially since we drive 4 cylinder turbo charged vehicles.

·
Premium Member
1,081 Posts
Well I don't know what the Racing optima cars use but I thought it sounded pretty nice lol. But I would go this route. If you want sound habe someone make you a MP and just don't add the res and cat and you should get more sound.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
369 Posts
...meanwhile

Back to the OPs original question. Yes, our cars do have a resonator - it's integrated in with the removeable "b-pipe" and is located between the passenger and drivers seats under the car. A muffler delete definitely does take it up a notch. I installed a 3" e-cutout between the convertor and the resonator and the car comes to life with an unrestricted exhaust when i have the cutout open.

Whoever said that turbocharged vehicles need backpressure to operate correctly is mistaken. I know i've read whatever SterlinF1 says or all the stuff... but the fact of the matter is that exhaust flow is that any type of restriction after the turbine is a bottleneck and forces a slower spoolup. Anyone here ever noticed how the Outlaw Class drag cars run their exhaust? Exactly.

The SX is a turbocharged pariah because of the servo actuated wastegate.

-asher

·
Registered
157 Posts
hahahahahahaah

any restriction would be the wrong wording ... every thing has a restriction, the consistence of exhaust flow is what changes spool times...
also there's a whole host of other reason why outlaw class drag cars run turbos the way they do. And none of them have to do with a optima.

Unconstipate the exhaust flow to, through, and away from the turbine housing outlet, and the boost onset will improve. i.e., you'll get into boost sooner [onset threshhold], and get to a higher boost level faster, if you lower (not eliminate) the backpressure in the exhaust post turbo.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Asher-- you have any sound clips of your set up?

Also OP, I believe Ty's2012turbo is running muffler deletes with magnaflow mufflers. It sounds pretty good

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
...meanwhile

Back to the OPs original question. Yes, our cars do have a resonator - it's integrated in with the removeable "b-pipe" and is located between the passenger and drivers seats under the car. A muffler delete definitely does take it up a notch. I installed a 3" e-cutout between the convertor and the resonator and the car comes to life with an unrestricted exhaust when i have the cutout open.

Whoever said that turbocharged vehicles need backpressure to operate correctly is mistaken. I know i've read whatever SterlinF1 says or all the stuff... but the fact of the matter is that exhaust flow is that any type of restriction after the turbine is a bottleneck and forces a slower spoolup. Anyone here ever noticed how the Outlaw Class drag cars run their exhaust? Exactly.

The SX is a turbocharged pariah because of the servo actuated wastegate.

-asher
thanks for all the feedback everyone. I read a lot of back and forth about back pressure, saying its good for low end torque but being able to breath better helps for high end power.

I used to have an e-cut out on my 4 banger Altima and to be honest it sounded like a beast wide open and it didn't have any crazy mods done to it, just bolt-ons. BUT high end RPMs did make it sound like it had a fart can strapped to the rear end.
Not saying I expect the Optima to be the same but just an inquiry. I was hoping it would be as simple as doing it to the Altima was but I think my next question is.....

Megan Racing or Nameless Downpipe and Midpipe!?!??!
Megan racing is like half the price for the bundle!!!

·
Registered
2013 KIA OPTIMA
481 Posts
you will feel the difference with either one.. Nameless is 3" with a high flo cat and Megan is 2.5 with no cat so performance may be close to the same, with the edge to nameless. Now with Megan you'll get a slight exhaust smell in your cabin. also check the classifieds on both this forum and turbosonata.com you may get a nameless for a great price.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts