Kia Optima Forums banner

281 - 300 of 323 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Kia Optima
118 Posts
Should I be worried about any possible water from the outside entering the scotch lock clips? Or is its placement away from any outside substances

·
Registered
29 Posts
You can wrap them with electrical tape which will make the group of wires look cleaner and help keep water out. Also, anywhere you want extra resistance and protection I always use 'Amazing Goop' glue (Marine version has a UV stabilizer, excellent product - it comes in a toothpaste-like tube from Wal-M, Home-D, etc in the paint dept). It is also excellent at the cut end of the tape to seal it from potentially peeling loose over time. it sticks to everything except styrofoam (which it melts).

·
Registered
2012 Kia Optima
118 Posts
You can wrap them with electrical tape which will make the group of wires look cleaner and help keep water out. Also, anywhere you want extra resistance and protection I always use 'Amazing Goop' glue (Marine version has a UV stabilizer, excellent product - it comes in a toothpaste-like tube from Wal-M, Home-D, etc in the paint dept). It is also excellent at the cut end of the tape to seal it from potentially peeling loose over time. it sticks to everything except styrofoam (which it melts).
Thanks, I'll probably just use electrical tape. The wire clips to add in the resistor was a huge fail, didn't even cut into the wire. Gonna get some T-Tap connectors instead. Anyone know the size of the T-tap connector that will work with this install?

·
Registered
2014 KIA Poverty EX
499 Posts
I gave it a half-ass attempt to install these while I was doing my suspension this past weekend but couldn't even get the bumper off my '14 :D

·
Registered
2014 KIA Poverty EX
499 Posts
Did I miss something? LOL. I didn't have to take my bumper off to install these.
Pretty sure I read that the 14's and up need the bumper removed to get to that bulb location. The radiator support blocks any access except from below as far as I can see. I can see the bulb tab from underneath but cannot get a good enough grip to pull it out.

·
Your K5 Optima Store Rep
2012 Kia Optima
1,818 Posts
Pretty sure I read that the 14's and up need the bumper removed to get to that bulb location. The radiator support blocks any access except from below as far as I can see. I can see the bulb tab from underneath but cannot get a good enough grip to pull it out.
My mistake sir. The 2014 part didn't register. Long shift yesterday. LOL

·
Registered
29 Posts
No kidding!!! Having to take bumper off to Change a Turn-Signal Bulb really makes no sense at all - unless it is to access the wire harness...

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima
172 Posts
Yea i had to take my bumper off my '14 to change them :\ I looked in the manual and it showed taking the bumper off. Lets just say it took me forever but doing it again will be a breeze! Well worth the effort too :D

·
Registered
2014 KIA Poverty EX
499 Posts
No kidding!!! Having to take bumper off to Change a Turn-Signal Bulb really makes no sense at all - unless it is to access the wire harness...
Seriously! I told a couple of my gearhead buddies and they thought I was joking.

Yea i had to take my bumper off my '14 to change them :\ I looked in the manual and it showed taking the bumper off. Lets just say it took me forever but doing it again will be a breeze! Well worth the effort too :D
So question for ya then, once you have taken all the grill-top screws, screws underneath as well as the wheel-arch screws out, what else is needed? I 'popped' both sides out but even after pulling pretty hard, couldn't get it to budge on either side. I saw on the DIY vid for the 13's, there were two nuts and another screw on each side. As hard as I looked under the headlight on the '14 I couldn't see these but it still wouldn't come loose. Did I miss something?

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima
172 Posts
Alright, so when you popped both sides out there is "clips" under the headlights (similar to the ones that you got to pop out). So you need really pull at feeling like its gonna break and it will pop. I honestly thought it was gonna rip but it came right out no problem! I know there is a pic around on here for it i just don't know where lol. I'll try to find it for you!

·
Registered
2014 KIA Poverty EX
499 Posts
Alright, so when you popped both sides out there is "clips" under the headlights (similar to the ones that you got to pop out). So you need really pull at feeling like its gonna break and it will pop. I honestly thought it was gonna rip but it came right out no problem! I know there is a pic around on here for it i just don't know where lol. I'll try to find it for you!
You da man, thanks Minsky. This might be this Sunday's project :)

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
I might make a video detailing how to remove the bumpers on these when I take off my DRL's this weekend. NappyDrew made a video but this question still comes up from time to time. His method involves removing 3 10mm (I think) bolts from the bumper brackets on each side and taking them off with the bumper. This avoids the having to pull on the bumper (he tore his bumper cover doing that) but of course takes longer. If you understand how those clips under the headlights work... it's easy to get it off with minimal tugging. I'll see if I can detail it for everyone. Takes me only about 15 minutes to remove the front bumper, but filming it will present some challenges.

·
Registered
51 Posts
My new switchbacks are installed, but currently without the load resisters. The reason the resistors are currently off, is because I have no idea which wires I need to attach them too. The OP did a great job explaining and displaying things, but it looks like the wiring harness' between earlier models and the 14' are different. I'll snap a photo of it so you can all see first hand. For the time being, I'll have to deal with hyper flashing and no white light while the blinkers aren't being used.

·
Registered
51 Posts
thanks bumpercut...even if this is true, id still like to know how to connect the resistor in order to make the turn and hazard lights flash properly.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
I was cussing up a storm when I installed mine on my 2012 LX. People make it sound so easy, but it's definitey not, at least the first time.

Sounds like you need to track down a 2014 wiring diagram for your trim level, which is what?

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have the SX. I replaced all the lights around the exterior of the vehicle and they're all very straight forward, even the rear turn signals. But the front turns are stupid had to get to...even if you how to do it, that's alot of work for one bulb.

281 - 300 of 323 Posts