Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2011 kia optima lx
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive had my 11 kia optima lx simce feb of 2019, 28 days of buying the car and after leaving home heard a weird noise from under car but proceeded to drive. a mile from home and my tire blew up on front passengar side. come to find out the strut seemed to have been installed incorrectly causing the coil spring to rip into my tire. kia ended up covering the strut but not the tire itself.

hardly have driven the vehicle this year especially with the covid, at most 3 times in the past 3 months 6 miles top on back roads. may 12th i went to leave my house and when backing up heard some weird clunking noises. i made it just past my mailbox and a huge noise aounding like metal getting broken and flying (sorry for my horrible explanation) i stopped immediately searched around the car amd come to find out the driver side coil spring broke completely off. my 2 year old was in the car with me. ive had to fix almost every recall on this car and more problems since i got it. is this normal? im fed up with this optima and all of the problems. bought with 79k car is at 113k. dealership is unreliable and kia has failed to contact me back in regards to all these constant issues.

1st 2
photos are the 1st incident back in feb 2019

rest of photos are recent
may 12th 2020 incident

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,600 Posts
Must live in the rust belt area, a lot of salt etc on the roads, or meybe the prior owner. Yup, with the crappy steel used, they've had suspension components fail from rust, nothing new though. My '08 had a lower control arm rust completely through and when the dealer looked at the problem, I was told I shouldn't be driving the car. They had frame rusting problems in the early 2000's, and in the >'11 rust problems. They've issued TSB for various rust problems, and know the Hyundai had coil springs break because of rust.

Years ago purchased a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee at the auction, cheap, 81,000 miles, oil pan rusted through, along with brake lines, fuel lines and undercarriage loaded with rust. The Jeep was used in Wisconsin and came through an auction in NJ.

Good luck as rust is not an item one wants to deal with.

·
Registered
2011 kia optima lx
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes new hampshire. i even remember 2019 they were suppost to have done the under carriage spray for that issue but knowing the dealership i got it from they probably skipped it. i will look into the tsbs thank you.

car has had 2 owners before me as well as being involved in a rear end accident. i loved my 2010 kia optima lx but this one is a lemon .

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,600 Posts
Yes, they spray that goop all over the undercarriage and that's their way to prevent rust problems, but it's like closing the barn door after the horse escaped.
The '08 was a real workhorse with minimal problems and still going at 300,000 miles, but the '11 has been a work in progress.

·
Super Moderator
2012 Kia Optima
3,493 Posts
Wow thats crazy! Looks like the spring came over the spring perch. Glad Kia fixed the issue. Got new struts on both sides now or just one (you generally replace in pairs)?

·
Registered
2011 kia optima lx
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
car still hasnt been fixed. and come ro find out they never fully replaced the 1st strut. they just reset it on the passengar side. kia and a few dealerships my way havent been answering me for servicing the car. and from what i know it is best to replace the struts in pairs. had i known these issues ahead of time i would have corrected it much different. i will be aiming for all 4 replaced.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts