Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if there's been any suspension differences between the MY2011 to MY2012-15?

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
2017 Tesla Model X
28,535 Posts
There is a difference, 2011 Optima models, and early build 2012 models are built in Korea.

Therefore, the endlinks on US built models and Korean built models are different.

Ark coilovers will NOT fit on any 2011 or early build Optima made in Korea.

Check the 7th to last digit of your VIN on the vehicle.

If it is a "G" the car was made in Georgia, and if it's a "5" then the car was made in Korea.

As long as you have the "G" for any 2012+ optima, this mean it was made in the US in Georgia.

No 2011 Optima models were ever produced in the US, so the Ark Coilovers will not fit them at all.

Hope this helps...

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
2,103 Posts
There is a difference, 2011 Optima models, and early build 2012 models are built in Korea.

Therefore, the endlinks on US built models and Korean built models are different.

Ark coilovers will NOT fit on any 2011 or early build Optima made in Korea.

Check the 7th to last digit of your VIN on the vehicle.

If it is a "G" the car was made in Georgia, and if it's a "5" then the car was made in Korea.

As long as you have the "G" for any 2012+ optima, this mean it was made in the US in Georgia.

No 2011 Optima models were ever produced in the US, so the Ark Coilovers will not fit them at all.

Hope this helps...
How about if they changed the end link?

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is the angle so different from 2011 to 2012-13 struts that an aftermarket endlink won't be able to connect? Usually, the aftermarket endlink has a some play.

David, based on your picture above, is the 2011 endlink bolt location facing forward (towards the wheel well) for the 2011 vs. more parallel for the 2012 onwards? I noticed that other manufacturers (ie: D2 Racing RS, TruHart StreetPlus) advertises theirs as 2011-15 Optimas. How does it work in both their cases?

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
2017 Tesla Model X
28,535 Posts
Is the angle so different from 2011 to 2012-13 struts that an aftermarket endlink won't be able to connect? Usually, the aftermarket endlink has a some play.

David, based on your picture above, is the 2011 endlink bolt location facing forward (towards the wheel well) for the 2011 vs. more parallel for the 2012 onwards? I noticed that other manufacturers (ie: D2 Racing RS, TruHart StreetPlus) advertises theirs as 2011-15 Optimas. How does it work in both their cases?
Actually, after doing a little more research on this, it should work with the correct set of endlinks being installed.

Not sure on the picture as to which is which, but D2 & Truhart simply include the extra set of endlinks in the box in case you happen to have a 2011 model.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
2,103 Posts
Did some searching and find that the '11 gas models use a different stabilizer bar than the '11 Hybrid and '12-'15 all.
Front lower arm '11-'15 produced after 9/28/10 same but different when produced before date.
I dunno??????

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
^^^Any pics of this to compare?

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
2,103 Posts
^^^Any pics of this to compare?
No pictures, just info that was on parts list.
After thinking about it, maybe the stabilizer bar configuration the same, just a different diameter, and LCA, maybe steel vs. Aluminun? Just a guess w/o research.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Anyone care to take a pic of their front suspension from all angles? :) If someone has a 2011 or a 2012-13, please post!

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
2017 Tesla Model X
28,535 Posts
So is it possible to put 2012 front struts and links into a 2011 Korean built optima lx?
Regular struts I am unsure of, but the aftermarket ones we sell on our website below, designed only for vehicles with aftermarket lowering springs, would 100% fit.

This is because they will include different endlinks inside of the box that come with the new struts.

You can find these on our website below, but remember they are only compatible on vehicles that have been lowered with aftermarket lowering springs.

TruHart Kia Optima/Hyundai Sonata Sport Shocks/Struts Combo - K5 Optima Store

1 - 14 of 14 Posts