Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I reset my stereo with the sunroof open and the sunroof became unresponsive; was stuck open. I tried the sunroof reset and nothing. I decided to open the overhead console and disconnecting and reconnecting the switch reset something and the top and shades closed. This resulted in the sunroof being stuck closed with the switch still being unresponsive. I reset the stereo a couple of times and tried the sunroof reset daily till one day it randomly worked. Everything was fine for a day or two but then the sunroof didn't want to close again. It seems the switch disconnect resets the sunroof to close, but after opening the close function doesn't work. Opening seems to work fine the one time, and pushing the close button mid automatic open interrupts, so I guess a close signal connection is being made. Does anyone want to make a suggestion before I bring it in for the 130 dollar diagnostic? New switch is 75 bucks and ordered but I now think that was a mistake.

I also discovered that the shade started getting snagged and doesn't open completely out very smoothly

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I was thinking those are the only real options. I'm going to clean and regrease the racks in case the shade closing issue might be tripping up the functionalities somehow. Also there the new switch coming in the mail, but I think that won't make a difference after toying around with it yesterday

·
Registered
6 Posts
Have you checked the fuses? Blown fuses aren't the only problem you can have. The metal teeth of the fuse deteriorates or corrodes and the fuse doesn't allow as much amperage as it's meant to. As a result, the full wattage needed for parts in your car is not delivered and those parts fatigue. When I bought my car a month ago it had all sorted of problems. One of them was ticking from the water pump. I replaced all related fuses, none of them blown but all pretty gross (I live in BC and the humidity is terrible, I've pulled some out that look like they've been in a fire...), then I reset by battery (which had been done a few times for other things) and the problem was resolved and has been gone since.
Maybe you don't live in a humid place, so it may not be as much of a problem for you, but pull them and check them. They should be a dirty grey. If they are brown in any way you should change them. No more than $1 a fuse.
My '04 Civic was the same way. Window motor died, replaced it, all windows were slow, even the new one. Replaced the fuses, all windows were significantly faster, just as fast as the new motor. That car was very low mileage when I got it, mostly original parts. So 14 year old window motors just needed the right amount of watts (power). At only 12-14 volts, a tenth of household voltage, A/C fans and windows need a lot of amperage to produce the power to move them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the response. I had swapped out the fuse, but that doesn't seem to be the issue. I cleaned and re-grease the tracks and this has kept the sunroof working without the switch failing. The only exception is the left side of the front shade is binding,snagging when initially opening after closing completely. I have tried to better clean and re-grease it again, but this hasn't helped with the binding. There is a tsb out for the kia Sorento that addresses this specifically. It says that if the track and fittings aren't completely cleaned of all grease, the system will continue to get snagged and this seems to be the case. I am unsure on how to remove the feet for the forward shades, has anyone tried this?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts