Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Kia Optima
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2017 hybrid. At 19,000 ish miles, I had an oil change. The shop pushed "Engine Sludge Treatment," and "Fuel Induction and Injection" services for $500. I declined. The garage claimed these are suggested by Kia, but none of the three is in the owner's manual. My question is are these legitimate services or not? The oil change frequency (5 or 7.5k) is more frequent than my Prius was (that was 10k).

Thoughts.

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
1,147 Posts
As long as you perform regularly scheduled oil (and filter) changes and use decent-quality motor oil, engine sludge shouldn't be too much of an issue--at least not to the extremes seen in Toyota engines in the past. Don't really need fuel induction/injection services either as long as you use Top Tier gas and/or pour a bottle of fuel treatment cleaner in your fuel tank every now and then. Not saying that such services aren't legitimate, but are more of a money maker for the business than anything else.

·
Registered
2017 KIA Optima
3,265 Posts
Was that a KIA dealer or some other shop? Unless you never had your oil changed, that might be warranted but for regular service, you don't need that. I remember my friend hadn't changed her oil in her Camry in like 40K+ miles and that thing had sludge in it.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Optima
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have 2017 hybrid. At 19,000 ish miles, I had an oil change. The shop pushed "Engine Sludge Treatment," and "Fuel Induction and Injection" services for $500. I declined. The garage claimed these are suggested by Kia, but none of the three is in the owner's manual. My question is are these legitimate services or not? The oil change frequency (5 or 7.5k) is more frequent than my Prius was (that was 10k).

Thoughts.
As long as you perform regularly scheduled oil (and filter) changes and use decent-quality motor oil, engine sludge shouldn't be too much of an issue--at least not to the extremes seen in Toyota engines in the past. Don't really need fuel induction/injection services either as long as you use Top Tier gas and/or pour a bottle of fuel treatment cleaner in your fuel tank every now and then. Not saying that such services aren't legitimate, but are more of a money maker for the business than anything else.
Thanks. I've been having the oil changed at 5k since most of my driving is in town, and I always use Top Tier gasoline and Chevron fuel cleaner once a year.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Optima
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Was that a KIA dealer or some other shop? Unless you never had your oil changed, that might be warranted but for regular service, you don't need that. I remember my friend hadn't changed her oil in her Camry in like 40K+ miles and that thing had sludge in it.
It is a KIA dealer. I've been sticking to the 5k oil change routine which is probably conservative.

·
Registered
2017 KIA Optima
3,265 Posts
I see, that’s the COVID-19 special pricing, to ensure they make money on anyone that comes in. I’m on my 3rd Optima Hybrid and a fuel additive is the only extra thing they have been doing (cause KIA recommends it). One dealer did try to sell me. It for some crazy price, I told him I don’t need it and if I do, I can get it for much cheaper than they wanted to charge for it. I haven’t personally bought the stuff in years but I’m sure it doesn’t cost $75, what’s that $7 for the bottle and $68 for labor? Ahh.., no thanks buddy.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Optima Hybrid
83 Posts
I see, that’s the COVID-19 special pricing, to ensure they make money on anyone that comes in. I’m on my 3rd Optima Hybrid and a fuel additive is the only extra thing they have been doing (cause KIA recommends it). One dealer did try to sell me. It for some crazy price, I told him I don’t need it and if I do, I can get it for much cheaper than they wanted to charge for it. I haven’t personally bought the stuff in years but I’m sure it doesn’t cost $75, what’s that $7 for the bottle and $68 for labor? Ahh.., no thanks buddy.
Exactly. I always bring my own Pennzoil full synthetic and sometime a can of Gumout/Techron. That's all needed at maintenance. No way I'm paying $110 for a full synthetic oil change.

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,197 Posts
Sorry for the side question, but can someone explain where the price difference comes from, between the price of a conventional oil change and a synthetic oil change?

Isn't the labor exactly the same, but you are just using different types of oil? How is the price difference so much higher than just the difference in oil cost?

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
1,147 Posts
The wisea** answer is because dealers feel that an even much higher markup is warranted on synthetic oil compared to that of dino oil.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Optima Hybrid
83 Posts
Sorry for the side question, but can someone explain where the price difference comes from, between the price of a conventional oil change and a synthetic oil change?

Isn't the labor exactly the same, but you are just using different types of oil? How is the price difference so much higher than just the difference in oil cost?
Not exactly the same in dealer's system.

My dealership also has a quicklube store (which is now closed due to virus). I remembered last year when I was doing oil change and bringing my own full synthetic oil, the guy said he put in the system "conventional oil change" so I can save 10 bucks on the labor. I was like, isn't that the exact same labor, just a different jar?

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,197 Posts
Oh, do you mean a different type of labor is performed on the car?

Any idea? Do they caress the car gently, and make sure it's warm before injecting the oil?

·
Registered
2017 Kia Optima Hybrid
83 Posts
Oh, do you mean a different type of labor is performed on the car?

Any idea? Do they caress the car gently, and make sure it's warm before injecting the oil?
It's the same labor. Those shops simply mark up the price for both labor and oil for full synthetic oil change. It's a rip off.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts