Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone suggest a fuse I can piggy-back on for 12V constant (always on) for dashcam?

I have a hardware fuse tap, which includes automatic cutoff voltage at 11.8V. So it should be safe to use with a constant on voltage, because that way the dashcam can remain on while parked for security motion detection recording until the battery drains to 11.8V. I don't want to use a fuse that is unpowered when the car is off.

I worry about tapping the "wrong" type of constant fuse. I understand you should stay away from certain circuits (airbag?), but anyone have a good suggestion for an always on circuit that is safe to use?

Thanks

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
178 Posts
Can anyone suggest a fuse I can piggy-back on for 12V constant (always on) for dashcam?

I have a hardware fuse tap, which includes automatic cutoff voltage at 11.8V. So it should be safe to use with a constant on voltage, because that way the dashcam can remain on while parked for security motion detection recording until the battery drains to 11.8V. I don't want to use a fuse that is unpowered when the car is off.

I worry about tapping the "wrong" type of constant fuse. I understand you should stay away from certain circuits (airbag?), but anyone have a good suggestion for an always on circuit that is safe to use?

Thanks
Constantly draining your battery while off is not a good thing to do. Voltage is 12.6 and with my police cars there is a timer and with all this stuff on for 2 hours it probably gets to 11.8 so this could never turn off until the battery is shot as it won't draw much but could be wrong and your battery will not last the usual amount as we change these things out almost yearly. rule of thumb is 18 gauge/5amp, 16/7.5, 14/10, 12/15, 10/30, 8/50. cig plugs or horns are usually good to tap into but some cig plugs are ignition. you should have a separate fuse for this if tapping into something or just run it to battery with a fuse. not sure of what you are using.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
178 Posts
I'm using this wiring kit, which senses the car's battery and automatically disconnects if the voltage drops too low:

Hardwire Installation Kit + Fuse Tap for Goluk Dash Cam: Amazon.com.au: Beauty

View attachment 250182
Yea I know about both of those. that style tap i don't like to use because i think the lead has to go on the opposite side of the hot side of the fuse you are replacing this with because if it doesn't it can possibly blow the fuse to supply the factory stuff. i like the ones that just look like a fuse with a lead soldered on and then using your own fuse holder. with this style fuse tap the lead goes to the hot side so you don't blow the fuse for the tap. the other item, those things go bad all the time. sometimes they supply a false 12v to equipment and the equipment won't turn on. like the battery will have almost 14v while vehicle runs but this thing supplies 12v for some reason and the equipment won't turn on. other times they just don't work at all with no voltage or very low voltage.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
178 Posts
use this. they work very well. you can set timer 5 sec. up to 18 hrs. it will also turn off if it senses low voltage. like everything else fuse the input and output/outputs.

·
Registered
Kia Optima Si 2014
64 Posts
Use the interior lamp fuse. I installed a hard wire kit the same way and works fine, also designed to cut off if the battery voltage drops below 12. These are very common and reliable components of dash cams so you won’t have any problem

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the suggestion on interior lamp fuse.

Well, I decided to order a rocker switch, and wire that inline so that I can cut power to the dashcam when I plan to park for long periods. I'll post pics once it comes in and I install it.

So my plan is to still use the constant fuse, and leave the dashcam on all the time when driving or parked at places like the grocery store etc.

But when parked at home, I'll probably turn off the dashcam. So it's a double protection, having the voltage cutoff, and the physical switch.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts