Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My car is a 2012 SX with Premium Touring. This morning I went into the garage to start the car and drive to my store. I started the engine but couldn't get out of Park! After I pried off the little shift lock protector and pressed inside with a screwdriver (as described in the Manual), I got it into Neutral and got the car started. ALL the warning lights were lit on the driver display, and the car didn't seem to shift properly. I couldn't control the shifting manually. Rather than drive the car that way, I drove the two blocks back home and parked the car. I drove my MINI to work instead.

So, the question: Has anyone else experienced this and if so, what seems to be the problem? I called a KIA dealer's service dept. and they couldn't diagnose over the phone... they said to have the car towed to the nearest dealer by Kia Roadside Assistance. We had some seriously heavy rain last night in North Georgia, while I was driving home, and I'm wondering if something shorted out from water. Any suggestions will be welcomed! I really hate having the car towed if unnecessary.

·
01/2012 ROTM
2,434 Posts
Do a SEARCH...this is an issue that a few others have experienced. From what I recall, it was an easy fix. Call RSA and get it towed to your local dealer. There may be a way to drive it there if you feel comfortable but I cannot remember what needed to be done. Again, do a SEARCH and you will find:smile:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do a SEARCH...this is an issue that a few others have experienced. From what I recall, it was an easy fix. Call RSA and get it towed to your local dealer. There may be a way to drive it there if you feel comfortable but I cannot remember what needed to be done. Again, do a SEARCH and you will find:smile:
I actually tried a search, but didn't come up with anything definitive. The problem with searching is knowing what terms to use to find what you're looking for. "Stuck in Park" didn't yield much.

I'll post the answer to the problem when I can get the car to a dealer next week.

·
Former Administrator
2011 K5 Turbo
6,926 Posts
This is one of those things you won't really know what's wrong until you have a dealer look at it. When all the lights are illuminated and it won't shift properly the car is in "limp" mode, which is a way of telling you that you shouldn't be driving it like that.

Hopefully it's not a hydrolock or a short in your ECU.

Good luck, keep us posted.

·
Registered
168 Posts
it's a recall, i work for a KIA dealership, take it in and they will fix it

·
Registered
168 Posts
Do you think I should drive it the 14 miles to the dealership, or should I have it towed? Any other information on what the "recall" is all about?

Thanks for your input!
nothing is gonna happen to the car... it was part of the same recall as the voltage to the Wastagate accuator on the turbo's... just use the shift lock and drive it... it'll take a day or so, they will diagonse it, re program the ECU and TCU.

·
Registered
168 Posts
oh and there was no TSB on it that i could find but i had a customer on a EX-T base that that happened to, we did the work on it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
oh and there was no TSB on it that i could find but i had a customer on a EX-T base that that happened to, we did the work on it.
Thanks! I'll print out your posts and show 'em to the service writer... maybe that will help speed things up Monday morning.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Good luck

·
Registered
168 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just got a call from the dealer, after having the car towed there early this morning. (It wouldn't shift out of 1st gear, so I chose to let KIA pay for the flat bed truck rather than drive 14 miles in low gear.)

Service tech says that the tip-off Beezwax provided led them to find the solution, they think. They're now cleaning all electrical connections (whatever the **** that means) and expect to have the care ready in about another hour. They'll call after testing it to be sure it's back to normal. If that's the case, then a big Thank You to Beezwax! Like juanye86 said, it's great to have helpful resources like you on this forum. Thanks!!

·
Registered
168 Posts
hope everything works out for you bro!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Picked up the SX last night, and all is well and back to normal. In case anyone else has the issue, here's a recap, followed by notes from the dealer's detailed repair bill (warranty, of course). Dealer's repair notes might help someone else get repaired more quickly.:

The Issue: Car was stuck in "Park" and all warning lights were on. After releasing the car from Park with the shift-lock release, the car would not shift out of 1st gear.

Repair notes, quoted from dealer's repair bill:

"Tech checked and duplicated concern. Checked fuse, no comm. with GDS,Opened Techline Case. Found TSB ELGC 033. Removed console and repaired ground terminal. Reassembled, retested. Vehicle now operating as designed.

"During DCS printout found open service action SA119 EWGA inspection/adjustment rev. Open Service action. Completed service action SA119 EWGA Inspection/adjustment."

·
Registered
168 Posts
that looks very familiar... glad they got it all worked out for you

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same problem with my '12 with 300 miles on it at the time. Kia had the car for two weeks. They said there was a bad factory ground that fried the Wastegate Acuator solenoid. I've had it back two weeks and so far, so good.

·
Registered
168 Posts
2 weeks? my service dept figured it out in 48 hours and had it fixed in 72

1 - 20 of 25 Posts