Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '12 SX was built 10/25/11 in Georgia. Can't find front struts because my stabilizer link mounts are just beneath the spring seats and the struts from KYB and everyone else have their mounts midway down the tube. Anyone know where I can get the correct parts?

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,479 Posts
I ordered mine from Amazon, see Strut differences for USA vs Korean VINs? that discussion has the link where I mention that some sellers will call them korean style or sport style or something, I forgot the details but see the discussion in that link.

still in the box, haven't installed yet because the current "wrong" struts are working fine other than a clank every month or so when I go over a bump. But I will install them now that the snow and salted roads are done for the season:

Plumbing fixture Wood Gas Plumbing Coil spring

World Azure Motor vehicle Font Automotive exterior

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I ordered mine from Amazon, see Strut differences for USA vs Korean VINs? that discussion has the link where I mention that some sellers will call them korean style or sport style or something, I forgot the details but see the discussion in that link.

still in the box, haven't installed yet because the current "wrong" struts are working fine other than a clank every month or so when I go over a bump. But I will install them now that the snow and salted roads are done for the season:

View attachment 251321

View attachment 251322
Thanks for the info. Your struts appear to have the correctly positioned link mount for my SX. Could I just use the shorter stabilizer links to make the struts from RockAuto fit? The loaded struts from them were such a bargain!

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,479 Posts
Thanks for the info. Your struts appear to have the correctly positioned link mount for my SX. Could I just use the shorter stabilizer links to make the struts from RockAuto fit? The loaded struts from them were such a bargain!
Yes, that's what I'm currently running, the other "wrong" style that needs shorter stabilizer links.

You'll also need to zip tie or otherwise attach the cable that is normally mounted to the strut. The "wrong" struts don't have that mount so you need to come up with something to keep it safe.

But my experience has been, under certain conditions I don't quite understand, I'll hear a very loud clank from the front end. The times I recall were 1) when aggressively driving up the on-ramp of a cloverleaf, so I'm accelerating while turning, and then there was a slight bump in the road. Also, 2) when I was accelerating kind of aggressively from a stoplight, and there was a drop in the road where the concrete transitioned to the asphalt.

It's very bothersome when it happens, but I haven't had it happen when normally driving (not aggressive). So that's the only concern. I'll know more as to what is happening when I look in there.

Here is my theory, maybe the lower position of the tabs lets them hit something, like when you are turning or accelerating and the strut moves then the tab makes hard contact with the frame or something? I'll know more when I get under there and look around.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,987 Posts
I tried the short end link struts on my '11 2.0T, no problems at all and rode just as hard as the OEM struts, so in <50 miles, put the originals back on. If memory serves me, I didn't use a stay tie, I mounted both on the same bracket.
If they proved to my liking, I was going to order and install the short end links, but never needed to do that.
In fact, they're still sitting in my garage.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I tried the short end link struts on my '11 2.0T, no problems at all and rode just as hard as the OEM struts, so in <50 miles, put the originals back on. If memory serves me, I didn't use a stay tie, I mounted both on the same bracket.
If they proved to my liking, I was going to order and install the short end links, but never needed to do that.
In fact, they're still sitting in my garage.
Thank you all for your advice. I will go with the short stabilizer links. Also, it doesn't appear that the KYB "Korean" loaded struts are available anywhere, let alone RockAuto.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all for your advice. I will go with the short stabilizer links. Also, it doesn't appear that the KYB "Korean" loaded struts are available anywhere, let alone RockAuto.
I just ordered Moog stabilizer links through RockAuto for KIAs made in US after 11/30/11. The KYB rebate was $50 and I applied for it today; it expires 04/30/22. The links were $51 with tax and shipping. I will let you all know of the final outcome.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I'm on my second set of the Detroit axle struts. They're noisy and really don't ride any better than the originals, but they are much cheaper. This round the springs appear to shift around and make awful noise. The alternative is $400+ per for a loaded set from Kia for the Korean made.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just installed the new "USA" style fully assembled struts (KYB Strut Plus) with the shorter sway bar end links from Moog. I also installed the KYB gas shocks and new body mounts on the rear. Beautiful! The car now rides noiselessly. The only issue is the mount for the antilock brake sensor wire. I may cable tie them, but for now they seem to be OK. Both fully assembled struts, both rear shocks, both rear shock mounts and both "short" sway bar end links from RockAuto (included a $50 rebate from KYB) made that the best $450 that I have ever spent!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a set of Korean SX struts for $20+shipping if anyone wants them. They have been on a shelf in my garage. New in box.

I bought and the shop refused to put on anything I didn't buy from them and I didn't have time to find another so I just bought their super over priced KYB struts.

YES $20 so I can buy some Coors to forget my troubles. I know times are tight so I wanna pass the savings on to someone who needs a hand.
Blue Sports equipment Publication Font Gas

Blue Sports equipment Publication Font Gas

1 - 11 of 11 Posts