Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima Ex
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I am getting a strange chugging sound from my left front tire area. Tires are 3 months old and at proper pressure. I added a little air just to see if the noise would go away and it did for a few miles and then returned. The brake pads are new but the rotors are not. I thought something might be dirty so i blasted the wheel area with the high power hose at the car wash and the sound went away for like a week and a half.. Happened again. Blasted it with the hose went away for another week and came back. I am stumped... Please help. The sound when it happens is a cha cha cha cha cha.. If it is a wheel bearing would it go away when blasted with the hose? The only thing that helps is inflating the tire over recommended pressure( I know not a great thing to do)and blasting it with a pressure washer...Dirty rotor, bad belt in tire? I am having it looked at in a couple days but would appreciate any thoughts... Thanks!

·
Registered
13 Ebony SXL Turbo Touring & Tech Pkgs: Original Everything 195K Drag wheels
440 Posts
Do these vehicles have rock guards around brake rotors? If so, they often get slightly bent (from a rock) and can then rub on rotor. Other than that, its time to have a closer look.

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima Ex
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello. Thanks for the reply..There is a shield there, yes.. I am not sure a pressure hose would blast that out of the way though if it was bent to make the noise stop... I can re-check that..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi everyone. I am getting a strange chugging sound from my left front tire area. Tires are 3 months old and at proper pressure. I added a little air just to see if the noise would go away and it did for a few miles and then returned. The brake pads are new but the rotors are not. I thought something might be dirty so i blasted the wheel area with the high power hose at the car wash and the sound went away for like a week and a half.. Happened again. Blasted it with the hose went away for another week and came back. I am stumped... Please help. The sound when it happens is a cha cha cha cha cha.. If it is a wheel bearing would it go away when blasted with the hose? The only thing that helps is inflating the tire over recommended pressure( I know not a great thing to do)and blasting it with a pressure washer...Dirty rotor, bad belt in tire? I am having it looked at in a couple days but would appreciate any thoughts... Thanks!
Your symptoms sound like a belt issue with the tire. Not sure blasting the tire would help with that but raising the pressure might. When I suspect the tire I would first examine it by feeling the tread, then rotate front to rear and see if the noise follows.

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima Ex
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Your symptoms sound like a belt issue with the tire. Not sure blasting the tire would help with that but raising the pressure might. When I suspect the tire I would first examine it by feeling the tread, then rotate front to rear and see if the noise follows.
Thank you. I will check that by rotating the tires.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.