Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, car was stolen last night and realized there is global tracking on the car but also realized the 1800 number is on the sticker on the window of the car so does me no good. I can not find any information on who to call or a website.. Does anyone have the information on this for me.. I have or had the 2011 Optima ex lux.
thanks

·
Your K5 Optima Store Rep
2012 Kia Optima
1,818 Posts
Oh no. That sucks. I hate thieves. Just not right. This is Kias customer center number. Maybe they can track down the info you need
1-800-333-4KIA (4542).

·
Banned
1,332 Posts
If you had some sort of tracking it's aftermarket, not from KIA, so you would have had to had a subscription service.
I'm not familiar with KIA having this as an option. Maybe it was a service offered by your dealership? Try contacting them also, if not the KIA service line Eric posted would be the next place to try

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
2017 Tesla Model X
28,391 Posts
Really sorry to hear you had your car stolen. Hope they are able to track it down for you. If you have LoJack, you're definitely in good hands. (Sounds like the guy from the All State commercial)

·
Registered
296 Posts
don't our cars have an immobilizer? I'm not exactly sure how it works but I believe it makes your car not able to work without the key.

·
Banned
3,283 Posts
Everything is hackable and bypassable. Or they could just lift the car and then part it out without even driving it. In any case, it pays to have insurance.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Aren't there also unique numbers etched into the windows on newer cars? I don't know where I heard that from, but I think if you look at least at the glass in the driver's side door, there is a code etched into it. Obviously, this wouldn't be of much help if either your or KIA don't know what those numbers are, but if you or they do, if may be of some help to the authorities in identifying it - especially if the thieves don't know about this and they've done something to the VIN plates.

Just a though, don't hold me to any of that...I might be totally off base. In any event, I'm very sorry to hear that. I was under the impression that cars are getting harder to steal these days, what with so many of them having GPS, immobilizers, and the like. It's exactly as Haim said though - everything can be hacked and bypassed with the right know how. If a human was capable of making it, unfortunately that means that there's always going to be someone out there who is capable of reverse engineering it for their own personal gain.

·
Banned
3,283 Posts
As far as I remember, window etching is a dealer option you can get. The frame may have a vin # here and there, but I'm guessing it won't be sold for parts, just scrapped.

·
Registered
186 Posts
As far as I remember, window etching is a dealer option you can get. The frame may have a vin # here and there, but I'm guessing it won't be sold for parts, just scrapped.

I think you're probably right. And the frame does have a VIN number - if you move the passenger's seat all the way back and look under the front of the bottom cushion, there's a removable plastic panel that has the frame number under it. I only know because I laid sound deadening right over it couldn't put the plastic cover back on once I had all the carpet/seats back in...:rolleyes:

You would think that in this day and age, any car equipped with even just a SiriusXM receiver could theoretically be triangulated in the event that it was stolen. After all, every receiver has a unique radio ID number associated with it. But alas, it too would probably be an extra-cost option, or they simply don't offer it because of privacy concerns or what have you.

In any event, keep us updated on this situation. I hope everything turns out for the best.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've got a question, my wife's aunts 2012 optima tgdi was stolen the car has everything as far as options, can kia locate the car ? Please good news would be great I've been in places looking for the car that I should've gotten a tetanus shot, and probably broad spectrum antibiotics

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
There was a recent local news report of Hyundais and kias being able to be stolen using a usb stick somehow.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts