Kia Optima Forums banner

Stereo install guide and information thread. [2014-15]

[LX] : 
19K views 24 replies 13 participants last post by  jdfox1 
#1 · (Edited)
I plan on this being a working thread that I will update and work on while I prepare to install and finally install an aftermarket stereo into a 2015 Kia Optima LX with the base stereo/speakers. I haven't found any exhaustive thread about this and highly encourage help. In fact I will have sections specifically asking for help/advice.

Crutchfield currently has not researched the 2014-15 and was unable to provide me with any information when I requested it. This is partially why I created this thread.

Please feel free to comment if you have input on various sections and I will update accordingly. Thanks all!

Mounting Kit:

Right now it appears the Metra kit (95-7359B double din & 99-7359B single din) is the best option and fits in with the stock look.

Wiring Harness Kit:

In this department Metra is the only dealer I have found as well (part number 70-7304). Seems to be plug and play.

Steering Wheel Control Adapter:

Here the Metra Acceess ASWC seems the be the popular pick (over the PAC options). I believe there is another popular unit but cannot find it at this moment... I will update when I do. I have used the ASWC on my last car (a Mazda 3) and it worked great once I figured out how to wire it.

I have found that the iDatalink Maestro ADS-MSW Steering Wheel Control Adapter is another option though I haven't found as much info on it.

Stereo Unit:

This is obviously a matter of personal opinion/choice. I have always been partial to JVC... but that is just me. I do absolutely require Bluetooth (for music streaming) as well as HD radio.

I plan on going for this one: Kenwood Excelon DPX791BH

This is a new unit that has Bluetooth, HD radio (I personally love this feature), integration with Android, and a new Bluetooth audio streaming system that will produce higher fidelity music.

Warranty Impact:

"Warranty should not be voided if taken to reputable company and as long as it is not an electrical short or faulty wring is the cause of the damage.

For Example if your wheel bearing goes out and car is wobbling down the road the dealership can not justify that your jvc installation is the root cause for your wheel bearing going out when internal failure of the bearing is the root cause.

However if you were to fry some of the on board computer/sensors/ect because of a faulty ground or a fire were to start bc of something then potentially you could be at fault causing a void in warranty." - CALIGROWN707

Miscellaneous Info:

Please comment below with tips, videos, and so on.

See less See more
#5 ·
Warranty should not be voided if taken to reputable company and as long as it is not an electrical short or faulty wring is the cause of the damage.

For Example if your wheel bearing goes out and car is wobbling down the road the dealership can not justify that your jvc installation is the root cause for your wheel bearing going out when internal failure of the bearing is the root cause.

However if you were to fry some of the on board computer/sensors/ect because of a faulty ground or a fire were to start bc of something then potentially you could be at fault causing a void in warranty.

#7 ·
Sorry about the delay. Things got busy and I had to put this project on hold. I am updating right now. I have actually decided to go with a new stereo from Kenwood (it will come out in early April). Thanks for replying and I am sorry I didn't respond earlier!

#8 ·
just took delivery of my 2015 LX yesterday. The radio will be one of the first things I do, as I can get money together. I'd love to stay in the loop on this and see how you make out. I want a touch-screen UVO-like radio, that will retain factory wheel controls. Wishing you luck! I will follow! :)

#12 ·
The iDataLink Maestro piece is nice because you can program multiple functions to each button on your wheel

the alpine power pack metioned is also a VERY nice option. Will hide easily behind radio inside dash. 2 versions availble..1 for alpine decks and a universal option for any radio.

#18 ·
The source is not the issue, outside from functionality problems.

But to put this in perspective, the cheapest head units are under 0.1% total harmonic distortion. Speakers are generally anywhere between 1-10% total harmonic distortion, and that's with great speakers. On top of that, harmonic distortion is only audible down to about 1% under perfect conditions, with test tones.

On the other hand, the car itself can bring frequency response swings of 20+ decibels, which is more audible than harmonic distortion. And no speaker is immune to that. Add to that the fact that you can hear as little as a couple microseconds of time delay, and the fact that you sit offset from center, means dsp is the single most important part of any sound quality based stereo system.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.