Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima, EX
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

I have an oem Harman Kardon sound system and the sound keeps cutting out intermittently. I will hear static within the music and then the sound just cuts out. I tested all of the power leads and ran a new ground wire to the amp in case the ground was bad, no luck. I then thought it was a faulty amp so I replaced it with a new oem amp, no change. I changed the headunit with an oem, no change.

Does this sound system have a data/wiring interface module between the headunit and amp? I'm thinking that there may be one and that may be failing since I've changed everything else but don't even know where to start looking for it.

Vehicle info: 2016, Kia Optima, EX , Harman Kardon sound system, VIN 5XX

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
2013 Ebony SXL Turbo: Original Everything @ about 189K with Drag wheels.
348 Posts
Did you put this stereo in yourself? If so, any instructions/diagrams of suggested connections included. If you have none of those, I'd go to HK site for info. All grounds good and + signal from head to amp solid? Sure headunit isn't bad?

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima, EX
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey HighMiles, This is an oem system. I originally thought the amp was bad so I changed it. Then the headunit, so I changed that too. I changed the headunit and the amp with new oem replacements. I've tested the power when the system is working and when it is not, there is no loss of power. I did run a new ground to the amp and connected it to the chassis just in case it was a bad ground. HK has been no help, they do not support oem automobile sound systems. HK told me to take the car to the dealer and the dealer had my car for three days and the technician pretty much just drove my car around for three days and the sound never cut out. There is no power loss to the headunit or the amp, either no sound or sound like normal, then sound mixed with static and then it cuts out.

I was told to check the CAN-H (is CAN - Controller Area Network?) input connection but I'm not sure how to check it. I have the pinout for the amp but not for the headunit Is this car's sound system configured as Media Oriented Systems Transport (MOST bus network) and if so, where would I find the schematic on where all the contact points are?

I was looking for a pinout diagram of my headunit, maybe that can help me.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
What are you using for your source of audio does this happen when you change sources like am/fm, bluetooth , satalite radio ? If you buy a 2 male to 3.5 rca you can plug the 3.5 to your phone and the 2 males to your amplifier and play music from your phone if it plays without any issue then you know it's your head unit that is the problem . If not you must have a short somewhere and you need to check all of your speaker connections make sure no water damage or wires that have corroded. Sometimes these type of issue's can you just have to play processes of elimination by testing each connection within the audio system.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts