Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2011 EX Turbo
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'll try my best to explain this... When I'm at a higher speed such as 55+, while braking to slow down for a red light or traffic, the steering wheel starts to shake. Sometimes it can be very minimal and other times it can be a lot. When I'm I'm at 35 mph or below, it doesn't seem to shake/wobble at all while breaking. I really don't think the wheels are out of balance and the air pressures are fine. Just cusious if anyone had any insight on this or have experienced the same thing, thanks.

·
Registered
2019 Mercedes-Benz Sprinter 170
2,114 Posts
First, make sure you don't have loose lug nuts. I know that sounds dumb and obvious but don't assume anything. But form what you are describing, it sounds you have bad rotors.

---------- Post added at 08:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:50 AM ----------

Brake Failure Causes - HowStuffWorks

·
Registered
2011 EX Turbo
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First, make sure you don't have loose lug nuts. I know that sounds dumb and obvious but don't assume anything. But form what you are describing, it sounds you have bad rotors.

---------- Post added at 08:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:50 AM ----------

I was thinking rotors as well. I guess it's time to get a set of R1 Concept rotors

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
56 Posts
My 11 has done that same experience at a almost complete stop before.. Not consistant nor all the time either

·
Registered
2013 Kia K5
145 Posts
I'd check all brake components first. Rotors principally, then the pads, then the fluid level/condition.

If everything is up to par there, check all the suspension parts.

From my experience, the last time I had this happen was in a Nissan Sentra, and my tie rods were bad, and my ball joints had started to crack (late night rally races really do take a toll on such a little car). And that was after I already had the brakes done (with all new pads AND rotors), four new tires, and a precautionary alignment. Ended up costing well over $500, and it still wasn't fixed.

If it's still in warranty, bring it to Kia and have them check the caliper pins and the harder to reach/find without a shop jack suspension parts. They'll be able to tell you exactly the problem, and give you an accurate price quote, all at no charge.

And if your service advisor is as nice as mine, they might even throw in a complimentary car wash too. ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts

OK mine is the opposite the faster I go that’s when it starts shaking and when I hear bumps and holes in the road it makes it shake and if you have any information on that please help me ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
OK mine is the opposite the faster I go that’s when it starts shaking and when I hear bumps and holes in the road it makes it shake and if you have any information on that please help me ?
And it’s like the steering wheel nothing else but the steering wheel

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,610 Posts
Speed vibration, wheel balance, bent wheel, bad tire, and with problems over bumps etc, have the front suspension checked, struts, ball joints, tie rod ends, rack, LCA bushings.
Start by moving front wheels to rear to see if any difference, then move to inspection.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Easy one, if it does it when braking only then is its front rotor need to machined (turned) or replaced !!!!! if steering shakes its front, if rear rotors are wrapped steering wheel won,t shake that much.
1. the alignment will not cause a shake at all!
2. A Bubble or out of round tire you will get a shake at all speeds
3. the balance you will get t shake at a certain speed like say 58 to 67 mph
If you are hard when braking, then just get new rotors because when you turn a rotor it gets thin and will wrap easier!
38-year master Toyota mechanic. :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Just went through this with one of my other vehicles. Caliper was seized. Rotor also needed to be machined. When I would go to brake, it was hard shaking and bumping.

Once that was fixed I still had shaking at high speeds because my front tires were bad (I needed lower control arms prior to all of this that killed my tires). As soon as I replaced the tires, almost all shaking is 99% gone. I think I should have replaced rotors though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts