Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2013 Kia Optima EX, the steering wheel sticks, I would appreciate any help you can give me.
Thanks,
scase60

·
Registered
2013 Ebony SXL Turbo: Original Everything @ about 189K with Drag wheels.
203 Posts
So give some specifics. Does it stick at the same point of the turn (near middle, right or left end of range of travel), does it make any noise at that point? Any CEL codes on dash (or pending)?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It sticks near the middle, but I don't hear any noise. No codes, I am thinking about taking it to the dealership, if I have to. I just checked the buttons on the steering wheel and they are working fine.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Common problem. Lots of threads mentioning this. Seems to be more prevalent in colder temperatures.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When I go around curves, turning the wheel about halfway, the wheel just wants to stick and stay in that position, if I were in a field, it would just keep going in circles, without me touching the wheel, which could be dangerous. And it seems to happen most when turning to the right.
I want to Thank you for your help too, now in case, I forget later!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Are you sure it's not the flexible steering coupling starting to go bad, before it makes noise?

KIA letter extending warranty for steering coupler

Please describe in more detail how the steering wheel is sticking.
Are you sure it's not the flexible steering coupling starting to go bad, before it makes noise?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Thank you for helping me.
I looked at your red letter "KIA letter extending warranty for steering coupler" and I tried to click on it, but nothing happened, Sometimes when I go around a curve about half way into the turn it sticks or freezes, and I have yank the steering back, to keep from crashing. I am concerned that when My wife drives, it will stick on her, and she will be unable to straighten it back out.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you for helping me.
I looked at your red letter "KIA letter extending warranty for steering coupler" and I tried to click on it, but nothing happened, Sometimes when I go around a curve about half way into the turn it sticks or freezes, and I have yank the steering back, to keep from crashing. I am concerned that when My wife drives, it will stick on her, and she will be unable to straighten it back out.
It does not make any noise, yet. Also I went ahead and purchased the Steering Coupler, it is due to come in tomorrow, is it difficult to install?
Thank you again for helping me.
Stephen

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you very much, for helping me, I went to Amazon and ordered it for my EX it should be in tomorrow, I guess I will go to UTube and see how it is installed. I really do appreciate what you and KingFatty has done, because I didn't have a clue to the problem.
Thanks again,
scase60

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,021 Posts
There are other problems it could be: maybe there is some debris in the rack and pinion gears, or something binding the steering column.

Can you see behind the front wheels, look for the rubber boots of the rack and pinion system. If those boots are compromised, they can allow debris to enter, then that can bind up the smooth operation of the meshing between the teeth in the rack and pinion.

The boots can come loose, or they can rip or break open.

Here is what the rack and pinion system is:

here is a picture showing the teeth that are normally protected under the boots, but here the boots are removed to show the teeth:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank you for posting the letter. I am having an issue w/my steering and have an appointment at the dealership to fix.

·
Registered
2013 Ebony SXL Turbo: Original Everything @ about 189K with Drag wheels.
203 Posts
OP - wonder if this isn't the issue:

Summary of TSB: ECM UPGRADE - STEERING LOGIC IMPROVEMENT - THIS BULLETIN PROVIDES INFORMATION RELATED TO THE MDPS ECU SOFTWARE UPGRADE FOR SOME 2011 ~ 2014MY OPTIMA (TF/QF) VEHICLES, PRODUCED FROM JOB #1 THROUGH JULY 27, 2014, WHICH MAY EXPERIENCE A NOTCHY FEEL IN THE STEERING WHEEL. TO CORRECT THIS CONDITION, THE VEHICLE SHOULD BE EVALUATED USING THE MDPS EFFORT MEASUREMENT S/W, DETAILED IN THE ATTACHED REPAIR PROCEDURE, TO DETERMINE WHETHER AN IMPROVED STEERING LOGIC SHOULD BE INSTALLED IN THE MDPS ECU, OR IF AN MDPS COLUMN REPLACEMENT IS REQUIRED. TO DETERMINE WHETHER THE UPDATED MDPS ECU REFLASH APPLIES TO A VEHICLE YOU ARE WORKING ON, OR WHETHER IT HAS ALREADY BEEN PERFORMED, VERIFY ROM ID USING THE TABLES IN THIS TSB.

·
Registered
13 Posts
When I go around curves, turning the wheel about halfway, the wheel just wants to stick and stay in that position, if I were in a field, it would just keep going in circles, without me touching the wheel, which could be dangerous. And it seems to happen most when turning to the right.
I want to Thank you for your help too, now in case, I forget later!
Late to the party, but our 2012 had the same issue and we are in Florida so it wasn’t due to cold temps. Had the steering column changed under extended warranty. Unfortunately 2 years later we have the same problem only this time, no warranty.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts