Kia Optima Forums banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2012 KIA OPTIMA
269 Posts
Another gripe I have is the steering gauages are white but the rest of the dash is amber.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Optima
76 Posts
i'm kinda surprised most of you are ok with this. for me, it's not about knowing where the switches are [after almost week i do] but it's the aesthetics. i thought the red lighting on the wheel looked hot. as someone who likes my dash fairly dark when i drive at night, the low dash setting renders the steering wheel lights almost invisible. i think instead of being so complacent, we should be complaining to kia. it would seem like a very easy fix for them to either add some kind of additional rheostat [on my SX there are two empty switch slots next to the dash dimmer and traction control switches] or at least give us the option of a "one-shot" adjustment. i haven't driven much at night yet, but i also don't recall even seeing the "mood lighting" under the front door arm rests. if i can't see them, trust me, there will be a problem. either give me what you promise me, or don't offer me something you can't deliver. i don't know about the rest of you, but my money doesn't come easy. i want what i paid for.

i'll get off my soapbox now....
i'm STILL surprised people aren't more pissed off about this. my "mood lights" work and are visible if you hold something white directly below them. they look nothing like in the brochure. as far as i'm concerned, this is a manufacturing issue. i feel the same way about the dark, un-adjustable steering wheel lights. i know where everything is, but that's not the point! this stuff has me bothered and i'm surprised everyone seems so mellow about it. am i the only one who cares? shouldn't we all be ganging up on Kia to come up with a fix for those who want it?

·
Registered
510 Posts
i'm STILL surprised people aren't more pissed off about this. my "mood lights" work and are visible if you hold something white directly below them. they look nothing like in the brochure. as far as i'm concerned, this is a manufacturing issue. i feel the same way about the dark, un-adjustable steering wheel lights. i know where everything is, but that's not the point! this stuff has me bothered and i'm surprised everyone seems so mellow about it. am i the only one who cares? shouldn't we all be ganging up on Kia to come up with a fix for those who want it?
I don't want the interior of my car lit up like a christmas tree, so no it's probably not an issue for most.
Then again, I am the first to have reported to Kia the radio issues (so they claim) so I guess little things do bother me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
It's the 1st thing I notice the 1st time I drove at night. Dim or bright, they should match. Turning down the dash light will dim the steering wheel lights too so that's not gonna work. Its annoying and I am living with it. I don't like the white overhead light neither, I think it should be red. I will change that out but for the dim steering wheel lights its too difficult for me to remedy.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Isnt there a little red ring around the key hole? Ho much brighter do you need it to see where you put the key? I think it
even dims with the dome light too... so, just dont close your driver side door till you insert your key... just saying.

·
Former Administrator
2011 K5 Turbo
6,926 Posts
If I had just spent over 60K on this car, then yes, it would bug me. But this is still a Korean economy car, so I can't expect everything to be 100% how I like it. It's just going to happen, unfortunately.

There is a thread about modifying the resistors to make the stock mood lighting brighter, if you're feeling adventurous you could try and locate the module that controls the steering wheel LEDs and do the same.

http://www.optimaforums.com/forum/22-optima-diy/4406-diy-modifying-factory-door-mood-light-more-light-difficult-job.html

·
Registered
998 Posts
^^ that is completely true. When you are budget, there are just some things you have to cope with. Although yes, it does suck how dim the lights are on the steering wheel controls but at least they aren't extremely bright lol

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just bought my 2012 Optima SX yesterday and drove at night for the first time tonight. I noticed this oddity right away and did a google search on it which brought me to this thread. I am happy that it isn't a malfunction specific to me but a "design flaw" by kia which may or may not be fixed in the future. It does annoy me some but I suppose after a month or so, I'll know all the buttons by touch and won't care. Just to put my 2 cents in to Kia.... I would like my dimming to work across all the lights and not just the dashboard. Wondering what bonehead decided to keep the steering wheel lights the same brightness throughout and not be adjustable via the dimmer.

·
Registered
468 Posts
ok guys i see there's alot of interest including myself :) i'm going to try to do a mod for the sterring wheel lighting and see what i come up with stay tuned :)

·
Registered
846 Posts
I too think the steering wheel lights are much too dim. Unless I turn the dash lights up all the way (which I would never do at night) I can't see them at all. I suppose a fix might be to tint the gauge pods and the nav screen so you can turn the brightness all the way up without blinding you at night, and then you can see the steering wheel lights.

Tony

·
Registered
11 Posts
Couldn't agree with more about the lighting issues. My Optima is only 3 weeks old and my ONLY complaints are the interior lighting.. both Mood and steering wheel. Will be doing a mod if I get "what expect" from Kia- which is a "we can't" help response to my complaint to Consumer Affairs.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts