Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

What else could cause the clunking steering wheel symptoms? The sound seems to come from the steering column. If I turn the wheel hard I can feel the clunk vibration in my feet through the floorboard.

Although the symptoms are exactly like the steering wheel clunk from a worn steering coupler, the service department claims to have replaced the steering coupler under the extended warranty TSB five months ago. I don't fully trust them, but maybe there is another part of the steering column or power steering unit that can make a clunk?

The clunk seems to stop when I turn off the car and try to move the wheel. Does that rule out the suspension and isolate the problem to something to do with the power steering unit?

I've replaced both sway bar end links, and also replaced the left outer tie rod. Although this helped with overall smoother suspension/steering operations, the steering clunk remains. I'm thinking it's not suspension based on how the sound seems to be from the steering column inside the cabin, but I'm willing to continue replacing all parts of the suspension if needed. Maybe there is a bushing or something somewhere in the suspension that makes a sound when turning the wheel that you can hear inside the cabin. Maybe an inner tie rod, do they clunk?

The clunk/knock happens when I turn the wheel side to side, or just turn the steering wheel from being still. I don't even have to make the tires move, just apply pressure to the steering wheel without turning the tires. Happens when car is sitting still or moving, though it seems more pronounced when sitting still.

There is no clunk if I just smoothly turn the car when driving, if I'm smooth when turning the steering wheel. I keep coming back to the suspicion that the steering coupler is bad and the shop never replaced it, since the symptoms are so spot-on for a bad coupler.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Correction, the clunk is there when the car is off.

Hmm any tips on how to diagnose and isolate what might be the loose thing that clunks when steering wheel is turned back and forth?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts